Budget bass best buys?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• mike257mike257 Frets: 374
    I still gig with my squier standard p bass special. If you get one used you could probably flip it if you didn't like it too. I'd say used prices for squier cv and vm are proportionally much better than for used Mexican fenders too.
    This.  First bass I bought at age 14 was my Squier P special.  P and J pickups for a bit of variety in tone, slim Jazz Bass neck on a Precision bass body.  I still own it and frequently play it at home - I'll even give the other basses a break and occasionally gig it - the neck feels great.  I've upgraded the electronics with new pickups, pots and wiring but even in it's stock form it'll do you fine if you're only dabbling in bass.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Guitar_SlingerGuitar_Slinger Frets: 1489
    edited June 2019
    Four strings for the price of 6!
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    Got my Yamaha BEX4 off ebay for a shave over £200, I love it. Doesn't feel so freakishly long necked like the Fenders.

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    My Vintage V8004B, which looks like this:

They go for £250-300 new. I'd be looking for about £150-80. It's in very good nick, I'll put some new strings on it too.

It's a nice looking thing, poplar body, maple bolt-on neck and bubinga top. Versatile, with a Precision and Jazz pickup - passive electronics, keeps things simple. Lightweight and comfortable to play standing or sitting for a long time, nice slim neck and it sounds good too. It's served me pretty well in the two years or so that I've had it, but I need the money for other gear purchases and I have my dad's stunning MIJ Jazz available to me for bass practice, so this one isn't being played much atm.

Let me know if you're interested. :)
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."