Recording silently with a guitar head and Fryette power station....

HI all, 
noob to  this so please bare with me... 
If i wanted to record my amp head silently i need a load box and a line out right? 
So to record my amp through the lineout of the power station into an interface i need to have a load connected to the PS - Do i need to buy a seperate load box for this?
Ive read about using a dummy load etc but I dont want to go making my own incase I blow the shit out of the amp etc...
Any suggestions as to what to use please?

Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I use a Koch loadbox for this exact purpose.  I run my head into it without using a cab and then take the line out straight into my soundcard.  Bear in mind that if you're using a loadbox you aren't taking the signal from the 'line out' but rather from the 'cab out' - if you use a dedicated line out without having a cab plugged in you'll blow the amp.

I like the Koch because you can run back into the cab for room monitoring and/or mic'ing if you wanted - I expect the Fryette works in a similar fashion.

The Koch has an emulated 4x12 and 1x12 built in or I can turn it off and use IR's in the DAW.  

Quite a few manufacturers make similar products, Two Notes, etc.  Some amps also have USB direct outs, but I dont know how good these are.
  • The Two Notes Torpedo line is a similar concept to the Koch.  It's a reactive loadbox, so behaves like a speaker rather than a passive dummy load (a big resistor effectively).  What's more, they run alongside their Wall of Sound plugin, which comes with over 50 cab simulations and about 8 mic sims, all of which are tweakable; mic placement, EQ, compressor, stereo / mono...it goes on.  Definitely worth a look for home recording.