A fully MIDI controlled, analogue FX board...

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• colourofsoundcolourofsound Frets: 393
    edited March 2017
    @Teetonetal Well, I said above that you'd have to break the rules a little bit. But with this setup you can pick and choose the 'right' digital pedals for you. And the Neunaber is the only digital on there! Apart from the Bitquest *ahem*
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7801
    I do agree. But I would go for a midi reverb as control seems to be the point of the exercise.
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1993
    @sgosden ;Crikey, no idea. The thing with this thread is that for me, it's a total fantasy, and financially impractical for me at least!

Ah the fantasy rigs. Whilst the missus reads 'fifty shades of grey', we're pouring over unobtainable gear with an awkward semi!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7144
    I do agree. But I would go for a midi reverb as control seems to be the point of the exercise.
    And if you go for an Eventide Space, you don't need a controller - it can send all the program stuff for the rest of theM. 
    And if you go for an Eventide Space, you don't need a controller - it can send all the program stuff for the rest of theM. 
    But couldn't do the parallel mixing or order swapping. Would work very well if triggered by a laptop I guess?
    True. You can use it for all pgm changes, clock etc etc 
  • I have 3 Chase Bliss pedals with modded Midibox and a fairly small DMC controller - works really well. Recently got Brothers pedal so that will replace the Wombtone as the DMC I have only supports 3 pedals.
  • I do agree. But I would go for a midi reverb as control seems to be the point of the exercise.
    But couldn't do the parallel mixing or order swapping. Would work very well if triggered by a laptop I guess?
    Same with an H9?

• I do agree. But I would go for a midi reverb as control seems to be the point of the exercise.
    The Hideously expensive Empress Reverb would meet all midi based verb requirements; as well as Eventide efforts. 
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    3x H9
    sorted. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    3x H9
    sorted. 
    Although we are now far, far away from an all analogue pedal board :)

I reckon ES 8 as the only digital bit allows midi control and pre  / post amp, so:

Cali 76 CD, Brothers, empress tremolo 2, Clusterflux, Wombtone, Spectre, Tonal recall Moog MF104m with a CM Headroom (FS-able dual settings) is about as close to perfectly all analogue as you will get.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 27585
    It's an intriguing idea, but it strikes me that it's a bit like building a Babbage Engine when a £10 calculator will do the sums you need faster and doesn't take up a whole room.

Admittedly that doesn't stop me wanting a Babbage Engine.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Sporky said:
    It's an intriguing idea, but it strikes me that it's a bit like building a Babbage Engine when a £10 calculator will do the sums you need faster and doesn't take up a whole room.

I spent years devoting a lot of my money, thoughts, time, planning and building into a setup like exactly like this and even when I got EVERYTHING I wanted and was happy, I am still flipping it for your "calculator" - and am under no financial (or wife) pressures to do so.

If that doesn't speak volumes, I don't know what does. My point is, "happiness" isn't something we tend to settle with, even when we get everything we want.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5128
    Sporky said:

Yep. It's also based on the assumption that analogue sounds better than digital, which may have been true(r) once*, but probably isn't any more.

*Having said that, I can think of a ton of pedals that use modern digital processing to emulate old, less hi-fi digital because people think it sounds better, or at least that it has "a sound" that you'd want, and can't get otherwise.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• Sporky said:

I spent years devoting a lot of my money, thoughts, time, planning and building into a setup like exactly like this and even when I got EVERYTHING I wanted and was happy, I am still flipping it for your "calculator" - and am under no financial (or wife) pressures to do so.

If that doesn't speak volumes, I don't know what does. My point is, "happiness" isn't something we tend to settle with, even when we get everything we want.
    Very wise.
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    3x H9
    sorted. 
    Although we are now far, far away from an all analogue pedal board :)

I reckon ES 8 as the only digital bit allows midi control and pre  / post amp, so:

Cali 76 CD, Brothers, empress tremolo 2, Clusterflux, Wombtone, Spectre, Tonal recall Moog MF104m with a CM Headroom (FS-able dual settings) is about as close to perfectly all analogue as you will get.
    Apologies, my brain deleted the word Analogue. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7350
    Just the synthetic everything nature of it, menu diving etc etc. I'm sure it's relatively intuitive, but I mean look at my board... I like lots of knobs! Whheeeey. 
    There is no menu diving. 

(not suggesting you *should* like them, just correcting in case anyone else wonders) 
    Red ones are better. 
    Menu diving aside, it's still modelling. I don't really want an approximation of something if possible. They're not for me. It's ok though, I'm sure Line 6 will survive. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I suppose it's funny  in that a fair few analogue pedals are attempts at recreating mechanical effects or tubes... delay and OD / distortion spring to mind.