Favourite Kemper profiles?

What's Hot
imalrightjackimalrightjack Frets: 3723
Just wondering what all of your favourite Kemper profiles - and why/what you use them for.

I suspect I'm going to spend some cash but interested to see what people are enjoying and who they buy from.  I've got a lot to exhaust before pulling the trigger anyway but no harm asking.

Thanks!
Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• -Ed--Ed- Frets: 28
    TAF Diezel Herbie
    TAF or Sinmix 6505 and 5150 profiles
    I find TAF profiles generally excellent but I do dial back the reverb instantly on loading them. I run non powered KPA into HS8s

I use them for rock, metal and the odd bit of bluesy noodles. 

fantastic profiles, money well spent. 

Bought some mbritt ones ones but haven't yet got them to sound anything like what I'd consider awesome. More tweakage required methinks. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • PVO_DavePVO_Dave Frets: 2364
    Big fan of the Mbritt profiles, I did buy a TAF Marshall pack, but the over use of reverb / delay put me off initially, remove that though and they sound great. 

Also so a fan of Top Jimi, his Marshall Superlead 68+74 profiles are great if you're after that type of sound :) 
  • Really like most M Britt profiles, I've found they work best for live use as they're a bit darker and mid heavy than some others. 

Tonehammer Splawn and 6534 and Rectifier packs are great too, they're all merged so also sound awesome through a regular cab.

STL have some good stuff too, I really like their Vox stuff and the 5153 profiles, probably my favourites for recording. 
  • jimificationjimification Frets: 160
    edited March 2017
    It varies quite a lot but at the moment:

Lazy J (paid - sweetspot profiles) (I much prefer this to the TAF Lazy J)
    Splawn (Fast Red Pony Car - free on the RE) - fantastic for a bit of George Lynch Monkey hour fun!
    Casswell and other marshalls (paid - yes, the Top Jimi M's are great!)
    Carr Rambler Pentode 3 (Vaisatchattruchi - free on the RE)

Incidentally I find the KPA to be very low tweak time... In fact if I switch it on, chances are I will just be lost for an hour playing whatever the first profile I come to is!
  • Thanks for the all the comments.

I'm tempted to wipe the Kemper of all presets and gradually add a dozen or something.  Is it possible to reset it back, if that proves a bad idea?

My band, Red For Dissent
    You can perform a backup, what I did personally, was to create a local copy in Rig Manager (created a folder and dragged them over), then wipe them off the Kemper. 

I then just added back on the ones I'm more likely to use. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9446
    PVO_Dave said:
    You can perform a backup, what I did personally, was to create a local copy in Rig Manager (created a folder and dragged them over), then wipe them off the Kemper. 

I then just added back on the ones I'm more likely to use. 
    I followed this advice too, and it made things so much easier
  • Zodiac51Zodiac51 Frets: 340
    Just posted in your other Kemper thread - Morgan AC20 by rmpacheco on rig exchange - just sort the 9000 odd rigs by number of votes, it come up at the top :)
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11413

I'll have to look these up.

I got the Amp Factory ones but the 20 was profiled with the wrong speaker.  It was some kind of 15" not a Blue.  I actually prefer the ones I did myself with just an SM57 into the Kemper with no expensive preamps.  I think I had the mic a bit too close and got a bit of proximity effect but if I dial back the bass they aren't bad at all.

There are some divided by 13 profiles in a MBritt pack I got that do the souped up tweed thing quite well, so I've been using those quite a lot.

I've got some Amp Factory ones and some MBritt ones.  Generally I prefer the MBritt ones.  I'd agree with what others have said about the Amp Factory profiles having too much delay and reverb.

Does anyone know any good bass amp profiles free or cheap?  I'm trying to record some bass at the moment.
    crunchman said:

I'll have to look these up.

I got the Amp Factory ones but the 20 was profiled with the wrong speaker.  It was some kind of 15" not a Blue.  I actually prefer the ones I did myself with just an SM57 into the Kemper with no expensive preamps.  I think I had the mic a bit too close and got a bit of proximity effect but if I dial back the bass they aren't bad at all.

There are some divided by 13 profiles in a MBritt pack I got that do the souped up tweed thing quite well, so I've been using those quite a lot.

