Recording demos on a budget

So far we have been recording sessions on a handheld Zoom H1 jobby (using the built in stereo mic) so that we don't lose ideas and we'd like to take this a bit further.

I'd like some advice on the following ideas please:

1. The rehearsal rooms have a Mackie mixer with 4 XLR ins and 3 SM58 clones with stands and cables. As it's just the drummer and I at the moment I was thinking about getting a fourth mic and then mic'ing the drums with three mics (one on kick, one on snare and one overhead) and one on my amp then taking a stereo out from the mixer to the little Zoom handheld recorder. This would only cost us a new mic, stand and cable.

Obviously there will be some trial and error when setting levels (and no ability to mix after recording) but could be a very cheap way of getting better quality demos (even free if we can borrow other stuff that belongs to the rehearsal rooms)

2. Invest in a standalone multi-track digital recorder and use a similar mic set up as above. Up to 8 XLR input recorders are available for a more comprehensive set up.

3. Invest in a usb mixer and multi track record to the macbook pro with similar mic set up as above. Obvious benefits like easy level setting and mixing. Is this even possible? 

4. ???

Cheers!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2393
    For what purpose are you making these recordings?

If they're literally demos, as in recordings you want to play to other people to get gigs and so forth, you'd be much better off using the budget to pay for a day or two in a good local studio.

If it's just to get a slightly clearer record of your ideas, option 1 should be fine. And seeing as you'll need the extra mic and stand for options 2 and 3 anyway, you might as well try 1 first.
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26453
    Well, just FYI...we recorded our first album on a total budget of £700. That includes building a computer from cheap parts on eBay to run the DAW, a mic for vocals and includes £500 to pay someone to mix it.

OK, so we used MIDI drums and my Eleven Rack for the interface (everything but drums went through it, including the vocals), but still...
    <space for hire>
  • IMC1980IMC1980 Frets: 141
    Well, just FYI...we recorded our first album on a total budget of £700. That includes building a computer from cheap parts on eBay to run the DAW, a mic for vocals and includes £500 to pay someone to mix it.

OK, so we used MIDI drums and my Eleven Rack for the interface (everything but drums went through it, including the vocals), but still...
    That is some impressive budgeting! Do you have any clips of the album?
    IMC1980 said:

It's all here:

https://closedcircuituk.bandcamp.com/album/violet-nights
    <space for hire>
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10357
    I did a 6 song demo for a young indie band last Wednesday. Basically they rented a rehearsal room and set up as normal. I then mic'ed the drums, guitars and Di'ed the bass and tracked everything live into my A+H QU16 desk which records 18 tracks of audio direct to a USB harddrive. 
    2 of the tracks were set to record the main mixer left and right so that was a stereo mix already printed which was fine as a demo. I gave the band the drive though so they could load the tracks into Reaper for remixing and overdubs
    I charged £80 for that 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    Danny1969 said:
    I did a 6 song demo for a young indie band last Wednesday. Basically they rented a rehearsal room and set up as normal. I then mic'ed the drums, guitars and Di'ed the bass and tracked everything live into my A+H QU16 desk which records 18 tracks of audio direct to a USB harddrive. 
    2 of the tracks were set to record the main mixer left and right so that was a stereo mix already printed which was fine as a demo. I gave the band the drive though so they could load the tracks into Reaper for remixing and overdubs
    I charged £80 for that 
    Would you be willing to travel to our rehearsal rooms in SW18? 
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10357
    rico said:
    Danny1969 said:
    I charged £80 for that 
    London is a bit of a nightmare for me traffic wise and I tend to try and avoid going there ... if your band can come to Portsmouth though I'll do you the same deal and arrange the same room for you which cost about £40
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    Danny1969 said:
    rico said:
    Danny1969 said:
    I charged £80 for that 
    London is a bit of a nightmare for me traffic wise and I tend to try and avoid going there ... if your band can come to Portsmouth though I'll do you the same deal and arrange the same room for you which cost about £40
    Yeah I tend to agree however I live in Putney and commute to Portsmouth regularly and it takes an hour or so on a good day. Your offer is very reasonable - ill discuss with the band.
    IMC1980 said:

It's all here:

https://closedcircuituk.bandcamp.com/album/violet-nights
    The album sounds great! I have never heard an eleven rack before (knowingly), the riff
    @IMC1980 - thanks. The key is in the mixing, really; I'm not even remotely good at it, which is why we paid for an expert :)

The 11R did sound great, though. Also worth noting that the drums were played by a human, but with an electronic kit and the samples came from BFD 2.
    <space for hire>
    @IMC1980 - thanks. The key is in the mixing, really; I'm not even remotely good at it, which is why we paid for an expert :)

The 11R did sound great, though. Also worth noting that the drums were played by a human, but with an electronic kit and the samples came from BFD 2.
    I am using BFD3 as my drum synth, amazing quality samples!
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7273
    edited March 2017
    We recorded our album entirely ourselves too including real drums:

https://prionson.bandcamp.com/album/nightfall

Again we paid to have it mixed by a pro (we paid £700 mates-rates to have it mixed by the guy who did the last few skindred albums) but the tracking setup was very modest indeed.

Focusrite saffire pro 40 + behringer ADA 8000 to provide 16 inputs. In terms of mics I have a D112, 2 thomann own brand condensors, 3 behringer SM57 clones, a kosher SM57 that the singer already owns, an SE X1 for vocals and set of no-name tom mics that were about £30 for 3 mics.

I already owned the interface and some of the mics but total spend on hardware was less than £750 and obviously we still have it to use for other recordings.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