WTB 60s stratocaster top e machine head

What's Hot
jamesoliver1234jamesoliver1234 Frets: 1268
edited March 2017 in Guitar
I'm looking for a Machine head for my 1961 fender strat...id like an original one...if anyone has one for sale pllease comment or message me cheers James.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• andrewawardandrewaward Frets: 1155
    The outer ones are the hardest to find................and if you do find one the patina won't be an exact match to your existing ones (it might be close but never exact).

I sometimes think its better to sell the 5 you have (individually) and buy a matching set.

If your 61 Strat has an original finish I would be tempted to do just that
  • jamesoliver1234jamesoliver1234 Frets: 1268
    edited March 2017
    its a refinish and its slightly bent....its my main gigiing guitar do 250 plus gigs a year with and its bothering me! slighty
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24578
    its a refinish and its slightly bent....its my main gigiing guitar done 250 plus gigs a year with and its bothering me! slighty
    Does it affect getting it into/holding tune?
  • andrewawardandrewaward Frets: 1155
    if its just a bent shaft you can straighten it, carefully with a vice , watching how you grip it
  • @Bridgehouse slighty but nothing major
  • @andrewaward  im scared to do ti! 
    @Bridgehouse slighty but nothing major
    I would go with a repro. set of aged tuners - carefully store the originals somewhere safe, keep the original ferrules and enjoy nice high-gear ratio rock solid tuning with no risk of bending any more of your originals.. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
    A set of these repro aged Klusons would do it - screw holes will match up and they won't look out of place (99.9% of people wouldn't notice they were swapped out) but you get brand new interior mechanism - solid and reliable..

http://www.fake58.co.uk/F%20Tuners.htm
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14030
    edited March 2017 tFB Trader
    @Bridgehouse slighty but nothing major
    I would go with a repro. set of aged tuners - carefully store the originals somewhere safe, keep the original ferrules and enjoy nice high-gear ratio rock solid tuning with no risk of bending any more of your originals.. 
    I'd tend to endorse that - you could end up paying far more for one old tuner (if you can find one), than you would for a good set of replicas - Keep the old ones for any potential future sale of the guitar - http://www.eddievegas.com/store/products/Fender-Tuners/1.php - flick through his various pages and see some potential HIGH prices of used tuners
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24793
    Yep - an aged repro set is definitely your best bet as @Bridgehouse and @guitars4you have said.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71956
    I'll add another +1 to that as well. If it's a working guitar, fit modern repros that work better and keep the ludicrously expensive originals somewhere safe in case you ever want to sell it. There's no point spending as much as a single one of the original heads is 'worth' now when you can get a whole set of top-quality replacements for less.

I would apply the same logic to any other of the hardware parts too, even the pickups.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• thebreezethebreeze Frets: 2797

ICBM said:
    I'll add another +1 to that as well. If it's a working guitar, fit modern repros that work better and keep the ludicrously expensive originals somewhere safe in case you ever want to sell it. There's no point spending as much as a single one of the original heads is 'worth' now when you can get a whole set of top-quality replacements for less.

I would apply the same logic to any other of the hardware parts too, even the pickups.
    Just as a matter of interest what would you worry about happening to the pickups?

@andrewaward  im scared to do ti! 
    Veering wildly OT for a moment - did you get to see Albert Lee in the end James?  I'm going tonight.....
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71956
    thebreeze said:

Just as a matter of interest what would you worry about happening to the pickups?
    It's quite common for the winding to corrode through at the inner end, where you can't repair it without rewinding the pickup. The wire is wound directly onto the magnets, and the coil is not airtight because the tooling holes go into the space between the magnets… so damp can get in and cause a spot of corrosion between the magnet and the wire.

So then your options are:

1. Rewind the original pickup.
    2. Buy another one of the same age.
    3. Replace it with a modern repro and keep the old dead pickup safe.

I would go for 3, or 1. 2 is daft when you can buy an entire Mexican Fender guitar for less than the price of an original pre-CBS Strat pickup.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• @andrewaward i certainly did! .....thanks everyone for the advice so far.
  • @thebreeze pickups are fine at the moment! 
  • thebreezethebreeze Frets: 2797
    @thebreeze pickups are fine at the moment! 
    but did you get to see Albert Lee in the end?
  • @thebreeze  yes i did