I hate my voice, tell me if this is shite...

What's Hot
Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
edited March 2017 in Music
https://www.dropbox.com/s/3mh2gouvpcrb797/Blood&Oil_VeryRough2.mp3?dl=0

Tell me if this is garbage. Coz I'm losing all objectivity here. And seriously... be as brutal as you want. Any kind of feedback, but particularly the vocals.
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13929
    edited March 2017
    Can't play it on iPad, says I need an account, MP3 files can't be previewed, put it on Soundcloud

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    edited March 2017
    Can't play it on iPad, says I need an account, MP3 files can't be previewed, put it on Soundcloud
    Get a proper computer. ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    No, your voice isn't shite. 

What is it that you hate about it? To be fair, I hate my voice and it sounds terrible recorded (to me) but others seem to think it's okay.. we are overly critical of our own voices anyway.

If it's tuning you're worried about (there's a few notes where you scoop your voice in to tune to my ear) then a bit of technique and practice will see that sorted really quickly. Are you singing through your forehead?
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    By forehead, I mean using your head voice and feeling the note in the centre of your forehead..
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6084
    You've got quite a smooth, very English tone to your voice with a gentle vibrato. Its quite haunting in the mix. Almost ye-old fashioned folk edge to it. Just need to watch the intonation a bit, but fair doos it was pretty good. If I tried that it would sound like a badger having its arse shaved.
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8481
    We all hate our voices!

Can't listen tonight, will crank it in the office tomorrow morning and give my verdict. :) But I know it won't be bad because I've heard your voice before and it's good...
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    Has potential, certainly not 'bad'. A million times better than I can sing. I hate my voice, I hate my speaking voice. If anyone gets a video camera out I just clam up, I can't bear to hear myself on a video.
  • I dont even like the way your text looks.
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8481
    what do you know, I was right.
  • relic245relic245 Frets: 945
    Lemmy, he had a shit voice.
    Oh and Bob dylan - truly aweful
    Have you listened to Bruce Springsteen's voice on born to run recently? Not good

And, and and and........

Come to think of it how many modern recording artist's have a good voice?

To me, and I think to a lot of people, the song is most important and then does the voice sit well within the context of the music and the lyric.

• relic245 said:

Come to think of it how many modern recording artist's have a good voice?

I know! You can't make out the words they are singing these days. And whatever happened to having a good beat you could dance to?

• TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7801
    I think it's quite normal to not be that keen on your own voice, I think it sounds good. Fits the music well. Sure in places your are sliding into tune, but I think if you've not sung much you will get better and better. 

Quit worrying about it and sing with confidence the whole track sounds pretty good to me, it's moody, atmospheric and the heavy section is providing what it should. It's far more interesting than the stuff I find myself doing.
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Quite Steven Wilson - not bad at all, keep up the good work!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • m_cm_c Frets: 1211

Sounded good to me.

Only thing I'd say, is I feel the vocals could do with being a bit more aggressive/rough. In places they just felt a bit too smooth compared with the rest of the mix.

• revsorgrevsorg Frets: 874
    There is a scientific reason for why people don't like their own voices.
  • prh777prh777 Frets: 143
    I enjoyed the track. Very much my thing

are you singing with a 'head voice' in the opening sections?  Can you try an 'aaarngh' sound instead of the 'ooongh'  sound to harden it up a bit?  I dislike my singing when I do the latter as it reminds me of singing hymns badly.  

Am I allowed to give tool references for vocal style moments to explain myself?  The oongh is the prelude singing 'illusion' sound to parabol in Maynards voice.   Dunno if that helps....
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    I'm liking the direction you are taking with your vocals, Drew.
    Keep working on it- it is sounding very nice so far.
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    Nothing like shite.  The only issue is, the first line you sing is the weakest, seems to slightly go out of tune.  Never let that be the opening line.  However, it really isn't bad.  Expect to hate it though, because it is you.

Not my sort of music, but that's almost a compliment ;) 
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    Church. It sounds vacuous, self indulgence, banal and lacking any form of spiritual human communication.  If it were a dog I wouldn't trust it because I would be thinking it's been kept in a flat all it's life and it's never been socialized.  Although in fairness, all that sort of music sounds like that to me, it's not personal. 

A human voice is a wonderful thing because it's poetry and a story and a union of spirits. It can cut through the room and communicate and put people instantly there.  I'd give up on the OCD and just find yourself, whether in tune or out of tune.  I don't want to live in your flat. Go to the pub, get pissed make random animal noises that make sense at the time and sing spontaneously for no reason at all other than you want to communicate and it seems like the right thing to do at the time and get away from that god awful music, it is leading you astray.

I don't mean to sound rude, it's great to aspire to perfection, but down the pub, you'd be singing that and some girl or fella would walk in and blow you away and put you on the floor.  If I'm being honest, I'm not liking the direction at all because I think you're on a hiding to nothing, you have to do it your own way and realise your assets. It's the same with guitar eh. You can sing, but I don't like this no.  This is self indulgent bullshit, but then that whole genre is I suppose.

Saw Phil Lewis of LA Guns the other night, he can still hit the notes perfectly at 61, I still struggle to reach an octave below him, it's not going to be my life's mission to acheive the impossible, I can make animal noises.

Too literal

B+

Backdoor Children Of The Sock
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • prh777prh777 Frets: 143
    I feel I should clarify 'when I sing hymns badly when require by protocol to attend a place which concerns itself with things I don't believe in'. Let's not let that bit derail Drew's thread.