Alternate ..sweep ..legato ect..

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    Alternate, I suppose. Depends on the sound/line I want. I also use legato/tapping to make things easier/faster/possible.
    bingefeller said:
    You should figure out one movement and stick with it.  Based on this clip I would reckon downward pick slanting would be the way to go.
    @bingefeller Interesting. I'd think one would need to tailor the approach to the vocabulary?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DLM said:
    Alternate, I suppose. Depends on the sound/line I want. I also use legato/tapping to make things easier/faster/possible.
    bingefeller said:
    You should figure out one movement and stick with it.  Based on this clip I would reckon downward pick slanting would be the way to go.
    @bingefeller Interesting. I'd think one would need to tailor the approach to the vocabulary?
    Yeah, sure you would tailor the approach.  Once you have this down the possibilities are endless.
  • BarneyBarney Frets: 614
    DLM said:
    bingefeller said:

Yeah at the end of the day it does depend on the sound your looking for ...but was really meaning the most economical way so we can do what we like ...it's good to mix and match I think but sometimes particular phrases lend themselves to certain picking patterns..so we are locking ourselves into stylewise things instead of what we actually want to play....not sure off that makes sense :)
    edited January 2018

Surely the most economic/easiest/fastest way of playing any line will depend on the line?

As an example: I've done a bit of experimentation with Syrek/Münzner inspired limitations (Buckethead and Beach do close proximity tapping stuff too, but are not physically impaired). Some of the 3nps patterns you'll never get as fast with just your fretting hand, picked or HO/PO. You can alternate between hands faster than between fingers.

But then, the easiest way might not sound best, which is where I think you're coming from: it's good to practice the hard stuff too, to have a broader range of colours! 

Sorta related, this Instagram post:

Caption: "benellerguitarsWhen you've invested all of your time into working on your sweeps but you fucking suck at everything else. "

lol

We've all seen that guy!

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    DLM said:j

Surely the most economic/easiest/fastest way of playing any line will depend 

But then, the easiest way might not sound best, which is where I think you're coming from: it's good to practice the hard stuff too, to have a broader range of colours! 

Yeah that's sort of what I was meaning..the most economical ways are fine in isolation cos you can find the easiest way to play that line ..but probably harder to negotiate things mid solo ..especially iff you decide your gonna add some notes in or take some out ...maybe when going into the line it falls on a down stoke and it needed to be a up to use the economy picking for example ...and this is forgetting about the sound you would like to achieve ...

When I think of alternate it will work which ever way we are going ...on any idea that comes at any given moment ...the ideal situation is probably to learn them all very well :)

I've read all Shaun Baxter's GT columns over the years, and he reckons if you do enough economy picking exercises, it becomes so ingrained that what you describe isn't a problem.

But: Martin Goulding was initially a Baxter acolyte, and later discovered the wonders of the sound of pure alternate picking.

• stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2176
    edited January 2018
    I find alternate picking and hybrid picking (perhaps with the occasional hammer on or pull off) is best for syncopated funky picking, swing rhythms etc, where the notes are of uneven length. Whenever I play legato or sweep picking, the notes end up being of pretty even length.

Can anyone do syncopated and swing rhythms with legato or sweep picking? That's a cue for someone to post some clips, if they can find any

It's not a competition.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I find alternate picking and hybrid picking (perhaps with the occasional hammer on or pull off) is best for syncopated funky picking, swing rhythms etc, where the notes are of uneven length. Whenever I play legato or sweep picking, the notes end up being of pretty even length.

Can anyone do syncopated and swing rhythms with legato or sweep picking? That's a cue for someone to post some clips, if they can find any

How many strings are you sweeping across?  Sweeping does tend to make the notes of uneven length:

If you listen to the slowed down version you can tell that not all of his notes are of the same length.  I tend to think of sweeping as you know what chunk of notes you're going to hit on a certain beat and you know what note you're going to land on on the next beat so that's all you have to worry about.  Just let the rhythm take care of itself. 

• I find alternate picking and hybrid picking (perhaps with the occasional hammer on or pull off) is best for syncopated funky picking, swing rhythms etc, where the notes are of uneven length. Whenever I play legato or sweep picking, the notes end up being of pretty even length.

How many strings are you sweeping across?  Sweeping does tend to make the notes of uneven length:

If you listen to the slowed down version you can tell that not all of his notes are of the same length.  I tend to think of sweeping as you know what chunk of notes you're going to hit on a certain beat and you know what note you're going to land on on the next beat so that's all you have to worry about.  Just let the rhythm take care of itself. 

Yes there's a swing feel (i.e. notes of uneven length) at the start of that. It's a bit difficult to tell whether he's alternate picking or economy picking during the section with uneven note lengths.

Monster player and, even though he's noted as a sweep and economy picker, he's an excellent alternate picker as well - I've got his Chopbulder Guitar Workout video.

It's not a competition.
    I find alternate picking and hybrid picking (perhaps with the occasional hammer on or pull off) is best for syncopated funky picking, swing rhythms etc, where the notes are of uneven length. Whenever I play legato or sweep picking, the notes end up being of pretty even length.

Yes there's a swing feel (i.e. notes of uneven length) at the start of that. It's a bit difficult to tell whether he's alternate picking or economy picking during the section with uneven note lengths.

Monster player and, even though he's noted as a sweep and economy picker, he's an excellent alternate picker as well - I've got his Chopbulder Guitar Workout video.

I think you need to be really good at alternate picking before doing economy...
    I don't think economy is good off you want to get that swing feel , alternate I think will always be much better but economy better for other things..
  • Axe2GrindAxe2Grind Frets: 5
    edited February 2018
    I mainly get around the fretboard with alternate picking and two hand tapping. I'll sometimes do the odd little sweep but of late I've been getting into a more mixed picking a couple of notes and ending it with hammering on the rest and also hammering on from nowhere too. Been watching a lot of Buckethead stuff so that's crept in a bit.