Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Winnie.

What's Hot
GassageGassage Frets: 30826
So, my beloved hound and baby girl appears to be very poorly.

I have no idea what is causing everything, but there's deffo a heart murmur, coughing, lethergy, tiredness, no appetite at all.

She's coming 13 now, and a month ago was running up mountains.

To say I'm worried is the understatement of the year. I am, bluntly, petrified.

Anyone else add to the symptoms/issues/ideas/thoughts?

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12314
    Firstly, sorry to hear she’s not well. We lost our Labrador to liver failure four months ago and still miss him every single day. People will tell you “it’s only a dog” but they become so much a part of your life. 

I take it you’ve taken her to the vet? It could be anything from a whole raft of potential problems: only scans, blood tests and examination will give you an answer. Hopefully it’s something that’s treatable. Good luck James and all the best to Winnie. 
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30826
    boogieman said:
    Firstly, sorry to hear she’s not well. We lost our Labrador to liver failure four months ago and still miss him every single day. People will tell you “it’s only a dog” but they become so much a part of your life. 

I take it you’ve taken her to the vet? It could be anything from a whole raft of potential problems: only scans, blood tests and examination will give you an answer. Hopefully it’s something that’s treatable. Good luck James and all the best to Winnie. 
    Yeah, that's when we detected the heart murmur. She won't eat a thing, not even freshly cooked chicken.

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12314
    A heart murmur on its own isn’t necessarily much cause to worry about. Our Mac had one all his life and it didn’t really bother him that much.

There has to be an underlying cause for her lack of appetite, that’s what needs investigation.
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1468
    edited February 2018
    boogieman said:

This sends me into a fit of rage if I hear people say this. 

sorry to hear about Winnie @Gassage sending positive vibes your way! 
  • gubblegubble Frets: 1737

Sorry to hear about this @gassage

We've had our dog less than a year and she's such a huge part of the family. I dread the thought of anything bad happening to her.

She's also called Winnie

• FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2377
    Bloody hell, this year sucks for poorly pets - had to have my 13 year old little man cat put down a couple of weeks ago :(

Hopefully it's nothing too serious - what did the vet suggest as next steps? Is she insured (Winnie, not the vet)?
  • Sorry to hear about this. We have a 5-year-old Cavachon who is looking at the possibility of various health problems in a few years or so, and yes they are pretty much daft humans who become part of the family.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
    FarleyUK said:
    Bloody hell, this year sucks for poorly pets - had to have my 13 year old little man cat put down a couple of weeks ago :(

Hopefully it's nothing too serious - what did the vet suggest as next steps? Is she insured (Winnie, not the vet)?
    Massively insured.

So, it's blood tests.

• My sympathies @Gassage. I know you'll do your best for her. My best wishes for you both.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27345
    Been there with ours, so I completely understand the pain.

A good vet will give good advice, and will also completely understand how important "a dog" can be to the life of their human. 

I still feel more pain from when one of ours came to her end (3 years ago) than I do when my father died (last summer).  

Hope the problem gets resolved and you and she have some more fun years ahead.
    :)
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    TTony said:
    I still feel more pain from when one of ours came to her end (3 years ago) than I do when my father died (last summer).  
    I haven't lost either but I suspect I'll feel the same way.

@gassage - sending you and Winnie warm wishes
    Thanks all. Apprc. She's my girl.

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Those symptoms sound like Pancreatitis - one of ours has it. Needs antibiotics and pain relief, and possibly liquid drip for a bit - but long term prognosis is manageable by foods - mostly cutting out fat. 
    Those symptoms sound like Pancreatitis - one of ours has it. Needs antibiotics and pain relief, and possibly liquid drip for a bit - but long term prognosis is manageable by foods - mostly cutting out fat. 
    Vomiting after eating too?

Gassage said:
    Vomiting after eating too?
    Yes. Vomiting after eating, sometimes shaking, and the squits all symptoms. The biggie is lethargy and weakness combined with tummy type issues. 
    Just googled it- precisely her symptoms.

Gassage said:
    The “coughing” is actually her trying to get her breath after either heaving or squits.

Blood test and ultrasound will diagnose it. It could be one of two types - Acute or Chronic. Chronic is an underlying condition and can become acute.

Basically it’s a swollen/poisoned pancreas which stops producing the stuff needed to digest food. A liquid drip and stomach rest will bring the swelling down, and if it is acute pancreatitis she’ll be on a diet of chicken and rice for a few months. 

Once over the acute bit, the long term prognosis is very good - it’s a diet change to cut out fat as that’s what aggravates it. If you are worried the vet isn’t getting it then suggest an ultrasound 
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6378
    Got to take my cat to the vet today too ... :(   Sneezing, squits, plus nasty scabs on back (again)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • andy1839andy1839 Frets: 2197
    I feel for you mate, I really do. I’ve been in the same position quite a few times and it never gets easier to see them get older. 

Gassage said:
    The “coughing” is actually her trying to get her breath after either heaving or squits.

Blood test and ultrasound will diagnose it. It could be one of two types - Acute or Chronic. Chronic is an underlying condition and can become acute.

Basically it’s a swollen/poisoned pancreas which stops producing the stuff needed to digest food. A liquid drip and stomach rest will bring the swelling down, and if it is acute pancreatitis she’ll be on a diet of chicken and rice for a few months. 

Once over the acute bit, the long term prognosis is very good - it’s a diet change to cut out fat as that’s what aggravates it. If you are worried the vet isn’t getting it then suggest an ultrasound 

one of our dogs has suffered with pancreatitis all his life, diet is a major factor in keeping it under control. 

This stuff is brilliant and has made a massive difference. 

http://m.zooplus.co.uk/shop/dogs/wet_dog_food/terra_canis

unfortunately for him it’s meant no treats but at least we still have him and his quality of life is as good as the other dogs. 

Wishing you and her her all the best. 
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24209
    Big hugs to Winnie!  Hope she gets better quickly.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.