Modulation pedals - presets

thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2316
Looking at getting a modulation pedal.

At the moment, I'm looking at the Strymon Mobius or a zoom MS-70CDR.   Appreciate the Strymon is going to be better, but  as I don't use Modulation that often and probably not anything complicated is the zoom going to be in reality good enough?  Very interested in what people think.    For me I don't mind spending a bit of time setting up the patches but once they're in just want to be able to swap between them quickly and easily.

So those 2 seem to be the main ones I've found:  Any other modulation pedals people are recommending?

I've ruled out the Line 6 M5 (had one before and didn't like the patch switching/editing in a live situation)
Zoom G3/G5 too big and didn't really like them
Zoom MS-50  had one before and it tone sucked imo.
TC nova modulator -  too fiddly for live use

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DopesickDopesick Frets: 1507
    Zoom MS-70CDR has some absolutely amazing sounds, but if you're hoping to use it live then good luck. Some of the delays and reverbs are legit some of the best I've heard, but it was such a pain in the arse to go from one patch to another, and in the end I got mad option paralysis. It's all down to preference and tolerance though I guess.

Depends which modulation effects you use the most?
  • thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2316
    Dopesick said:
    Zoom MS-70CDR has some absolutely amazing sounds, but if you're hoping to use it live then good luck. Some of the delays and reverbs are legit some of the best I've heard, but it was such a pain in the arse to go from one patch to another, and in the end I got mad option paralysis. It's all down to preference and tolerance though I guess.

Depends which modulation effects you use the most?
    I thought you could set the MS70 up so that you just cycle through presets - I'd probably have around 5-6 presets (just one effect at a time) and just cycle through them. 
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    I was going to write something about there being a gap in the market for this kind of pedal but googled it first and just came across me on here saying there's a gap in the market for this kind of pedal... :astonished: 

There are some very cheap multi mod pedals (Nux, Moore,etc) and some nicer ones (Alexander, ZCat,etc) but not with pre sets. The Zoom CDR ticks a lot of boxes but, allegedly, doesn't look best set up for live use. The Source Audio Orbital has two presets so might be worth a look. Their more recent single mod pedals(chorus, phaser, flanger)have an option to download an alternative mod which you can then access via a toggle switch. 

And then it seems to leap to Strymon and Eventide (bypassing the Line 6 MM4 as a bit old and the GFI Wavelogic as there's no UK distribution). 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • I wouldn't worry about something not sounding as good as the strymon. Digital modelling is amazing these days - the zoom is fantastic. 

I have a feeling line 6 will close that gap - the best quality (ie helix) effects in a M5-mark two that's easy to use and not quite strymon money (although it won't be cheap). 
  • CookiemonsterCookiemonster Frets: 882
    edited March 2017
    OK I have the cdr. It's very good for reverb and delay. Switching isn't great. There is a bit of tone suck I feel. But it's a good pedal and very useful....but.....the modulations are better on the m5. There not great on the zoom. 

Instagram is Rocknrollismyescape -

FOR SALE - Catalinbread Echorec, Sonic Blue classic player strat and a Digitech bad monkey

• 4114Effects4114Effects Frets: 3131
    tFB Trader
    Nova modulation can be modded for easier preset scrolling with an external switch -  I've done the same with the nova delay and it makes it a doddle to use live.

The mod makes the pedal somewhat of a bargain when you look at the capabilities, I assume it would work equally well for the modulator. So much so that I'm on the lookout for one. 
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4510
    edited March 2017
    I have the zoom and the modulations are kinda digital, not very warm
  • PeterOnePeterOne Frets: 33
    Happy with my Source Audio Orbital. Has a good range of modulations, plus tap tempo which is what sold me on it.
  • Line 6 MM4 (although only three presets) or a Yamaha Magic stomp ?
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4641

Not sure what the mods are like, but a Neunaber slate + exp could be worth a look, but only 4 presets.  Or the Keeley Super Mod Workstation, but only 2 mods there.  
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30826
    Anything sounds better than the Mobius ! I am the king of strymon haters, admittedlly, but that is a total lemon.

If you are prepaered to rack, the Line6 Mod Pro is a colossus. Utterly unbeatable. Or, GFX Wavelogic is excellent, but as expensive as the Mobius.

The sleeper is the Source Audio- fab tone, very good features- but not sure how many presets.

The Zoom is also excellent from what others have told me (Incl Steve McElroy) but I've not tried.

if you can use a rack unit, get the Mod Pro. It's so far ahead it's untrue. The only mild weakness is the vibe but then I'm comparing it v Mayer and Black Cat Rack  analog Vibes- the phaser is the best I've heard, the chorus is perfect and the flanger superb.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• PeterOnePeterOne Frets: 33
    The Source Audio has two presets (unless I'm using it wrong)
  • thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2316
    Hmm thanks chaps.. am angling towards the zcat now tbh. think it looks pretty simple and should be able to quickly dial in what I what.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30826
    thomasw88 said:
    Hmm thanks chaps.. am angling towards the zcat now tbh. think it looks pretty simple and should be able to quickly dial in what I what.
    Had one. Very good for the money.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• The old Yamaha DG stomp can turn off it's pre modelling preamp and speaker sim, leaving you with just modulations, delay and reverb.  It's got a cracking leslie setting on it too.  Its a bit old but could work in a pinch.
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26453
    If you don't mind a bit of DIY, you can make a tiny USB gadget that can MIDI-enable the MS70CDR for about £15 in parts; if you don't want DIY, it'll cost about £70-odd.

Alternatively, you could get one of these for a small MIDI controller with built-in USB functionality, designed specifically to control the MS70CDR:

http://www.disasterareaamps.com/shop/dmc-3xl-gen3
    <space for hire>
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5128
    If you're going the MIDI controller route to enable patch switching, doesn't that put the M5 right back in the game?

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26453
    If you're going the MIDI controller route to enable patch switching, doesn't that put the M5 right back in the game?
    Kinda, except that the M5 can only do one effect at a time (and the effects aren't as good as in the Zoom, IMO).
    <space for hire>
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    Gassage said:
    Anything sounds better than the Mobius ! I am the king of strymon haters, admittedlly, but that is a total lemon.

If you are prepaered to rack, the Line6 Mod Pro is a colossus. Utterly unbeatable. Or, GFX Wavelogic is excellent, but as expensive as the Mobius.

The sleeper is the Source Audio- fab tone, very good features- but not sure how many presets.

The Zoom is also excellent from what others have told me (Incl Steve McElroy) but I've not tried.

if you can use a rack unit, get the Mod Pro. It's so far ahead it's untrue. The only mild weakness is the vibe but then I'm comparing it v Mayer and Black Cat Rack  analog Vibes- the phaser is the best I've heard, the chorus is perfect and the flanger superb.
    I find the modulations in the Eleven Rack pretty bloody good. 

Nice Vibe
    Phaser
    couple of Choruses
    etc etc. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.