Kemp Guitars *2016 Build Thread*

What's Hot
xKempGuitarsxKempGuitars Frets: 183
edited January 2019 in Made in the UK

Hello theFretBoard,

New to this forum, I came across it accidentally whilst searching for remnants of my previous business online.

I've been building an assortment of guitar designs for some years now and there's been an interesting variety. However, there is a price to pay for making up new templates each time a new build comes in. Therefore, I have decided to take a little control of the situation and add elements of my own tastes (and continuity) to my work... Whilst still offering "one-off" builds.

I've been working on some new design ideas for guitars, nothing too extreme, and I wanted to share some of the work with you. I will post regularly if the interest is there - I have a number of stock/showcase builds on at the moment, so I hope that you enjoy looking at the guitars I'm making...

The new body designs I am using are made up of a combination of various designs I've used in the past - various curved sections, cutaway depths and shapes, bevelled edges, etc. The first example being the KM-1, seen here with Wenge top on Black Limba body and TOM bridge recess...

More to follow

Kemp Guitars - Custom Made Guitars for the Modern Rock & Metal Guitarist
0reaction image LOL 10reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• xKempGuitarsxKempGuitars Frets: 183
    edited January 2019

Recently finished, another KM-2 with Black Limba body, Purpleheart/Maple five-piece neck, Purpleheart fretboard and Gotoh hardware...

kemp-gallery-10jpg

kemp-gallery-14jpg

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited January 2019

The latest build out the workshop - KM-1 with Claro Walnut top on Ash body, Black Walnut/Ash/Wenge 5-piece neck, Indian Rosewood fretboard, Gotoh fixed bridge, 301 Series tuners and oil finish...

kemp-gallery-17jpg

kemp-gallery-19jpg

I have a couple of custom builds to finish before I move on to the next batch of stock builds. More to come around Christmas/New Year, including 7-string KM-2 and a couple more KM-1s

0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8590
    What's the reason for Tung oil on the body and Tru-oil on the neck?
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I must admit I'm not that taken with the style, but I do like the woods and like that more builders are using interesting woods and showing them off. It seems that was always mainly the preserve of bass guitars so it's nice to see that it's not the case any more. :)
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • Hi 
    nice to see a UK showcase and nice to see some different designs and wood choices.

from my personal perspective the designs need a bit of finessing the KM1 topped with Wenge or Claro Look unfinished the way the the wood just sits on top without 
    anything in the design to make it sit organically looks odd.

not sure if you are working with hand tools or cnc but often these styles favour Cnc where fancier arcs and curves can bring a design together.

they are obviously pitched at the modern rock market and as such have to compete with some very popular brands like Black Machine Mayones etc etc

I liked the KM-11 more but again the forearm cut looks a little lacking and as a design element seems to have little effect in form or function than to break up the body line.

Ultimately I don't usually play these types of guitar but I understand the where they are pitched if I needed to get to market at this point then they are probably good enough and I would launch with these but I would have the rev2 in the works, that as I said finesses these designs and evolves the product quickly.

all that said I am being picky but you threw them out for comments so am trying to be constructive and I am only really looking at them from a design perspective rather than how they hang together and play as an instrument which I am sure you have well covered.

nice work

• Actually the KM-I Claro Walnut is my favourite, seems to put across less of a rawk image than the KM-II.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    Very nice indeed! 
  • AustrianJohnAustrianJohn Frets: 1666
    edited November 2016
    I've bought three part built projects from Matt - the most recent of which combines a neck and body that are pictured above (but not attached to each other). I requested a specific body/neck combination, and suggested that I'd like an additional pickup rout (meaning that I would do it myself) - but Matt did that before he shipped it (maybe he's seen my routing). Actually, I'm rather chuffed to realise that I now own KM1 #1 - hopefully Kemp guitars can go from strength to strength and I'll find myself sitting on a gold mine ;-)

The woods that Matt uses, and his workmanship, are awesome. I've learnt loads about guitar making working with his builds, and his guitars always play wonderfully.

Interesting that @Jez6345789 says these are aimed at the modern rock market (which I'm sure they are), as I'm an old fart that plays blues and old rock, and I love them. But I'm a sucker for an interesting guitar built out of nice wood.

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/78544/new-build-not-a-kit-this-time

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/89191/first-wenge-build

edited January 2019
      Roland said:
    What's the reason for Tung oil on the body and Tru-oil on the neck?

Thank you all for your comments and feedback.

Roland, good question. I've only recently started using Tung oil and it's now my favourite finish in terms of aesthetics. However, I don't find it as durable as Tru-Oil so I use that as my primary neck finish, being that the neck will be handled more than the body. I do offer any combination of these as neck/body finishes on my custom builds.

