Comments

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

https://www.ocado.com/productImages/552/55286011_0_640x640.jpg

This is the easiest way to try it properly though
    My V key is broken
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    I hate tofu, just have some proper meat instead. 
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    My girlfriend is vegan and so is quite familiar with tofu - I still haven't tried it. She tells me it absorbs flavour so can kind of taste like whatever you want it to taste like, and apparently it's very nice if done properly.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24302
    holnrew said:
    If you freeze it (in the tray packet thing), defrost it, press it, cut it into small chunks, marinate it and bake it, season it, marinate it again, coat it in flavouring powder, deep fry it then drench it in a highly flavoured sauce, it's delicious.
    Much like papier mache then.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    I like tofu. It inspires me to eat healthily, or at least to make it look like I am eating healthily. I wish I could do stir fries at home, but my wife isn't too keen. She likes cooked veg, but in a good stir fry the veg should be practically raw IMO. Maybe she'd prefer a broth and noodle type thing.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26994
    Crispy fried tofu is lovely in Thai food.

But the silken jelly stuff is deeply unpleasant.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    Silken tofu is better for desserts and stuff where you can add lots of sugar. Or add to a shake for a load of protein
    My V key is broken
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • shrinkwrapshrinkwrap Frets: 512
    If you like tofu try Indonesian tempeh - usually found only in health food shops in the UK. Fermented whole soy beans in a cakey block of tofu - fry it till brown, like fried bread. Often served with gado gado.

• NikkoNikko Frets: 1803
    I like it, having chilli bean curd from the takeaway tonight.
    The deep fried cubes you can buy in big packets from Chinese supermarkets are great in a stir fry. You can get tasty marinated tofu too.
    I've done scrambled tofu (with tumeric and seasoning) as a vegan scrambled egg alternative. 
    The Vietnamese restaurant I sometimes go to has it in fish soups where it's a nice contrasting texture.
    Although TBH unless you're​ 12 I'm struggling to understand how you've never had tofu before. 

Im 41, and have never had tofu.

I mainly put it down to not wanting to.

**Signature space available for a reasonable fee. Enquire within**
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    Nikko said:
    I like it, having chilli bean curd from the takeaway tonight.
    The deep fried cubes you can buy in big packets from Chinese supermarkets are great in a stir fry. You can get tasty marinated tofu too.
    I've done scrambled tofu (with tumeric and seasoning) as a vegan scrambled egg alternative. 
    The Vietnamese restaurant I sometimes go to has it in fish soups where it's a nice contrasting texture.
    Although TBH unless you're​ 12 I'm struggling to understand how you've never had tofu before. 

Im 41, and have never had tofu.

I mainly put it down to not wanting to.

I was brought up veggie till I was about 6..... lived on Tofu and TVP. 

Now hate it, unless it's the fluffy type x 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    I don't know why I put a kiss, my missus just text me while I was writing and it was automatic. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NikkoNikko Frets: 1803

Don't worry man, made me feel special ;)

x

**Signature space available for a reasonable fee. Enquire within**
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3072
    My Mrs is veggie so I've had it a fair bit - and I like it. It's fallen out of favour lately to halloumi and Quorn pieces in our house but it's still great if you marinate/season it properly. Our Cantonese takeaway does a wonderful "tofu,mixed peppers, and chilli in black bean sauce" (no.224) which we both love very much. x
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11875
    I don't think people should think of Tofu as some kind of healthy eating.  To me, it is just another ingredient.  It's like, tonight I want to eat beef and tomorrow I feel like some Tofu. 

It's juts another dish on the table, it is not the only thing in my plate.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6264
    you can go very wrong with tofu.

If its the block that you get vacuum packed in water, you need to put it on some tissue with a weight on top of it to get the water out before you do anything. Then you can cut it up and season it or marinate it in something tasty. Its still perfectly ok on its own with a bit of seasoning. Then you can dry fry it til the outside gets a bit crispy. Quite nice like that.

If you don't do the above, its a bit like plain scrambled egg.
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3494
    I don't think people should think of Tofu as some kind of healthy eating.  To me, it is just another ingredient.  It's like, tonight I want to eat beef and tomorrow I feel like some Tofu. 

It's juts another dish on the table, it is not the only thing in my plate.
    I agree, tofu shouldn't be considered a 'healthy' alternative or one to meat, but IMO it should be seen like an ingredient.  

Also if someone expects a 'strong' flavour then it's kind of missing the point.  In Asian cuisine where stronger or milder flavours work with different textures be it crunchy, chewy or soft consistencies.  

Tofu isn't homogenous there are different types which are different in flavour and texture and even though many consider it to be a savoury part of the meal in some parts of Asian cuisine it's used as the base for making desserts.

I really enjoy cooking & eating tofu, some of my favourite ways include braised aubergine with tofu, or stir fried with black beans & vegetables.  The latter if I have some leftovers with a plain omelette is a supreme hungover brunch! 

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    Crispy fried tofu is lovely in Thai food.

"Crispy fried tofu is lovely in Typhoo-d..."
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    If you like tofu try Indonesian tempeh - usually found only in health food shops in the UK. Fermented whole soy beans in a cakey block of tofu - fry it till brown, like fried bread. Often served with gado gado.

I do like tempeh. Not got a hope in hell of finding it around here though.
    My V key is broken