New Feline Junior Day

What's Hot
martinwmartinw Frets: 2149
in Guitar tFB Trader

I had a trip down to Croydon yesterday to @FelineGuitars to collect my DC Lion Cub and drop off the second of Jonathan's Goldstar amps (MJW #200). It was a very enjoyable day, and good to see what goes on in his workshop, but the highlight for me was getting my hands on this Lion Cub Junior.

It was a long day, so when I got back I intended to have 10 minutes noodling with the guitar, but that turned into an hour, as this is one of those guitars that just does that to you. I've already played @ThorpyFX 's similar guitar, so I hoped mine would be of the same calibre, and of course it is. The oil finish is very tactile and smooth, the neck carve is just right and the fretwork is perfection. The guitar currently has 10s on it, and these seem perfect, even though I would normally use 9.5s, I forgot about it after 30 seconds.

Tonally, the BKP Nantucket coupled with 550k pots offers a range of sounds from beefy Tele to grunty LP via all kinds of shades. The controls are incredibly useable, and I think Jonathan's choice of components plays a part here. Both volume and tone work well to provide  a range of sound options that are surprising for a single pickup guitar. The sustain is wonderful, and I'm impressed with the Earvana nut that allows the top 2 strings to ring with an unusual clarity. The basic everything on 10 tone of the guitar is bang on for a large part of what I will do with my rock covers band, being much like a slightly weightier SG sound, but with an added P90 twang.

I'm really looking forward to playing it at the next rehearsal tomorrow night and a gig the week after. Jonathan's photography is much better than mine, so I've borrowed his pics:image

0reaction image LOL 30reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    Gorgeous!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • martinwmartinw Frets: 2149
    tFB Trader

I love the little details that make this a real quality instrument: real mother-of-pearl inlays, even side dots, ebony head stock facing, the Graphtech bridge and Earvana nut, BKP pickup and pots, paper-in-oil cap, celluloid pickguard and most importantly of course careful wood choice. The positioning of the bridge is so accurate that the grub screws for intonation adjustment can be left out! :)

Here it is with Jonathan's 'Blackface' Goldstar:image

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7959
    Looks fantastic.
  • mr_airmr_air Frets: 24
    It's a stunner! No doubt about it and now I want one too.
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6118
    tFB Trader
    Congrats Martin, it's just a shame that you don't have any high quality amps to play it through...... ;)
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11542
    tFB Trader
    Glad you and guitar got home safely.
    I apologise to Mrs MJW for the "lost time" you'll spend playing your new toy

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30289
    WOW!!!
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 4998
    Like!
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • BluesyDaveBluesyDave Frets: 410
    Great work.
    No Darling....I've had that ages.
  • RickydRickyd Frets: 149
    That really does look superb, oozes class, congratulations.
  • LescasterLescaster Frets: 107
    Incredible guitar. You can clearly tell the quality of the build and parts from the photos.

I'd love to have one of these in a pelham blue or shoreline gold. I think I'd never stop looking at it.
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    Love it, I've been tempted by these Feline Juniors. One day.
  • SimpleSimonSimpleSimon Frets: 1025
    martinw said:

I love the little details that make this a real quality instrument: real mother-of-pearl inlays, even side dots, ebony head stock facing, the Graphtech bridge and Earvana nut, BKP pickup and pots, paper-in-oil cap, celluloid pickguard and most importantly of course careful wood choice. The positioning of the bridge is so accurate that the grub screws for intonation adjustment can be left out! :)

Here it is with Jonathan's 'Blackface' Goldstar:image

saw this on Facebook last night, looks stunning indeed. A single cut would definitely be on my wish list. Without being viewed as vulgar what sort of monies buys such quality?

• hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2352
    But @dindude - they're not made in the US? Would you break such dedication to their higher quality products? ;-)
  • relic245relic245 Frets: 959
    saw this on Facebook last night, looks stunning indeed. A single cut would definitely be on my wish list. Without being viewed as vulgar what sort of monies buys such quality?
    There are sample prices on the feline website (I bet I'm not the only one who's been looking after this thread ;) ) It shows prices for this starting at £2k. Bearing in mind what you would pay for a Gibson or Fender that comes from the custom shop that's probably very reasonable.
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    Not being funny mate that looks f%^$ incredible... the grain and the pearloid are a perfect match.  I want to eat it
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3831
    Wow, that's nice. 
  • EdGripEdGrip Frets: 736
    This looks beautiful! The scratchplate and the satin oil finish in particular really make it. 

• Wow! That looks amazing, congrats. I never understood why we don't see more of the LPDC shape, it really is a great looking guitar.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Oh man, it's perfect.

One day.