Short rant

What's Hot
ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3576
Did a gig Friday night, I say night we had to arrive mid afternoon to be set up and out of the way. Posh venue golf club spots hotel etc. Bloody stairs and a shared lift. I was asked to provide my PA which is old tech so bulky and heavy.   Got it all in to discover they have a sound limiter! 

I had a go at the singer that 'organised' the booking on the cheap and ended up straining my back humping in and setting up including mics for the singers! So I  had a chair on stage to play from. Didn't get on stage until 10:20 and had to finish at midnight. 

There is a reason good function bands charge money, waiting around, the right gear, etc. I'm sorry to have had to teach those lessons to experienced musicians again and my back is still sore.
 Rant mode off.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3021
    Good rant.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Yes, always good to confirm the set-up and playing times up front so you can consider that in the fee. Something I've had to repeat to the singer in one of my bands a few times!

Function gigs and certainly weddings always have a lot of waiting around. 
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    You need to get paid very well for function gigs because they waste a whole day.

I'm not really interested in them anymore because they don't work for someone with a family.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10357
    Some people can't believe we want £1500 upwards to do a wedding ... "How Much !! you only got to play for 2 hours !!? " is often the response. 
    Then you patiently tell them for a typical wedding you have to load in during the morning, set up and sound check then go home, then come back do the gig and load out at 1am in the morning. Imagine you had to pay 5 plumbers to do the same hours, on a Saturday ..... how much do you think that would cost you is my reply
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3301
    edited March 2017
    We always used to tell people that questioned the price that you're paying for our time for the whole day not just the performance period.

On average, for a central or North London gig, and I live in Surrey, I'd leave home at 11am and get home at 1-2 am in the morning. Parking etc if you're playing at central London venues/hotels can be expensive and non-existant (you can't load up outside the Cafe Royal, not even for 5mins without getting a ticket) and some places won't allow you to use their facilities or allow you to come through the foyer in hotels etc so that means coming through the back, sometimes the kitchens and narrow galleys and without lifts. Oh, and sound meters. We'd sometimes bung the concierge a tenner to switch off the sensor.

I sympathise and rant away. I have but if I didn't like the majority of it, I wouldn't do it.

• They aren't paying for my time; they are paying for me knowing how. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    I always told them the fee was for loading, setting up and sitting around. The playing was free.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1813
    edited March 2017
    I can so agree with this rant too. In fact I've just come back from a wedding gig with similar bitterness. Alright I was a guest of the wedding so I was there all day but we were meant to set up at 6.30 but the speeches ran overtime for like an hour. Band turned at correct time but had to wait around until tables were cleared to make way for band and dance floor. Built the set and were ready around 9pm as opposed to the 8.30 start. But they wanted to start with sa small DJ set for the first 30 minutes. More waiting Then we were on, but through about half our set the DJ who was a guest also wanted to do his djing because it was scheduled in the timescale I.e. 10.30 even though everyone was enjoying the band. At this time my band mates were getting a little agitated when DJing went on for about 45 mins and eating our playing time. I was then told that the band need not go on again as the crowd were enjoying the playlist which funnily enough were the same songs that are in our set anyway. Decided to pack up and the band left. As I was staying so I had to personally collapse and move the kit into another room as the hotel wanted the room to be set up for breakfast. 

It just showed me how little respect people have for musicians and live music in general. Why the fuck do we bother. Even though I was a family member and guest I felt like hired help. If I ever do this type of gig again I'm going to charge 4 x what I did this gig

Rant over. I feel better now does the OP i.e. @ESBlonde ;do too after his
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    I always told them the fee was for loading, setting up and sitting around. The playing was free.
    We played a gig last year and a woman in the audience/ tiny group of people asked how much we charged to play. I said we play for free but it's £300 for packing the cars, driving, setting up, packing up, driving home and putting the gear back in the house.

She looked at me like I was an idiot. :hushed: 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    We played a gig last year and a woman in the audience/ tiny group of people asked how much we charged to play. I said we play for free but it's £300 for packing the cars, driving, setting up, packing up, driving home and putting the gear back in the house.

I'm gonna adopt that approach in future :)
  • vizviz Frets: 10646

If you ever meet him. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    viz said:

If you ever meet him. 
    Lots of people look at me like I'm stupid so I can't assume it is hotpickups when it happens.  
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Question: Who is the most important person at a Wedding gig?

Hint: They're probably not anything to do with the band.

Of course. As long as they are willing to pay for that devoted attention for the whole day? Some aren't wanting to be paying minimum wage IMO. Try getting that devoted attention from five or six people in the common workplace being paid that ;)

Of course. As long as they are willing to pay for that devoted attention for the whole day? Some aren't wanting to be paying minimum wage IMO. Try getting that devoted attention from five or six people in the common workplace being paid that ;)
    My point being, once you've got the gig you're basically a hired hand and need to just get on with it and deliver the goods.

If you're not happy with the pay, get a better booking agent.

R.
    Is this a good time to introduce my "Musicians' Triangle" again?
  • vizviz Frets: 10646
    edited March 2017
    Yes, was it two of having fun, being paid, furthering your career?

if guess they're quite personal though; mine is one from having fun, helping someone I care about, pushing my musical boundaries. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    What's that?

Probably the gig I mentioned was more personal to me as it was a family gig whom I expected would have had a little more appreciation to what I was giving them so not a normal reaction I would have usually.  I personally didn't charge but I did get the other band members to be paid. Why should they do it for nothing ;)
    It's something like this:

Musicians' Triangle.

Rules:
    1. Everyone is inside the triangle somewhere.
    2. It doesn't matter where, as long as you're happy.

R.
    It's something like this:

Musicians' Triangle.

Rules:
    1. Everyone is inside the triangle somewhere.
    2. It doesn't matter where, as long as you're happy.

R.
    I'm well inside there then ;)