whats the difference between an Epiphone LP Standard and a ''model''?

What's Hot
robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3354
On the head stock it says Gibson on the little cover jobby, then ''Les Paul Model'' up the middle then Epiphone on the top, Is the Les Paul Model and Les Paul Standard the same thing?
A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    edited June 2017
    Yes.

The Les Paul Model is the "official" name of what we refer to as the Les Paul Standard. It was the initial signature guitar for Les Paul, so they called it the Les Paul Model, and then the later models - Junior, Custom etc - got those names to distinguish themselves from the plain old Les Paul, which was never officially called the "Standard" by Gibson in its initial production run from 1952 to 1960.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3354
    Ah, coolio, Its just that some have ''Standard'' and some have ''Model'' written on them so I was a bit thrown. What are they like? Are they a decent guitar? Ive got GAS and very little money but quite a few guitars have come up for sale locally.
    edited June 2017
    robgilmo said:
    Ah, coolio, Its just that some have ''Standard'' and some have ''Model'' written on them so I was a bit thrown. What are they like? Are they a decent guitar? Ive got GAS and very little money but quite a few guitars have come up for sale locally.
    The "Model" script is really just a nod to the past - it's what you or I would call a Les Paul Standard.

It depends what you're looking for from a guitar. Like any guitar, there will be good or bad examples - you can easily fall down the rabbit hole of questioning how many good or bad ones there are, you'll find a lot of Gibson/Epiphone bashing on here and other forums... I find Les Pauls take a little getting used to and they aren't necessarily my kind of guitar, but find a good one and they're really, really good. I don't have that much experience with Epiphones, sorry.
    edited June 2017
    Good Epiphone alternatives which should be around the same price but may be slightly better built and nicer to play/listen to - the cheaper Tokais and Burnys, which are Japanese companies whose LP copies gave Gibson a serious run for their money in the 70s and 80s. A particularly nice Tokai or Burny LP from that period will usually command over £1k.

They now do lower-priced Korean and Chinese models too, which are usually pretty solid, sometimes excellent. They have a low profile over here because of the possibility of legal action from Gibson/Epiphone, but you can still find them relatively easily on the used market and they're worth seeking out.

This is the one I'm looking at, I don't know anything about these guitars but it looks bog standard to me, not cheap though.

• ricorico Frets: 1220
    Something doesn't look right about that. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    The tuners are chrome? Ive seen a few with chrome tuners.
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    The headstock looks squint, the Gibson truss rod cover is wonky and the Epiphone logo looks shit. 
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11670
    robgilmo said:
    On the head stock it says Gibson on the little cover jobby, then ''Les Paul Model'' up the middle then Epiphone on the top, Is the Les Paul Model and Les Paul Standard the same thing?
    No reason at all to take a risk with an Epiphone, the brand new models with the superior probucker pickups can be had for about £300 or so new, "cheap" brands are superb value for money these days.  If you are an LP fan you would be daft not to try the new Epis, as a hobby player they have everything you will ever need.

Used you can pick up one thats only a year or two old for £200.  I've heard tell of people getting used Gibson LP Fadeds for under £400 used, and they are epically good guitars.
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
    Do you think the one above might be a fake then?
    edited June 2017
    Something definitely looks off about it, yes.

As for an LP Faded for £400 - if those are the Faded Standards up to about 2010, dream the fuck on. Those are shooting up in value - often up to 2k, as they are reckoned to be some of the best modern LPs available.

A Studio for £400 is achievable, of course.
  • LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    I have a 2016 Epi LP Traditional Pro ii, which is at the higher end of the Epi models, but seriously well presented and featured for the money. Sounds incredible and feels every bit a quality guitar. I've only experienced a couple of incidences of snobbery, and that's until the person concerned pays the thing svc then goes... "Oh! Oh that's good. That's REALLY good!" 

http://www.richtonemusic.co.uk/products/epiphone_ltd_ed_les_paul_traditional_pro-ii_vss.asp?gclid=Cj0KEQjwyN7JBRCZn7LKgb3ki8kBEiQAaLEsqp0vCWgst0oja6IYFfwqzN0v12UdqTpIdzjlf9Wxv90aAg6s8P8HAQ

It seems you can't get the desert finish on mine anymore, but this is the guitar. All I've changed on mine is the knobs.

https://s7.postimg.org/fvpv5md17/FB_IMG_1496256013403.jpg

https://s9.postimg.org/aewnxpt27/20170428_185851.jpg

To me, that one you've put up is definitely off. As I understand it Gibson use 2 screws on the truss rod cover, Epi use 3 plus the head stock and logo don't seem right. I'd steer clear, plenty of good ones out there without taking risks.

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16543
    Where is this place?
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3594
    Bucket said:

As for an LP Faded for £400 - if those are the Faded Standards up to about 2010, dream the fuck on. Those are shooting up in value - often up to 2k, as they are reckoned to be some of the best modern LPs available.

I think @darthed1981 was referring to the normal cheap faded finish LP's which can be bought for that sort of money, not the fancy ones with the similar title. ;)
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11670
    Bucket said:

As @Neil kindly pointed out, I am referring to the current range of Faded Studios - which are superb guitars, I've got a 2016 one in Satin Black and its one of my favourite guitars.

I'm not sure the language was necessary, but I admire your passion ;)
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Bucket said:

As @Neil kindly pointed out, I am referring to the current range of Faded Studios - which are superb guitars, I've got a 2016 one in Satin Black and its one of my favourite guitars.

I'm not sure the language was necessary, but I admire your passion ;)
    Ahhhhh, fair enough. Pardon my French :lol:

I just about remember when these were cheap:

http://img14.deviantart.net/8831/i/2012/291/5/6/gibson_les_paul_standard_faded_by_roman89-d5i71et.jpg

I want one a lot.
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9498
    I don't think that's a fake at all. Very minor variations in the logo (and many other small details) are to be expected between guitars made in different factories, by different companies, in different countries, for, what, 30 years? Not enough to set alarm bells.
    I don't think its a fake, the truss cover has been put on a little crooked but it didn't strike me as being faked, if it were a fake I think they would still have got the truss cover on a little straighter. I reckon the screw stripped the threads and it was redrilled, badly.
  • andypandyp Frets: 332
    edited June 2017
    I've got an ebony Epi LP Standard (2014 model) that I bought new in 2015 and it's brilliant. Indonesian made and it plays great. I thought there was a niggle with the jack socket, but it was just loose. I took it out and put it back together myself and it's spot on now... other than that I've had no issues at all.

It was £299 list price but I got a bit off it as I bought the Epi case too. They're around £350 new now I think, so £250 used for one like mine it seems.

Trying to post a pic so you can maybe see the headstock to compare. This is the best I've got I'm afraid. I've changed the plastics and knobs, so ignore those).

https://imgur.com/a/26Tf0