You have ONE distortion/overdrive.. What's it gonna be?

What's Hot

Comments

• ftumchftumch Frets: 681
    Ramble fx marvel drive ftw
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12292
    Box of Rock.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2233
    To answer the question as asked king of tone.

However if the gig was that important I would negotiate using my favoured setup which is a Bad cat or matchless amp on the edge of breakup and a klon.

I like using my stuff for gigs the way I like it setup.

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30289
    Torn between Pork Loin and OD-2. Please don't make me choose.
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    OCD
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3422
    Okko Diablo Gain+
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72203
    Why do I get lols for the DF-2?

That's exactly what I use mine for... although not at big gigs because I don't play those! Just small ones. As ThePrettyDamned said it's an extremely versatile, great-sounding overdrive/distortion pedal. I also think it does clean up pretty well, I've sometimes left it on the whole time and just used the guitar volume. It also has a useful pseudo-feedback function for if you're playing at too low volume to get real feedback...

Best pedal ever.

I almost thought I'd typed MT-2 by mistake ;).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    ICBM said:

That's exactly what I use mine for... although not at big gigs because I don't play those! Just small ones. As ThePrettyDamned said it's an extremely versatile, great-sounding overdrive/distortion pedal. I also think it does clean up pretty well, I've sometimes left it on the whole time and just used the guitar volume. It also has a useful pseudo-feedback function for if you're playing at too low volume to get real feedback...

Best pedal ever.

Someone's finger must have slipped whilst they were trying to wis you ;)
  • ICBM said:

Best pedal ever.

It does clean up at lower gain settings but nowhere near as well as, for example, a fuzz face (which goes crystal clean from utter filth). At higher gain it tends not to do well and stays a bit grainy, although it can be good for going from overdrive to distortion. 

I use mine with the gain at 1/4 or so with a strat and a hair higher for humbuckers. Sounds great. It is the best sounding general overdrive ever. 

Rats are very good too, mind, and probably more versatile with the fuzzy sounds. 
  • head says JHS sweet tea, heart says carpe diem. 

ear says either - its all the same to the crowd. 
    https://www.gbmusic.co.uk/

PA Hire and Event Management
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VJIvesVJIves Frets: 466
    Dr Scientist - the Elements. Forever.
  • CarpeDiemCarpeDiem Frets: 284
    I would audition a Friedman BE-OD. Adjust the internal gain level trim pot to 9'o clock (factory setting is 12 o'clock) as a starting point.
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4516
    Skreddy Lunar Module
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2749
    King of tone.    
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72203
    Rats are very good too, mind, and probably more versatile with the fuzzy sounds. 
    I used a Rat for years too but eventually moved on from it because it made everything sound the same somehow, even though it has a wide range of tones… I don't know if that makes sense!

Also the true bypass is a problem when going into some 'non guitar' amps, or you need to use the FX return which is sometimes a lower impedance and will then muddy the clean sound if you turn the pedal off. Boss (or something else buffered like a TS-9) wins for that.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• FezFez Frets: 499
    Thorpy Peacemaker
    Don't touch that dial.
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 598
    Barber Gain Changer - does everything from clean boost,  through on the edge break up to high gain. 
    Bar a Fuzz, It's the only dirt pedal on my traditional board. 
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6095
    King of Tone seems to be getting a lot of love on here.
    My own choice at the mo is the Amptweaker Tight Drive Pro.
    Apart from sounding great, it's send and return facilities are a brilliant idea.
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • JD50JD50 Frets: 658
    Original MXR Distortion + as it does everything, od/dist/fuzz although I'd miss the Rat for thick lead tones.