I've got some Amp Factory ones and some MBritt ones.  Generally I prefer the MBritt ones.  I'd agree with what others have said about the Amp Factory profiles having too much delay and reverb.

Does anyone know any good bass amp profiles free or cheap?  I'm trying to record some bass at the moment.
    @crunchman the TAF free bass profiles are OK to start with, I think I'll need to get some paid ones at some point though;

http://www.theampfactory.com/downloads/bass-profiles/
    PVO_Dave said:
    @crunchman the TAF free bass profiles are OK to start with, I think I'll need to get some paid ones at some point though;

I tried those but wasn't getting the kind of sound I want.  It may be a case of needing a Precision rather than my Jazz though.  I don't know if there is a way to get more meat and punch out of a Jazz.
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    edited March 2017
    crunchman said:
    PVO_Dave said:

I tried those but wasn't getting the kind of sound I want.  It may be a case of needing a Precision rather than my Jazz though.  I don't know if there is a way to get more meat and punch out of a Jazz.
    Cut the bridge pickup volume. 

Edit:

i mean roll it off, not physically cut it. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • crunchman said:
    PVO_Dave said:

Jazz basses are usually lower output, and have more deep lows than a P but less upper bass punch, and less mids.  One way to get more punch with what you already have is simply to up the input gain, favour one pickup, probably the neck if you like the sound of a P (both pickups on equally is most scooped, also note it doesn't take much travel on the volume pot to favour one pickup) and add a bit of a bump to the upper bass.  You might also try lowering the tone control slightly.

crunchman said:
    PVO_Dave said:

Jazz basses are usually lower output, and have more deep lows than a P but less upper bass punch, and less mids.  One way to get more punch with what you already have is simply to up the input gain, favour one pickup, probably the neck if you like the sound of a P (both pickups on equally is most scooped, also note it doesn't take much travel on the volume pot to favour one pickup) and add a bit of a bump to the upper bass.  You might also try lowering the tone control slightly.

I'll play around with it.  I've actually got a borrowed Squier P Bass Special at home at the moment.  That's getting me a lot closer to the sound I want (without any tweaking) than the much more expensive Jazz I have.  I much prefer the 38mm nut width on the Jazz though to a normal Precision.   I've been thinking about selling the Jazz and getting some kind of PJ hybrid like the P Bass Special, but then I hear recordings of bands where the bass is a Jazz but seems to have a lot more meat to it than mine - which is why I asked the question about bass amp profiles.

Sorry to the OP for derailing the thread.
    crunchman said:
    crunchman said:
    PVO_Dave said:

I'll play around with it.  I've actually got a borrowed Squier P Bass Special at home at the moment.  That's getting me a lot closer to the sound I want (without any tweaking) than the much more expensive Jazz I have.  I much prefer the 38mm nut width on the Jazz though to a normal Precision.   I've been thinking about selling the Jazz and getting some kind of PJ hybrid like the P Bass Special, but then I hear recordings of bands where the bass is a Jazz but seems to have a lot more meat to it than mine - which is why I asked the question about bass amp profiles.

Sorry to the OP for derailing the thread.
    Might be worth checking out the J-Retro pre-amp you can get, I've got one in my Jazz bass, gives you a lot of flexibility if you want it :) - Again, sorry for the derail! 
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26458
    Here's one for y'all...the (frankly awesome) profile I made of the Kraken's Gain I channel last year. It's an amp-only profile, so you'll have to add a cab as necessary:

Download link

<space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9654
    Here's one for y'all...the (frankly awesome) profile I made of the Kraken's Gain I channel last year. It's an amp-only profile, so you'll have to add a cab as necessary:

Download link

Out of interest how do you profile it without the cab? Is it a dummy loud on the speaker output, then the line out of that to the mic input for profiling?
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1756
    MBritt all the way but have pulled a few nice ones for free off the Kemper FB group, particularly the Petrucci Boogie a fine set that goes from clean to scream all in the same profile. 
  • Some interesting contributions, thanks!

@digitalscream - tough to tell through my cab but sounds a tad woolly.  But I equally don't know how it should sound...

@Jez6345789 - do you have a link to the Petrucci ones?  Or even the FB group?

My band, Red For Dissent
  • Thought I would try out the MBritt Dumble Pack and the ODS ones are really really good.