Introducing - Alder & Ash Bespoke Custom. Fully custom backline

What's Hot

Comments

• SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7027
    tFB Trader
    richalderandash said:
    There's something pleasing about the alliteration.
    Repeated 'a' sounds would be assonance not alliteration, alliteration is repeated consonant sounds ...sorry can't escape the day job. 
    Pretty sure it's alliteration. Assonance is repeated vowel sounds within words. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3200
    edited March 2017
    richalderandash said:
    Repeated 'a' sounds would be assonance not alliteration, alliteration is repeated consonant sounds ...sorry can't escape the day job. 
    Strictly speaking @SteveRobinson ;;alliteration refers to repeated consonants at the starts of words, repeated consonants mid-word (or close sequence of words) is consonance (although this is increasingly being dropped in favour of merely recognising alliterated sounds regardless of position). Whilst repeated s-based sounds are sibilance rather than alliteration (this includes s, c, sh, ch, and sometimes even x and z) and assonance relates to repeated vowel sounds within phrases or sentences rather than being specific to just the opening of the word (to add to the confusion it can include 'y' for its phonetic use). So as such the a's in alder and ash is assonance. However, alliteration does exactly the same for repeated sounds as a metaphor does for all manor of metaphors including personification and anthropomorphism -as such it is often taught as a blanket term for each of these although not being completely accurate. 

Anyway enough of this! Lesson over this is supposed to be my down time.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Every definition I've seen of alliteration is that it's the same sound (consonant or vowel) at the start of adjacent or close words in a sentence. 

Strictly speaking I suppose, ash and alder, even though both begin with the letter "a", do not start with the same vowel _sound_.
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3071
    richalderandash said:
    Strictly speaking @SteveRobinson ;;alliteration refers to repeated consonants at the starts of words, repeated consonants mid-word (or close sequence of words) is consonance (although this is increasingly being dropped in favour of merely recognising alliterated sounds regardless of position). Whilst repeated s-based sounds are sibilance rather than alliteration (this includes s, c, sh, ch, and sometimes even x and z) and assonance relates to repeated vowel sounds within phrases or sentences rather than being specific to just the opening of the word (to add to the confusion it can include 'y' for its phonetic use). So as such the a's in alder and ash is assonance. However, alliteration does exactly the same for repeated sounds as a metaphor does for all manor of metaphors including personification and anthropomorphism -as such it is often taught as a blanket term for each of these although not being completely accurate. 

Anyway enough of this! Lesson over this is supposed to be my down time.
    Don't worry you've got another fortnight off soon ;)
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited March 2017
    Every definition I've seen of alliteration is that it's the same sound (consonant or vowel) at the start of adjacent or close words in a sentence. 

Strictly speaking I suppose, ash and alder, even though both begin with the letter "a", do not start with the same vowel _sound_.
    You are right @SteveRobinson in the sense that assonance is a form of alliteration, just as personification is a form of metaphor. Certainly if you were to google it, you would have a host of ks2/3 explanations that are in line with the definitions you've offered, but these are ks2/3 definitions of their use. There is just that bit more to both these terms than this.

In terms of the vowel sounds, your explanation reminds me of the scene in 'Educating Rita' where she spots that it is indeed flawed in exactly the way you have and cleverly describes it as 'rhyme for poets who can't rhyme' or something to very similar effect. Frank responds, that that's as may be but 'it is one of those things that just is'. I always did like that scene.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    mudslide73 said:

Hehe... don't you just know it! :)
    edited March 2017
    Anyway poor @richalderandash wanted to tell us about his rather gorgeous bespoke wooden back line, we should really leave him to it and stop hijacking his thread. Pub quiz moment over. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3071
    mudslide73 said:

