Colour Matching Nitro Paint

What's Hot

Hi,

I'm trying to colour match the new Fender Antique Olive colour so I can refinish a guitar in the same.  I've come across this Italian company who can provide nitro aerosols in all the RAL colours;

https://www.vernicispray.co.uk/7402242EN/spray-gloss-nitro-paint-in-ral-colours-ral-6013-reed-green.jsp  (scroll down for all the other colours)

Am I missing something or can anyone see a reason why these wouldn't be suitable for finishing an electric guitar?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    Can't you take the RAL code to your local Auto paint supplier and get them to mix it in a rattle can?
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• powerhandpowerhand Frets: 198
    paulnb57 said:
    Can't you take the RAL code to your local Auto paint supplier and get them to mix it in a rattle can?
    I suppose I could, but I didn't think modern car paint we're nitrocellulose anymore - are they?
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    edited March 2017
    powerhand said:
    paulnb57 said:
    I suppose I could, but I didn't think modern car paint we're nitrocellulose anymore - are they?

As I understand it, not in bulk for car spraying, however you can buy it in bulk for a classic car respray  to maintain authenticity and its, AFIAK, (Nitro) Cellulose (1k) in a rattle can....

I think Nitro Cellulose is the Us term
    and  Cellulose is the UK term

Both the same thing...
    Fenders were sprayed with car colours.....
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• CorvusCorvus Frets: 2925
    tFB Trader
    Autobody supplies can sometimes do celly, not all but worth checking local ones. Paints4u may do it, they show tinned celly to code and 1k rattle cans, but can't why they wouldn't stick celly in a rattle can.
    Paint shop websites are often a bit basic so its best to ring rather than rely on a site to totally show what they can do.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16665
    edited March 2017
    Corvus said:
    Paint shop websites are often a bit basic so its best to ring rather than rely on a site to totally show what they can do.

Wis for that.

there will be someone within 10 miles of anywhere who can do it.

Edit - should add I mean there will be many who can mix a paint based on a code.   Getting an exact colour match in the flesh is not always so simple

• ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    You could ask @SteveRobinson of this very parish, AFAIK he will colour match too, amongst other guitar tech services.

Thanks for all the advice!
    Just to finish this thread off, @SteveRobinson now stocks Fender Antique Olive, so all is well!