Is Bernard Sumner underrated?

What's Hot
FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
edited March 2017 in Music
He did some innovative guitar work with Joy Division, and this song is one of the best ever. There's nothing flashy going on, but it's something I never tire of listening to.

If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• MossMoss Frets: 2409
    One of my favourite guitarists ever - the work on Shadowplay is particularly brilliant
    Stop crying, start buying
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DarnWeightDarnWeight Frets: 2566
    Power, Corruption And Lies is pretty much a blueprint for how you make guitars work in a predominantly synth-driven context.  Simple, economical, passionate.  Age Of Consent, Ultraviolence, Leave Me Alone...these songs kill me.  He's just an extremely tasteful and understated player, who knows how to serve a song to its fullest.  Early New Order rules.

New fangled trading feedback link right here!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • There's no doubt that on those early New Order albums he's a much better guitarist than vocalist! But having lost the coin toss with Peter Hook, he persevered at the latter too.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    Wish I was at this gig!

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24798
    Love Bernard Sumner's playing - he's been seen with some very nice guitars over the years as well.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72256
    Love Bernard Sumner's playing - he's been seen with some very nice guitars over the years as well.
    And also Shergolds...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Placidcasual79Placidcasual79 Frets: 979
    edited March 2017

I've always liked his playing - sounds stupid but his playing and vocals suit each other. Here he is doing vocals with Bobby Gillespie on a chemical brothers track - the guitar in the break down (2.38ish) is particularly sweet. 
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12886
    For me the real hero in New Order is Stephen Morris. One of the all-time greatest drummers in my opinion. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    edited June 2018
    For me the real hero in New Order is Stephen Morris. One of the all-time greatest drummers in my opinion.
    The Macclesfield Metronome is an incredible drummer!