Mac to Pc compatibility?

What's Hot
Me an my mate both have reaper, he uses a Mac and I use a Pc.  We're going to be doing a little recording project and his set up is vastly superior to mine ib every way however there is two tracks i plan to do on my pc. One midi track ( which will be used with ez drummer) and one audio track.

A Google suggests this will be ok, but does anyone know of any possible cross platform compatibility issues I might encounter? Should I save the pc version tracks as any particular format so they work first time on Mac? Or am i still living in the 90s and shouldn't worry about this?

I was planning to just 3xport as 1 midi track and one wav file. Then simply realign then them back up at the Mac end.

Any comments are welcome
Thanks
Fraser
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10405
    If your transferring files between your machines on a drive then use a drive formatted to FAT 32 as both Windows and Mac can read and write to that. If your transferring files via the net \ email than it's not an issue as a wav and a .mid are platform independent. 
    In 2020 we used Mac and PC quite happily together so you should be fine
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • funkyfrazfunkyfraz Frets: 93
    That's good to know about the drive! I would never habe even thought about that! 

Cheers for the heads up, and the other info!
  • wave100wave100 Frets: 150
    I don't use Reaper but I have successfully transferred project files between Mac and PC using Cubase and Ableton Live.
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4184
    Fat32 ! Don't you mean NTFS?, Mac's don't see FAT32 anymore.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Aye, NTFS.. in fact, ensure you format and set up on the PC - the Mac will be fine with it then.
    Depends on what OSX is on the machine I guess, older versions can read and write to FAT 32 but only read NTFS .... not write to it 

You sure Mac's don't see FAT 32 amymore ? Got a 2016 Macpro here and it see's my FAT 32 drive just fine 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    exFAT might be a better bet if you need larger than 4Gb in one file 

http://www.laptopmag.com/articles/format-drive-for-windows-and-mac
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • notanonnotanon Frets: 607
    Bog standard flash drive is all we use, never had a hassle unless you use a VST on the source that isn't installed on the target machine. Those are far 32 aren't they never bothered looking for years.
    Copy the folder and then rename V2, V3 if you want to keep versions, reaper projects are all self contained folders (usually).
    *fat32* in last post of course.
  • funkyfrazfunkyfraz Frets: 93
    Well he Mac really didn't like the flash drive. The files were readable but for some strange reason it kept crashing the Mac.  After about 5 attempts the tracks transferred only the hard drive and worked fine! 

The usb was fat32 . Thanks for your help guys!