Hi 
    nice to see a UK showcase and nice to see some different designs and wood choices.

from my personal perspective the designs need a bit of finessing the KM1 topped with Wenge or Claro Look unfinished the way the the wood just sits on top without 
    anything in the design to make it sit organically looks odd.

not sure if you are working with hand tools or cnc but often these styles favour Cnc where fancier arcs and curves can bring a design together.

they are obviously pitched at the modern rock market and as such have to compete with some very popular brands like Black Machine Mayones etc etc

I liked the KM-11 more but again the forearm cut looks a little lacking and as a design element seems to have little effect in form or function than to break up the body line.

Ultimately I don't usually play these types of guitar but I understand the where they are pitched if I needed to get to market at this point then they are probably good enough and I would launch with these but I would have the rev2 in the works, that as I said finesses these designs and evolves the product quickly.

all that said I am being picky but you threw them out for comments so am trying to be constructive and I am only really looking at them from a design perspective rather than how they hang together and play as an instrument which I am sure you have well covered.

nice work

Jez; I'm always open to feedback and will not take it to heart when someone isn't keen on my designs - "each to their own" and all that

The basis of these designs is functionality, simplicity (stripped-down) and natural aesthetics.

The points you mentioned are all part of these designs on purpose, even if some of them did come about by accident. I used a veneer top with that same chamfer on an earlier "prototype" but now prefer the thicker drop-top (as most would). The chamfer and the two woods revealed on that edge are part of the design - and perhaps if it weren't for the chamfer then there might be some binding, I don't know

I'm sure there will be small changes over time, but I believe the KM-1 and KM-2 as they are now are here to stay.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Hello AustrianJohn. You must've been typing up your post at the same time I was... Thank you for the kind words. I've just had a look at your threads... Some nice guitars there :3
  • Very, very nice. I'm not too keen on the short lower horn on a couple of them, but I absolutely love the choice of woods and finishing. I'm firmly of the belief that wenge and black limba are the best-looking woods possible for workhorse guitars (one of my two main guitars has a black limba body, and the other has a one-off compressed wenge top), so you've got near to the top of my list for "most beatiful guitars ever" in your first post here :D
    <space for hire>
    edited January 2019
    Very, very nice. I'm not too keen on the short lower horn on a couple of them, but I absolutely love the choice of woods and finishing. I'm firmly of the belief that wenge and black limba are the best-looking woods possible for workhorse guitars (one of my two main guitars has a black limba body, and the other has a one-off compressed wenge top), so you've got near to the top of my list for "most beatiful guitars ever" in your first post here D

Thank you very much, digitalscream

I totally agree with you on the Black Limba and Wenge... Purpleheart for me is another, looks very nice against Limba as well. I've just depleted my Black Limba stock on the next KM-2 7-string (due to be finished over the next month).

• DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    Loving that KM-II. 

Nice work mate. Also, great work @AustrianJohn too!

I really need to try again with a kit. 
  • Deijavoo said:
    Loving that KM-II. 

Nice work mate. Also, great work @AustrianJohn too!

I really need to try again with a kit. 

Thanks Deijavoo. I'll continue updating on this and other builds regularly =)

• AustrianJohnAustrianJohn Frets: 1666
    edited December 2016
    I now have all of the components for my Kemp based build - Iron Gear pickups are installed...

Cavity was routed anticipating a single volume for a single pickup. I need to install a stacked volume/tone pot, plus a 3 way switch. Space is rather constrained so I'm going to take my time.

edited January 2019
    I now have all of the components for my Kemp based build - Iron Gear pickups are installed...

[PIC REMOVED]

Cavity was routed anticipating a single volume for a single pickup. I need to install a stacked volume/tone pot, plus a 3 way switch. Space is rather constrained so I'm going to take my time.

[PIC REMOVED]

Looking good, John  

edited January 2019

Another stock build in progress is this "all-Sapele" KM-1 6-string (except for the Makore fretboard). This one will be loaded with Gotoh fixed bridge (ignore the 7-string bridge in the photo) and tuners once complete around late December/early January.

Sapele has been one of my favourite "tonewoods" since I used it on my first ever full build. It's easy to work with and smells nice, but (sadly) it's usually seen as a "cheaper" alternative to Mahogany. This couldn't be any further from the truth; Sapele is more readily available so, naturally, it won't cost as much as Mahogany. Sapele is "similar" to Mahogany in appearance and tone, however, Sapele also offers more punch and bright, airy highs... And it's prettier than most genuine Mahogany =)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Here's another build on the bench at the moment; it's a 7-string KM-II with Black Walnut off-set body, Maple neck and bound Ebony fretboard. This one will be loaded with Original Floyd Rose, BKP Juggarnaut set and Hipshot Grip-Lock, and is due to be shipped out to USA around mid-January...

32-6jpg

• Lookin' good :)

Also, I cleared up those duplicate posts for you...
    <space for hire>
  • MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    Hi @KempGuitars, Megii (aka Megi) from the "other forum" - like what you're doing, and as always, the new designs have that bit of artistic design flair in the lines that I've been struck by before. Any chance you could post a few pics of some of the carved top set neck guitars you've done though? - I thought some of those were really stunning looking instruments. :)