Advice: Stutter pedal

What's Hot
darcymdarcym Frets: 1297
I'm looking for a stutter pedal that is adjustable in speed and not something you have to keep your foot on, more like a typical effect pedal with hard on/off and a speed setting that's got quite a good wide sweep

I'd also like if possible (this is terrible wording but I don't know how to explain this) it to be quite a "smooth" in that imagine someone turning down the volume really really quick and then back up, rather than someone pulling the plug (it's not essential - I'm just trying to explain the sound I want).

I'm not really aware of stutter pedals as they are not really for my style of music, but it seems like it would be the right tool to try to get this sound.

what are my options ?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    Something like a Boss Slicer? 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • darcymdarcym Frets: 1297
    I'll look at that pedal, didn't even know it existed. thank you.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 27569
    ZVex SeekTrem too.

Are you basically after a pseudo-random tremolo type thing?
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3419
    Rainger do a repeat percussion thing that might work?
  • steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1258
    If you're comfortable with using the toneprint software, tc's new pipeline tremolo looks a good bet.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71953
    darcym said:
    I'm looking for a stutter pedal that is adjustable in speed and not something you have to keep your foot on, more like a typical effect pedal with hard on/off and a speed setting that's got quite a good wide sweep

I'd also like if possible (this is terrible wording but I don't know how to explain this) it to be quite a "smooth" in that imagine someone turning down the volume really really quick and then back up, rather than someone pulling the plug (it's not essential - I'm just trying to explain the sound I want).

I'm not really aware of stutter pedals as they are not really for my style of music, but it seems like it would be the right tool to try to get this sound.

what are my options ?
    A tremolo pedal with a fully-off maximum depth setting will do that. (eg Boss PN-2.)

The problem I find with most of them is that they *don't* sound like the power going on and off, even when they say they have a hard or 'square wave' setting. The PN-2 is one of the few that does it properly.

Failing that the Slicer will definitely do it, although it's large and expensive. I know someone selling one, so if that's what you want PM me.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    edited June 2017
    I use the slicer, it gives that Greenday Boulevard of Broken Dreams effect nicely. It's actually one of the built in effects on Boss Tone Studio if you have one of their amps. 

There are settings for rate, depth and 20 different patterns. 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    If you're comfortable with using the toneprint software, tc's new pipeline tremolo looks a good bet.
    I posted that and completely forgot about it, I'm sure in the blurb it says it can do a slicer type tremolo. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    I'm not sure if it's trem or on/off I want - I'm trying to find an example on random you tube clips of the style of the effect, I did think in my head a trem may do this, but non of my trems would do it,
    Sporky said:
    ZVex SeekTrem too.

Are you basically after a pseudo-random tremolo type thing?
    I'm not sure, I don't I want it "random" more set the pace of the on off/throb and it keep that pace while the effect is on.
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6021
    Suhr Jack Rabbit Tremolo? There's one in the classifieds I think. though I can't recall how much adjustment you have with the attack. As already mentioned, the Boss Slicer will do what you are after (inc. ramp in).
  • juansolojuansolo Frets: 1773
    I can make you a trem that can do that.
    juansolo said:
    quite interested in that, need to make sure we get this right before you build don't want to waste your time and my money $$$

• VJIvesVJIves Frets: 466
    I wish the Slicer was half the size, it's so good but it's just massive.
    VJIves said:
    I wish the Slicer was half the size, it's so good but it's just massive.
    quite a price on it too for just a stutter effect, (I appreciate it does a LOT more than that)
  • VJIvesVJIves Frets: 466
    To be honest you can pick them up used for £90 - £100 if you're prepared to look around. It doesn't make it any smaller though!
  • kjdowdkjdowd Frets: 852
    Magnetic effects electrochop. None finer. 
  • juansolojuansolo Frets: 1773
    edited June 2017
    darcym said:
    juansolo said:
    quite interested in that, need to make sure we get this right before you build don't want to waste your time and my money $$$

Already have a modded version of the Shoot the Moon 2 trem (based on the Tremulous Lune). Mods make give the speed control more range, and also allow it to go super choppy. However it's not Stuttertrem/Vox Repeater ultra on/off choppy (quite percussive). But it can get pretty close. Usual controls but it also has a shape knob that can go square or can smooth it out if that's what you're wanting to do. It's covers a lot of ground.
  • I'm interested that 'stutter' gets interpreted here as 'extreme tremolo', whereas to me stutter is more like a form of delay effect. Maybe I just watched too much Max H-h-h-headroom when I was younger. In fact when I needed a stutter effect (to vaguely cover for Jonny Greenwood's Max/MSP stutter patch) I did it with the Trigger Hold Delay effect of a Zoom MS-50G.

To me this is a stutter in that it takes the note you play and r-r-repeats it. Whereas a tremolo chops up your signal as you continue to play. I'm not sure this actually provides a solution for the OP, but it is an alternative way of looking at the problem.
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553

Are you not just describing a square wave tremolo? I seem to remember my Tremulator used to do something like this?