Indulge me...

What's Hot

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16657
    I mainly want one for acoustic stuff... but it would come in handy for the LP I forgot to route for binding before the carve.  

One of those things I have just found ways round so far
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3288
    tFB Trader
    WezV said:
    I mainly want one for acoustic stuff... but it would come in handy for the LP I forgot to route for binding before the carve.  

One of those things I have just found ways round so far
    The best one I ever used was at college, the tutor had his friend who works at McLaren make one that's on an arm 

I used it on my acoustic and it was bloody fantastic 

My friend used the same jig as mine for his benedetto arch top build and that worked out well, it took him longer to get the courage up to do it, only 2 years work part time
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    GSPBASSES said:
    You can save a lot of money at Wealden tools on re-bate cutters.

https://www.wealdentool.com/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Small_Series_212.html
    Oh blimey!!!!! Now I’ve seen that I’m thinking it’s more than doable.

The body is a uniform thickness all the way round, I’m thinking, a rig to suspend my router and just run it round the body... 

someone talk me out of this!!!!
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7014
    tFB Trader
    GSPBASSES said:

I got the Stew Mac one, its not mine but it does live in my workshop, has done for about 10 years, most likely never been used for about 10 years. 
    I bought one about 10 years ago. I don't think I've ever used it either!
    Using the rebate cutter Graham linked to, any reason this couldn’t work?

http://a64.tinypic.com/1zf7j8i.jpg

edited February 2018
    poopot said:

It will for 90% of it.   

The binding in the cutaway is trickier if you want it to follow the carve.

you would still need to do the last bit by hand. Where it meets the neck

are you planing to do the neck too?  
  • NomadNomad Frets: 549

The "brick/lump of wood/ books etc" could do with some engineering refinement. Rigidity of the mounting of the router is rather important.

Nomad
    Nobody loves me but my mother... and she could be jivin' too...

WezV said:

It will for 90% of it.   

The binding in the cutaway is trickier if you want it to follow the carve.

you would still need to do the last bit by hand. Where it meets the neck

are you planing to do the neck too?  
    Just thinking feasibility at the moment... it’ll probably never get done... that said, if I did the neck I guess I’d learn about refretting etc.

Nomad said:

The "brick/lump of wood/ books etc" could do with some engineering refinement. Rigidity of the mounting of the router is rather important.

Was thinking further on this. My router has a removable fence which is mounted to the router base with two rods... these could easily be clamped to something substantial... 
  • NomadNomad Frets: 549
    poopot said:

Was thinking further on this. My router has a removable fence which is mounted to the router base with two rods... these could easily be clamped to something substantial... 

That might work, but check carefully for any play or wobble - the rods aren't a snug fit in the holes like dowels are in precision engineering. If there's wobble, you could get chatter or vibration, which would affect the quality of the cut.

Another thing to check is the distance from the back of the body to the edge at the front that you'd be cutting into. If that changes as you go around the outline, the binding channel will have a changing height with respect to the top of the guitar. The router binding jig in the video above floats up and down to follow the height change in the guitar body.

Nomad
    Nobody loves me but my mother... and she could be jivin' too...

• SporkySporky Frets: 28030
    poopot said:
    GSPBASSES said:
    You can save a lot of money at Wealden tools on re-bate cutters.

https://www.wealdentool.com/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Small_Series_212.html
    Oh blimey!!!!! Now I’ve seen that I’m thinking it’s more than doable.
    I can also vouch for the Wealden cutters - they're pretty much the only ones I buy any more. I have some older CMTs that are OK, and a couple of Infinity Tools ones, everything else I've tried hasn't been up to the Wealden standard, and most are more expensive.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2339
    tFB Trader
    poopot said:

I think you will need something more substantial than your drawing suggests, see the photos below. That's my overhead router rig, you can see by the size of the steel I've used to make it strong enough to support a router so it can cut very accurately. Any sort of movement when machining not only will it give you an inaccurate cut, there is always a possibility that the cutter will snatch and cause all sorts of problems, like ripping the guitar out your hand and throwing it across the workshop.

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/

GSPBASSES said:
    poopot said:

I think you will need something more substantial than your drawing suggests, see the photos below. That's my overhead router rig, you can see by the size of the steel I've used to make it strong enough to support a router so it can cut very accurately. Any sort of movement when machining not only will it give you an inaccurate cut, there is always a possibility that the cutter will snatch and cause all sorts of problems, like ripping the guitar out your hand and throwing it across the workshop.

I think you’ve just talked me out of that idea! :)
  • Sham61Sham61 Frets: 26
    I also vouch for Wealden. I have quite a few of their cutters, bought others but always go back to Wealden. A good range and top quality.
    Here's one a customer of mine did. I think he did a decent job of his Les Paul Studio :)

He posted the project on Gretsch Pages (I think) but I can't find the thread.
    Found it!... took a while tho’

http://www.mylespaul.com/threads/56-goldtop-from-les-paul-studio-conversion-project.385960/
    I just did my sycamore LP with the crappy dremel attachment as I forgot to add the channel before the carve.

reasonable results this time but I still hate it
    WezV said:
    I just did my sycamore LP with the crappy dremel attachment as I forgot to add the channel before the carve.

Any pics?
    poopot said:
    WezV said:

Any pics?
    There will be later
    @WezV  having seen the thread on the lp forum, coupled with the fact the Mrs is leaving for Miami in the morning I am so tempted just to crack on with it... 

poopot said:
    Here's one a customer of mine did. I think he did a decent job of his Les Paul Studio :)

http://www.mylespaul.com/threads/56-goldtop-from-les-paul-studio-conversion-project.385960/
    Yep, that shows exactly how involved it is
    WezV said:

poopot said:

Yep, that shows exactly how involved it is
    Will sleep on it... but... watch out for an “I’ve reduced a perfectly good guitar to dust” thread soon!...