USB issues (Boss DD-500 Editor)

Wasn't sure where to put this, but I know that several of youse IT types hang around this forum and I'm not sure if this is a generic USB issue or something specific to the software/hardware involved.

Basically, the problem is this: when I connect my DD-500 to my laptop (Window 10) the computer makes the little noise that says you've connected a new USB device. All good. I start up the Editor programme and it tells me that I have the DD-500 connected to a USB port and asks if I want to connect to it. I do. It throws up a dialogue box that says "connecting", then when the progress bar gets to 100%.... nothing. It should show me in the Editor what presets are saved to the DD-500 in each slot, but everything's blank, so something's wrong with the connection.

This was working perfectly a few days ago. I've tried uninstalling/reinstalling both the Editor and the driver, restarting the laptop and powering off the DD-500- no joy. I ran Microsoft's USB troubleshooter, which was about as helpful as their tech support ever is- it just told me that the device was in a "failed state" or something. The DD-500 is working exactly as it should in all other respects.

So what next? Duff cable, or something more techy?

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12346
    Windows 10 being its usual crappy self I would suspect. I get the same thing when I'm downloading pics from my camera. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, with seemingly no rhyme or reason behind it. Never had a single problem till I "upgraded" to W10 :s

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    I don't know if it's the same issue but I had problems with an audio interface not working some of the time in Reaper.  It turned out that the computer was turning off power to the USB ports in the name of energy saving.  Once that had happened Reaper wouldn't recognise it any more even if you unplugged it and plugged it in again.  You had to reboot.  You can go into Control panel somewhere (can't remember where) and disable the power saving on USB devices which fixed my problem.

Yours may not be the same problem but it might be worth a try to change the power saving settings on the USB.
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5132
    crunchman said:
    I don't know if it's the same issue but I had problems with an audio interface not working some of the time in Reaper.  It turned out that the computer was turning off power to the USB ports in the name of energy saving.  Once that had happened Reaper wouldn't recognise it any more even if you unplugged it and plugged it in again.  You had to reboot.  You can go into Control panel somewhere (can't remember where) and disable the power saving on USB devices which fixed my problem.

Yours may not be the same problem but it might be worth a try to change the power saving settings on the USB.

Hmm. Battery power was low on the laptop last night when I tried it. Worth a try.

• Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4627
    A few thinks. If connected directly, try a powered Hub.
    If on powered hub, try connecting directly.
    If it is USB 2.0 it may not like USB 3.0/1 ports (they are supposed to be backwards compatible but so far I have
    found they are not).
    Also I have found some devices like to have one of those magnetic/screening rings on the cable (my scanner for instances will not work without one)
    Okay. 
    Tried turning USB power saving off and rebooting - no change
    Tried a different cable - no change

Going to try some of @Axe_meister's suggestions tonight.

• randellarandella Frets: 4165
    I suspect the device (your Boss thingy) will have a driver that will have been installed automatically when you first plugged it in.

Might be worth heading to Boss/Roland/Yamaha's website and seeing if there's a copy of the driver.  There might be a newer version, or it might just be that yours has become corrupted - it does happen.

Look around the website for 'Support' - manufacturers usually have a repository of these things organised by device.
    randella said:
    I suspect the device (your Boss thingy) will have a driver that will have been installed automatically when you first plugged it in.

Might be worth heading to Boss/Roland/Yamaha's website and seeing if there's a copy of the driver.  There might be a newer version, or it might just be that yours has become corrupted - it does happen.

Look around the website for 'Support' - manufacturers usually have a repository of these things organised by device.
    I've checked- it's definitely the newest version of the driver because there's only one version. I tried uninstalling it once, but it couldn't hurt to try again.

• randellarandella Frets: 4165
    I've checked- it's definitely the newest version of the driver because there's only one version. I tried uninstalling it once, but it couldn't hurt to try again.
    Ah cool, no worries then - sorry for the grandmother/suck eggs advice but it's a common fault people often miss.
    randella said:
    Ah cool, no worries then - sorry for the grandmother/suck eggs advice but it's a common fault people often miss.
    When it comes to computers I'm definitely the grandmother who needs to be taught to suck eggs, so it's all good.

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    What make is your laptop? If Windows 10 automatically updates then you made need a driver/BIOS upgrade.

Try this:

1) Press Windows key + X key when you are at desktop.

2) Select Device Manager.

3) Expand Universal serial Bus Controller.

4) Right on the Universal serial Bus Controller drivers and click on Update driver software.

5) Update all the driver listed under Universal serial Bus Controller.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    Fretwired said:
    What make is your laptop? If Windows 10 automatically updates then you made need a driver/BIOS upgrade.

It's a Lenovo

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26560
    Fretwired said:

It's a Lenovo
    Which Lenovo? They often have both USB 2.0 and USB 3.0/3.1 ports. If you're plugging into the 3.0 port, that could well be the cause of the issue as @Axe_meister says.
    <space for hire>
    Fretwired said:

It's a Lenovo
    Which Lenovo? They often have both USB 2.0 and USB 3.0/3.1 ports. If you're plugging into the 3.0 port, that could well be the cause of the issue as @Axe_meister says.
    I forget. G50-something I think. It does have one port that's blue on the inside, which I presume is the USB 3.0.

Should I stick to the USB 2.0 ports?

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26560
    Fretwired said:

It's a Lenovo
    I forget. G50-something I think. It does have one port that's blue on the inside, which I presume is the USB 3.0.

Should I stick to the USB 2.0 ports?
    Yes, blue is USB 3.0. Try using the other ports; it's even in the manual that the DD-500 won't work with some USB 3.0 ports, so they clearly know there's a problem.
    <space for hire>
    edited March 2017
    OK. Tried using only USB 2.0 ports. No joy.
    Tried updating USB drivers. No joy.
    Reinstalled both the driver and the Editor (downloaded again from the Boss website). No joy.
    Any more suggestions? 

Anyone?

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    edited March 2017
    Have you tried Google?  There is a good chance that someone else many have had the same problem.  The solutions to most tech problems are available somewhere out there - as long as you can think of the right search.
    I'll try to think of some more stuff to search for :)

• wave100wave100 Frets: 150
    If you do Win + x as @Fretwired suggested then select Settings then Devices, is it listed? If not, you could try manually adding a device. Does it show up in Device Manager?