Govt now wants access to all encrypted messages

What's Hot

Comments

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Fretwired said:
    Rudderless is an embarrassment - she'll want to ban cars next as they can be used as weapons.
    She's just doing what May tells her to. Don't forget that the hallmark of May's time as Home Sec was an exclusive focus on exactly this.
    She may well be but she's a total arsehole who is out of her depth.  She has trouble slinging coherent sentences and arguments together. In fairness I have sympathy for the government and I'm sure part of this is arse covering. The public will want to be protected and the security services and Home Office will now have a get out of jail free card in not getting access to encrypted data.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26565
    Fretwired said:
    Fretwired said:
    Rudderless is an embarrassment - she'll want to ban cars next as they can be used as weapons.
    She's just doing what May tells her to. Don't forget that the hallmark of May's time as Home Sec was an exclusive focus on exactly this.
    She may well be but she's a total arsehole who is out of her depth.  She has trouble slinging coherent sentences and arguments together. In fairness I have sympathy for the government and I'm sure part of this is arse covering. The public will want to be protected and the security services and Home Office will now have a get out of jail free card in not getting access to encrypted data.
    Oh, I'm not defending her at all; she's more or less completely incompetent. It's just that calling her an embarrassment for the whole encryption thing is giving her far more credit than she's due.
    <space for hire>
  • notanonnotanon Frets: 607
    It was something like 1997 (can't remember) and the government wanted to ban the use of encryption. If that had happened there would be no online secure transactions - NONE
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    notanon said:
    It was something like 1997 (can't remember) and the government wanted to ban the use of encryption. If that had happened there would be no online secure transactions - NONE
    The amazing part is that they don't learn their lessons - the American government did actually ban all encryption they couldn't crack, thus limiting all US banking transactions to 40-bit RSA and weakening the security of their entire financial infrastructure, and ensuring that US banks remained hugely behind the rest of the world for about a decade.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    What was the result from the swear thread? Can I fire off​ a load of expletives here please.
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9661
    edited March 2017
    mike_l said:
    But, if you haven't done anything wrong they'll not look at your data, it's a waste of their time.

If you were a Jew living in Nazi Germany, you may have done nothing wrong but you would have everything to fear. The 'if you've done  nothing wrong...' argument is constantly being trotted out by those who would erode civil liberties.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    The government don´t understand the internet beyond it being a marketing tool for politicians. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1958
    edited March 2017
    This is probably not the right thread for this question but here goes anyway.
    On the "we know the attacker used WhatsApp 2 minutes before the attack, how do they know that?

Presumably if they have his phone, it's a case of hacking into the phone like the recent case in the US? Once into the phone, just open up the app to read everything? 

I'm guessing that the only reason they know that WhatsApp was used is data from network carriers? Presumably WhatsApp uses a Defined port number so that it can be identified as a service but the content of any message cant be  decrypted? 

exocet said:
    This is probably not the right thread for this question but here goes anyway.
    On the "we know the attacker used WhatsApp 2 minutes before the attack, how do they know that?

Presumably if they have his phone, it's a case of hacking into the phone like the recent case in the US? Once into the phone, just open up the app to read everything? 

I'm guessing that the only reason they know that WhatsApp was used is data from network carriers? Presumably WhatsApp uses a Defined port number so that it can be identified as a service but the content of any message cant be  decrypted? 

They'll be able to see that traffic was sent from his phone to the WhatsApp servers, under existing legislation that allows them to suck up traffic metadata. What they can't do is see what's inside that traffic, because the data in WhatsApp is end-to-end encrypted using Signal...even WhatsApp can't see the content.

That's the whole point of Signal...such that even the FBI (unofficially) recommends people use it for sensitive conversations, because it's essentially uncrackable.
    <space for hire>

That's the whole point of Signal...such that even the FBI (unofficially) recommends people use it for sensitive conversations, because it's essentially uncrackable.
    Is anything really uncrackable?

If he smoked and had a cigarette before it happened would we have reported that?
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1958
    So in reality, it's the same scenario as in the US where Apple refused to assist with the removal of the "10 failed login attempts deletes all data on the phone" security feature?

If the authorities can unlock the phone  (not heard  the manufacturer mentioned yet ) they can read all of the WhatsApp content sent between the various parties? 
    Fretwired said:

Is anything really uncrackable?
    It's uncrackable in the sense that it couldn't be done with current (or in-development) technology before the heat death of the Sun ;)

exocet said:
    So in reality, it's the same scenario as in the US where Apple refused to assist with the removal of the "10 failed login attempts deletes all data on the phone" security feature?

If the authorities can unlock the phone  (not heard  the manufacturer mentioned yet ) they can read all of the WhatsApp content sent between the various parties? 
    In a technical sense no, because it's an entirely different architecture. In a practical sense...yes, because the encryption key for the messages is stored on the phone.
    <space for hire>
  • CabbageCatCabbageCat Frets: 5549

It pisses me off when people think that they can record my private activity under the banner of protection just because I'm doing it across public/third-party infrastructure.

Edit: Sorry wrong thread. Thought this was the dashcam one.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Rudd is being supported by European governments and the EU may officially endorse the UK's position. Apparently WhatsApp could be blocked within the EU. Brazil blocked WhatsApp last year for a while.

• The next time someone you know uses the "if you've got nothing to hide..." line, ask them if they're willing to unlock their phone and hand it to you!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    Fretwired said:
    Rudd is being supported by European governments and the EU may officially endorse the UK's position. Apparently WhatsApp could be blocked within the EU. Brazil blocked WhatsApp last year for a while.
    Then you put a VPN on you phone and it works again.. 
    The next time someone you know uses the "if you've got nothing to hide..." line, ask them if they're willing to unlock their phone and hand it to you!
    But should a government be allowed to see the messages of a known terrorist? Surely the average person would have nothing to fear if a government had to legally prove a need to access data from certain individuals in front of a panel of judges. Access would be on a case by case basis.

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7333
    edited March 2017
    Br9zFdYkaDQo49cjTv1J/Dn6p86TFULDHMqpY5osZjdM+/DIhd+CiSJTC+J4Z54MJoXR43t5Ys63ogzA3KYjmdVC2SqmDtekocDN/pd1RQLl2LPF4HJcLxZXdjNdgtcs

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>