Cable Research Question

What's Hot
AdjiAdji Frets: 142
in FX tFB Trader
Hi everyone, got a bit of a research question it would be great if you could taker some time to share some thoughts.

When wiring your pedalboard for example, what colour of cable would you prefer, and would you prefer a different colour for audio as opposed to DC power?
More importantly, would cable colour choice prohibit a purchase? For example, I'm pretty keen on having all my cables black (boring I know) and if the cable was only available in say red, I probably wouldn't purchase it.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Thanks guys.

Comments

• Different colours can look cool, but Black is a safe bet. 

Haven't many white cables though, i think they'd look great on pedalboards.

Power cables being a different colour is also a good idea I think.
    https://www.gbmusic.co.uk/

PA Hire and Event Management
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    I like my power cables to be different. Red ac. BlUE reverse polarity and black dc for example.

Otherwise patch cables black.

At home my long cables are different colours so I can easily see what is plugged into what.
  • DungusDungus Frets: 170
    I have cheapy colouful leads and they're a massive distraction. Even if everything is all laid out neatly, it still looks messy. I think 99% of people want their pedal board to look good and black leads sort of disappear and let the colours/artwork of the pedals pop. Same with power. I don't want to notice the leads when I'm looking at a pedalboard.
  • mr-macmr-mac Frets: 200
    Why not provide some kind of self fit colour coding, even nice coloured heat shrink tubes so people can colour code ends of own wires if they wish :)
  • mr-macmr-mac Frets: 200
    edited March 2017
    Or some sort of colour band on plugs maybe? classy but fuctional
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72297
    Dungus said:
    I have cheapy colouful leads and they're a massive distraction. Even if everything is all laid out neatly, it still looks messy. I think 99% of people want their pedal board to look good and black leads sort of disappear and let the colours/artwork of the pedals pop.
    I like the challenge of correctly colour-matching the cables to the pedals. Output side or input side? Pedal body or text? What to do with a brown pedal? How pale does a pink pedal have to be before a red cable doesn't match? What happens if you have more green pedals than green cables? The permutations are almost endless, but the sense of all being right with the world when you've got a combination that satisfies all the criteria is overwhelming :).

Power cables should be black, of course.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    All my cables are black through no conscious choice on my part but I do think they make a board look neater than a load of brightly coloured ones.
    Wouldn't worry me if power cables were red, blue or green as long as they were all the same colour.
  • DungusDungus Frets: 170
    Can we get our free cables now, bro? ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    https://bobblepic.com/images/2017/03/24/IMG_1143.png

I noticed these on an Andertons video, I like the look. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • AdjiAdji Frets: 142
    tFB Trader
    Thanks everyone for commenting. Really useful information!

• GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    ICBM said:
    Dungus said:
    I have cheapy colouful leads and they're a massive distraction. Even if everything is all laid out neatly, it still looks messy. I think 99% of people want their pedal board to look good and black leads sort of disappear and let the colours/artwork of the pedals pop.
    ...What to do with a brown pedal?  ...
    Brown Van Damme cable, of course! :-)
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28102
    On a pedalboard probably everything black.

In a rack, each cable type should be a different colour so you can easily see what's what.

And with number tags.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24240
    I used to run 2 parallel fx chains so I liked them having their own colour,  wasn't fussed what colours as long as I could see them properly under stage lights.

• professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    Sporky said:
    On a pedalboard probably everything black.

In a rack, each cable type should be a different colour so you can easily see what's what.

And with number tags.
    How about just in and out as different colours and tag each one?

Like a Dist Board.
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26564
    Black only for me, because it means that under stage lighting it's less likely that people will see the bloody mess I made of the cabling.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom