CREEPER - Eternity, In Your Arms

What's Hot
duotoneduotone Frets: 982
edited March 2017 in Music
Came across this lot & thought they were worth sharing, kind of remind me of Alkaline Trio. 

Their first album came out yesterday (24th March) 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    Imo, the best new band out there by a mile. 

I watched them in Manchester last night, they smashed it. Great gig! 

I recommend, black mass, vcr and Suzanne (and about 20 others...) 
    Ps, what a week for them. Sold out their opening night of tour, their biggest show to date. 
    Album released
    Announced on warped tour
    Front cover of kerrang 

• RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3062
    Congratulations to them on making Southampton look slightly interesting.  
  • matdotcodotmatdotcodot Frets: 179
    Definitely very Good Mourning , Alkaline Trio, nice!
    If you can read this then my time machine works.

My feedback thread is here.

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57602/

• TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2894
    This is one of them bands that I feel i really should like but for some reason they fall flat for me. The songs start off well (very alk3 inspired) but I get bored by the first chorus!

Good tones though.
  • andypandyp Frets: 332
    edited March 2017
    Been listening to this today too after seeing the album release hype over the last couple of weeks. I really wasn't sure what to expect, but I like it a lot. Reckon it'll grow into an album I like more and more.

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22739
    joeyowen said:

Front cover of kerrang 
    Never heard of them, but I saw the cover of Kerrang yesterday saying the're "the band who will change everything", or something.  Then this thread.  So now I know what they sound like.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    Fair play to them, they're obviously impressing a lot of people. Really not my sort of thing at all, but I hope they carry on doing so well.
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 4996
    Philly_Q said:
    joeyowen said:

Front cover of kerrang 
    Never heard of them, but I saw the cover of Kerrang yesterday saying the're "the band who will change everything", or something.  Then this thread.  So now I know what they sound like.
    They sound like a kerrang front cover. I lasted 2  seconds into the chorus.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Reverend said:
    Philly_Q said:
    joeyowen said:

Front cover of kerrang 
    I listened to the whole thing.

But everything hasn't changed.

Yet.
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3062
    Reverend said:
    Philly_Q said:
    joeyowen said:

Front cover of kerrang 
    Thought I'd give them more than 2 seconds but you're right in your assessment. 

I dont get the whole, "they're good because they sound like someone else" thing...
    I have to say, and I know this is shallow and I spend all my time telling people to try stuff and look past images etc... but the way they appear in Kerrang and the image they seem to project led me to think they'd be pretty pants. I was expecting mediocre metal. But it's a really good album and much "brighter" than I expected it to be given the portrayal of them in the magazine article. They were made out to be some kind of crazy cult but the music doesn't fit that at all.

I hadn't bought Kerrang in about 20 years (no joke) until a few weeks ago and happened to buy 3 or 4 in a row and have quite enjoyed them but I've never really got on with music mags somehow, hence the long hiatus.
  • BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
    Listened to about half of the video - it sounds like some terrible mid-2000s indie band like the Fratellis or something. Terrible music - styled to look like 'rockers' but come on, theyre not are they
    Listened to about half of the video - it sounds like some terrible mid-2000s indie band like the Fratellis or something. Terrible music - styled to look like 'rockers' but come on, theyre not are they
    I disagree, their gig was heavy as, more moshpits than I've seen in a long time.  The video is a single, it's more radio friendly I guess
  • BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
    Yeah I bet they sound like Dying Fetus live. Only kidding, just not my thing I suppose
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Hmmm. Listened to it properly tonight and it's good, but I don't get what's new about them / the music. Not to say anything bad about it, but it's familiar sounding and certainly not an instant "next big thing" as it's been touted. This is why I can never get on with music mags.
    I thought I'd give it a go and listened to the whole album on Spotify.  They're certainly eclectic songwriters, it goes from pop-punk to piano ballads with big grandiose choruses to sort of folk/country... not much sense of identity.  Some of it's quite good I think, but I don't know how they compare with other bands of this ilk because I don't listen to them.  It certainly doesn't feel like anything particularly special or groundbreaking.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited March 2017
    Aye, I totally agree with that summary. It may sound like a negative review, but it's more a case of being hyped up by the press and maybe not reaching the expectations that creates.

Noticed they'd reviewed it in Total Guitar this month too. Their conclusion was 4 stars, and they will be a massive band quite soon. 4 stars I can see, massive soon... I'm not really sure.

edit - It's only £7.99 on Amazon for the Dinosaurs like me that still buy CDs. Worth buying at that price, for sure.

• I listened to it in the lab this morning. 
    I quite liked it, as others have said it IS eclectic. I can see the Alkaline Trio influence, but to me a lot of it sounded like The Offspring playing My Chemical Romance (Creeper have definitely listened to The Black Parade more than once). 
    I dont mean this as criticism- I like all those bands. I'll be very interested to see where they go from here- in terms of a second album and also their popularity. 
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6898
    I lasted 51 seconds - drivel...

To be slightly more constructive with my comment - not my type of thing at all.
    Previously known as stevebrum