Hehe... don't you just know it! :)
    Sorry that was an in joke because I too work in a school :) The pedalboards do indeed look very lovely @richalderandash ;
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

tFB Trader
    You are right @SteveRobinson in the sense that assonance is a form of alliteration, 
    This contradicts what you said above, that it *wasn't* alliteration.
    Certainly if you were to google it, you would have a host of ks2/3 explanations that are in line with the definitions you've offered, but these are ks2/3 definitions of their use.
    Perhaps you'd point me at some grown-up definitions?
    In terms of the vowel sounds, your explanation reminds me of the scene in 'Educating Rita' where she spots that it is indeed flawed in exactly the way you have and cleverly describes it as 'rhyme for poets who can't rhyme' or something to very similar effect. Frank responds, that that's as may be but 'it is one of those things that just is'. I always did like that scene.
    What Frank in Educating Rita uses as an example of assonance in the Yeats poem is actually consonance. So neatly illustrating that teachers can sometimes get things wrong.
    edited March 2017
    You are right @SteveRobinson in the sense that assonance is a form of alliteration, 
    This contradicts what you said above, that it *wasn't* alliteration.
    Certainly if you were to google it, you would have a host of ks2/3 explanations that are in line with the definitions you've offered, but these are ks2/3 definitions of their use.
    Perhaps you'd point me at some grown-up definitions?
    What Frank in Educating Rita uses as an example of assonance in the Yeats poem is actually consonance. So neatly illustrating that teachers can sometimes get things wrong.
    I was trying to be nice @SteveRobinson and let the contradiction go because I couldn't be bothered to persue this as it seems totally unfair on poor Rich and his thread.

All 'adult' definitions are above and will stand at a-level and degree level. I'm presuming from your response that you too have some level of extended literature study, as you wouldn't have got involved with this discussion, it's too pedantic (certainly feels like a day at work)? Either that or you are argumentative of course. However if you do want to cross check, grab yourself a copy of the Oxford Dictionary of Literary Terms -I always recommend it to my students and you will find that I am neither trying to misinform or being unnecessarily argumentative, but that I do speak the truth.

Clearly my memory was off on Ed R, (although I will grab a copy and cross check it tomorrow) which absolutely proves that we all get things wrong sometimes, but that surely is the beauty of learning and why so many of us (especially teachers) spend time arguing on and off forums!
  • Really lovely work @richalderandash . Are you doing any of the Northern Guitar Shows this year? Andy
    ps - you just need to change the image URL dl=0 to raw=1  =)
    Oak & Bespoke Guitar Stands & Racks made in Shropshire, England.
  • Really lovely work @richalderandash . Are you doing any of the Northern Guitar Shows this year? Andy

Havent seen the raw=1 before. How does that affect it?  I know dl=1 turns it to a download link.

Thanks @stand_made - really appreciate the kind words.

And no, unfortunately.  I'm not in a position to approach any shows yet (too damn expensive) but in time - hopefully next year - I'll put in for that and the Birmingham show.

Havent seen the raw=1 before. How does that affect it?  I know dl=1 turns it to a download link.

Thanks @stand_made - really appreciate the kind words.

And no, unfortunately.  I'm not in a position to approach any shows yet (too damn expensive) but in time - hopefully next year - I'll put in for that and the Birmingham show.
    The raw=1 always seems to work for me. We use the shows as a real chance to meet people and check we're still on track developing our range of products - we started 4 years ago with just one stand and now making quite a range. Let me know when you book your first show. Lots of forum members go to many of them. All the best. Andy
    Oak & Bespoke Guitar Stands & Racks made in Shropshire, England.
  • @stand_made Shall do.  Having a look at your profile pic, I think I've seen your stands on Instagram, floating around in the background of others peoples' photos. Very good looking!
  • BorkBork Frets: 256
    Do you offer your cabinets in figured timbers at all?

[This space for rent]

• Bork said:
    Do you offer your cabinets in figured timbers at all?
    Yes my good sir.  I'm happy to shop around for the best looking wood I can get.  What had you in mind?
    edited May 2017
    Quilted maple perchance?  

[This space for rent]

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Oooo! Nice.  I can certainly have a look into it. Drop me a DM or email and we can talk through your idea.
    Sure, I will when I've figured out what I want to put in the cabinet ;)  Thanks for your quick replies.

[This space for rent]