Comments

• JotaJota Frets: 463
    Check the TC Spark Booster.
    In reality, it's an overdrive pedal with the option of being a straight clean boost.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16013
    Undoubtedly the Soul Food especially a modded one (there are plenty about ) biggest bang for buck by miles .......in my opinion its as good as pedals costing twenty times as much (we know which one )
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11413
    OCD on 18V - very amp like and cleans up brilliantly just depending on how hard you pick.  Alternatively, I've got a Thorpy Peacekeeper that isn't on my board that I might consider selling.
  • ExorcistExorcist Frets: 604
    another vote for bad monkey. Cheap but not cheap sounding. Its seen off a lot of more expensive pedals for me.
  • AlvinAlvin Frets: 412
    TC Mojomojo  on it's own a great range of drive and  stacks very well. Often my last pedal and can use it as a volume/level controller .    Doesn't look or sound like a £40.00 pedal . 
      I'm actually tempted to try the badmonkey to see if there is any similarity .

• AlvinAlvin Frets: 412
    From what the op has said i would say an OCD would be to harsh (top pedal though) and a Rat to fizzy .

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14034
    tFB Trader
    Gassage said:
    For those amps, you want a Rangemaster style treble boost.

Wouldn't that be better with the amp breaking up already? Might work with his little Fender but for home use the AC30 will never get in the zone. 
    agreed - great when the mp is on the edge and the boost gives it that bit extra - but with the amp at lower level you need something that provides its own level of gain - hence for me the ProCo Rat
  • streethawkstreethawk Frets: 1631
    Wampler Black 65 is good for a champ at home volumes. Sweet Honey, or clone (joyo do one for peanuts) worth a shout.
  • kt66kt66 Frets: 315
    edited January 2018
    Gassage said:
    For those amps, you want a Rangemaster style treble boost.

I have an AC30TB ie Top Boost, believe me it's the last thing I need, I more than have that covered, but thanks 

• Another vote for Bad Monkey. Love mine as it's great with my Marshall JVM
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26753
    I’ve never liked the badMonkey, but for tubescreamer-themed OD I love my Ninevolt Surfing Bear
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Spark Booster - full size, not mini - is a good call. Three good sounding modes.

Wampler 65 is fantastic but might be over budget? Sounds great with Fenders, but I have never tried it with a Vox. It gives you that low end Fender 'thump' combined with really crisp highs - works best at lowish gain. 

One to avoid with the Vox is the Boss BD2. Good pedal but just doesn't work with Vox
  • JD50JD50 Frets: 651

I believe the Crowther Hot Cake was designed with an AC30 in mind.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I have a Bad Monkey and a Nobles. Both are great - you get more control out of the bad monkey because of two tone controls, low and high. 

The drive/gain on the Nobles sounds better but is 4 times the price! It's a bit more natural sounding in my opinion!

I still use the Bad Monkey loads though. Not a bad pedal at all. For the price of them, I've considered buying another incase mine dies!
  • Snouse Black Box 2 is a great low-mid gain drive IMO.

The RRP is out of budget, but Snouse have fairly regular $99 sales and the pedal does occasionally show up on the second hand market.
    Trading feedback | FS: Nothing right now
    JM build | Pedalboard plans
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    edited January 2018
    My all time favourite overdrive was my Monty Allums modded SD1 that got stolen 2 years ago. It had less gain and a lovely warm midrange that worked great stacked on another pedal or a overdriven amp.

I've tried the Nobels and I’d also say check out the TC MojoMojo. They were originally priced at about £90 when they came out, but people didn't buy them. So the next minute it's the n the Boss SD1 kinda range. But I love mine. 

If if you go used. The J Rocket Archer is a good pedal, although I found it a little noisy.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7329
    edited January 2018
    @kt66 - - your head must be spinning with all these 'suggestions'...

So, here's a left-field for you - go onto Alirepress and find the cheapest one listed and go for a gamble. £15 tops should do it. Then without any expectations or pre-prejudice, see what happens...!
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

The drive/gain on the Nobles sounds better but is 4 times the price! It's a bit more natural sounding in my opinion!

I still use the Bad Monkey loads though. Not a bad pedal at all. For the price of them, I've considered buying another incase mine dies!
    Bloody hell, I just checked the price of the Nobels to refute your claim, and they've more than doubled in three years!

I paid £38 at the beginning of 2015, and they were pretty much that price everywhere!

I too have a couple of Bad Monkeys, in fact they worked better with a Roland JC than any other drive pedal I own, regardless of price. 
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    I'm surprised it took this far to get to this.
    JD50 said:

I believe the Crowther Hot Cake was designed with an AC30 in mind. 

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26753
    57Deluxe said:
    @stickyfiddle - - your head must be spinning with all these 'suggestions'...

So, here's a left-field for you - go onto Alirepress and find the cheapest one listed and go for a gamble. £15 tops should do it. Then without any expectations or pre-prejudice, see what happens...!
    I'm not the OP :P 

Thankfully I'm a huge pedal nerd so have already either owned or dimissed almost everything here. 

FWIW I don't like the Rockett Archer - it's too raspy. And despite loving the Hotcake with my old Laney VC15 I don't like it at all into my Badcat
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires