Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Kemp Guitars *2017-2018* Build Thread

What's Hot
xKempGuitarsxKempGuitars Frets: 183
edited February 2019 in Made in the UK

My first (2016) build thread was looking a little tatty so I've decided to start a new thread - which coincides nicely with the start of some new builds that will show a new direction for Kemp Guitars.

I won't give too much away now but all will become apparent as these two stock builds get underway.

Kemp Guitars - Custom Made Guitars for the Modern Rock & Metal Guitarist
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• xKempGuitarsxKempGuitars Frets: 183
    edited January 2019

Some crude mock-ups for the next two builds - both will have Sapele bodies, Wenge/Dark Birch (inverted) necks, Wenge fretboards, 25.5"-26.5" multiscale/half-fanned, Gotoh hardware and EMG 81 pups. Finish will be matte PU.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited January 2019

Fanned fret DC and SS underway... Looking a bit dull at the moment

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27345
    That Dark Birch looks interesting.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    edited January 2019
    TTony said:
    That Dark Birch looks interesting.

Something different to use. It's got an odd colour, bronze-like, but when it's wiped over with spirits or water it turns a deep orange-red colour. The smell when machining it is fantastic too - smells sweet, like sugary coffee or syrup.

It looks like it could be Black Walnut (grain, etc) and it's about the same hardness/density and weight, but I would only use it laminated until I knew more about it. I've not come across it before, and it's not an easy one to get hold of over here. There's a couple of small pieces on eBay and barely anything about the stuff in general on Google. This'll probably be a one-off.

edited January 2019

Further progress on the latest DC and SS (formerly referred to as the "Dinky-style") builds. The bodies are now ready for finish/fine sanding...

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited January 2019

Nearly forgot; going back to those SS colour mock-ups I recently posted. I had decided to go with the yellow, but whilst messing around with the images I came up with this orange which I'm quite drawn towards. Thoughts - yellow or orange?

• webrthomsonwebrthomson Frets: 1029

Something like this appeal to anyone? These are rough mock-ups for the next two builds - one Dinky style archtop (colour undecided) and the Kiwi Green DC. Both will be Sapele bodies, Wenge/Dark Birch (inverted) necks, Wenge fretboards, 25.5"-26.5" multiscale/half-fanned, Gotoh hardware and EMG 81 pups. Finish will be matte PU.

I like the green meanie - how much adjustment does the fan fret take - I've seen but never played one?
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 9984
    tFB Trader

Slanted pickups for fan fret instruments, in this case 14% slant 7 string 'Masterwound' Blackbirds designed by us for Carillion Guitars ...
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16546
    I have always preferred to go with normal pickups, i think of it as being like the bridge slant on a strat.   although its worth noting that the kemp ones above has a fan starting from the bridge so a single straight pickup looks fine.    I have always had the fan starting from somewhere between 12th fret and nut which obviously gives more slant on the bridge end

tFB Trader
    WezV said:
    I have always preferred to go with normal pickups, i think of it as being like the bridge slant on a strat.   although its worth noting that the kemp ones above has a fan starting from the bridge so a single straight pickup looks fine.    I have always had the fan starting from somewhere between 12th fret and nut which obviously gives more slant on the bridge end

Nice to see my Masterwound  Havoc in there again Wez ... always thought it really suited the look of that guitar.
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

it sounds bloody awesome in it too.
    tFB Trader

Something like this appeal to anyone? These are rough mock-ups for the next two builds - one Dinky style archtop (colour undecided) and the Kiwi Green DC. Both will be Sapele bodies, Wenge/Dark Birch (inverted) necks, Wenge fretboards, 25.5"-26.5" multiscale/half-fanned, Gotoh hardware and EMG 81 pups. Finish will be matte PU.

I like the green meanie - how much adjustment does the fan fret take - I've seen but never played one?
    I love this sort of stripped out look ... 

edited February 2019

[PIC REMOVED]

Hello Sir - that's my favourite at the moment too. Sealed both builds today so I should be shooting primer before the weekend and top coats next week

The fanned frets, despite appearance, don't take long to get adjusted to, even with the bigger scale length differences, such as 25.5"-28", and full fan (neutral fret around 7th to 9th, or even 12th fret). I decided to adopt the "half fan" because I feel it offers the same benefits but looks less daunting and, therefore, might encourage more players to try out multiscale... I can also fit any standard bridge, unlike full fan builds that have very limited options.

Slanted pickups for fan fret instruments, in this case 14% slant 7 string 'Masterwound' Blackbirds designed by us for Carillion Guitars ...
    Do you do other angles? I've used BKPs (limited to 12 degree) and I've had Lundgren make me an M8 with a 25 degree angle. But if I the need came for angled pups then I'd like someone UK based that can make them for me 
    edited February 2019
     WezV said:

[PIC REMOVED]

Nice build. I think it works looks-wise (non-angled pup)

tFB Trader
     WezV said:

Nice build. I think it works looks-wise (non-angled pup) =)

The Havoc pickup was designed for guitars like this, it's a balls to the wall metal pickup with triple magnets and a 16k DCR, but with over height bobbins, so it retains all the high end harmonics and splits to be like a true single coil ... like two 8k strat pickups in the same unit. Sorry ... I'm very into what I do :-)

WezV said:

The Havoc pickup was designed for guitars like this, it's a balls to the wall metal pickup with triple magnets and a 16k DCR, but with over height bobbins, so it retains all the high end harmonics and splits to be like a true single coil ... like two 8k strat pickups in the same unit. Sorry ... I'm very into what I do :-)

No, that's good to know. I did consider Oil City pups on a recent(ish) build. I will have to find out more and perhaps try out some of your products - including the Havoc by the sounds of it. It's getting late and I need some sleep so I'll take a look through your site tomorrow and start thinking about pups for my next stock build. Initial thoughts were something along the lines of the SD Distortion... Or maybe I'll just try out The Havoc =)

I put a push/pull in the volume control too.  The split sound is one of the best I have had, and I have tried a lot.  I was really happy when Ash said he could do a double white one too.
    Oh, and apologies for posting one of mine in your thread.  I thought it showed a slightly different approach to a similar style of guitar.

i sometimes have people say they have tried fanned frets and it wasn't for them... but often they don't remember what scale lengths it used of where the fan started from.  There probably is a fan that would work for them.
    WezV said:
    Oh, and apologies for posting one of mine in your thread.  I thought it showed a slightly different approach to a similar style of guitar.

i sometimes have people say they have tried fanned frets and it wasn't for them... but often they don't remember what scale lengths it used of where the fan started from.  There probably is a fan that would work for them.

No, I'm glad you did. Like you said, it's a different approach and works with both the full fan and, what I like to call the half fan that I'm doing. Thanks Wez
    tFB Trader
     WezV said:

No, that's good to know. I did consider Oil City pups on a recent(ish) build. I will have to find out more and perhaps try out some of your products - including the Havoc by the sounds of it. It's getting late and I need some sleep so I'll take a look through your site tomorrow and start thinking about pups for my next stock build. Initial thoughts were something along the lines of the SD Distortion... Or maybe I'll just try out The Havoc =)

I also develop pickups specifically for and with builders as I did with Blackmachine. I can always cut you a deal m'boy ;-)