Peavey JSX crackling..

What's Hot
StevepageStevepage Frets: 3044
At rehearsal today I noticed the JSX crackling and popping every so often. To me it sounds like it could be time for new valves in the power section.

I've been thinking of fitting KT77s instead 
, would it be a simple plug in and bias for those valves or will the amp need to be modded to accomodate the KT77s?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    I would give the sockets a quick spray with servisol and jiggle the valves around first
    (when the amp is off obviously)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DJH83004DJH83004 Frets: 196
    It is definitely worth cleaning the valve bases, including the pre-amp valves, as they tend to be more prone than the power valves (should I say the higher gain stages are more sensitive to poor connections). The KT77s will directly replace EL34s but you must check the bias, as you should do anyway.
    From memory on the JSX there is an EL34 / 6L6GC selector switch, leave that in the EL34 position.
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 3044
    Just cleaned the sockets with some electrical contact cleaner. Also fitted and biased a quad set of JJ KT77s. Problem seems to have been sorted and the new valves make it sound incredible. 
    So the problem seems to not have disappeared like I thought it had. The JSX is now making a "popping" noise which happens every so often when using the amp. 

Am I right in thinking I may have a bad capacitor
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72227
    Stevepage said:
    So the problem seems to not have disappeared like I thought it had. The JSX is now making a "popping" noise which happens every so often when using the amp. 

Am I right in thinking I may have a bad capacitor
    Possible, but more likely a bad valve. If you've changed the power valves, try replacing each preamp valve in turn with a new one.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2573
    tFB Trader
    Does the popping go away with the gain knobs all at 0, if yes it is probably the first pre amp valve, if no then it is later in the chain
    Does the popping go away with the masters all turned down, if no then it is likely the phase inverter valve.

That's the odd thing the preamp valves are all new too
    Stevepage said:
    Was it doing it before you replaced them?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM said:
    Stevepage said:
    Was it doing it before you replaced them?
    yeah thats right
    Bugger. Time for a trip to the tech.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I thought as much. dropping it off to some one tomorrow night
    turns out it was a dodgy connector, a quick krimp and tap test and she's sorted