The Reviews Section - please read.

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• sev112sev112 Frets: 2739
    This will be cool. This will be great for those guitars that don't get reviewed that we own. I love my guitars, I love their flaws and their strengths and weaknesses and different sounds and foibles. Were you to read a mag review it would discourage you, but by speaking to someone who plays them and loves them warts and all then we can encourage some of those to be moved around the community more regularly . Just need to work out how to upload some. GoPro clips and get going
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • xsheqxsheq Frets: 71
    In case it's of any use, I make films and have written for music mags like Clash, DiS, the Quietus etc.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    I guess that excludes @Gassage .
    He's never owned anything for longer than 3 days let alone 3 months.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • StormshadowGuitarsStormshadowGuitars Frets: 1215
    tFB Trader
    TTony said:
    WezV said:
    Do we take it as a given that reviews should not come from manufacturers about there own products, whatever there scale?

Definitely.

Any manufacturer who "reviews" their own product will have the review removed.
    Well said @TTony
    They definitely need to reviewed impartially and independently by an owner of some time, not just someone that happens to have picked one up and played it or bought it a week ago.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725

What about having vendor reviews section?

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27342
    What were you thinking @octatonic - what did you mean by "vendor"?
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    TTony said:
    What were you thinking @octatonic - what did you mean by "vendor"?
    Music shops, primarily- especially some of the lesser known online ones, maybe even eBay stores. 
    What triggered it was a cymbal purchase from an online store that is significantly cheaper than elsewhere.
    The reason why was that they were grey importing bits from the US so anyone considering purchase would benefit from knowing they are grey imports because warranty repair might (or might not) be more of an ordeal.

I figured there would be equivalent sorts of stores in the guitar world and it might be good to have a repository of knowledge on them.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    Reviews of vendors then, not vendors reviewing stuff. :bz ?
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    Reviews of vendors then, not vendors reviewing stuff. :bz ?
    Yes.
  • GadgetGadget Frets: 895
    edited July 2016
    Firstly, apologies for the necromancy.

Personally, I'd be a little concerned by the "expect and accept that someone else may well have a different opinion on the exact same piece of gear.  We'd like to encourage a follow-on debate for each review..."

I think space for Q&A within each review is useful, as are expressions of thanks and requests for more details, but debate would suggest that someone with a differing opinion should be able to express it directly within your review thread.

I think this is wrong and likely to put off all but the most thick-skinned of reviewers.

If someone has taken the time to do a review, no matter how 'wrong' anyone else considers them to be, it should stand as their review. If anyone else wishes to express a contrasting opinion, then I think they should have to do that in their own, separate review.

Think about it. You absolutley love your amp / guitar / pedal. You take time to right a well-informed piece about its virtues, following all the guidelines. Then 20 other forumites dive-in and tell you you must be some kind of tone-deaf nutter. Are you ever going to do any more reviews? I don't think so.

IMHO it would perhaps be best to encourage dissenting readers to add something along the lines of simply "see my alternative review of this item at (insert link) ", then people can go and look there for a different take.

I'm not trying to stifle opinion or debate, as that is obviously important, but the whole of the rest of the forum is for that. An individual's review should be just that, no matter how many and varied we have.
    I think, therefore.... I... ummmm........
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27342
    Gadget said:
    IMHO it would perhaps be best to encourage dissenting readers to add something along the lines of simply "see my alternative review of this item at (insert link) ", then people can go and look there for a different take.

I'm not trying to stifle opinion or debate, as that is obviously important, but the whole of the rest of the forum is for that. An individual's review should be just that, no matter how many and varied we have.
    @Gadget ;

Having thought about your comments, I think you're probably spot on.

@Roland - happy with that suggestion?
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8590
    edited August 2016
    I agree that major differences of opinion merit separate reviews. There's room for both approaches, depending on what you have to say. If there's a major difference of opinion then it merits a second review. However it would stifle debate if we insisted on a fresh thread simply to say "actually, I don't find that because ..."
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.