TC G System: if they are so bad, why do I keep seeing pro’s use them?

What's Hot
jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
The TC G System gets slagged off as an FX unit, but I’m watching the new Robert Plant DVD and Skin Tyson is using one. The other night I was watching a Porcupine Tree DVD and Steven Wilson was using one. So if they are really that bad, how come they’ve hoodwinked so many players into using them? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    My guess is those Pro's don't read guitar forums.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10645
    They’re good in the loop only. Not great if you attempt to use 4cm with dirt pedals through the G-system’s input section. Just put the G in the loop and dirt pedals before the amp and it’s beautiful. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    I think Kirk Hammet used to lean on one of these units heavily?
     @Maynehead ?
  • jeztone2 said:

The other night I was watching a Porcupine Tree DVD and Steven Wilson was using one.
    ...back in 2013. Here's something a bit more recent:

The thing is, the G-system was decent enough at the time, but it's pretty poor by modern standards. There's the switching gap/lag, and the lack of spillover between presets; those things alone rule it out for me before even going near the sound quality. The delays and reverbs don't even have half the capability of the Flashback and the HoF.

TC should really be developing a replacement for it using the Toneprint pedal engines, which are far more capable than their older tech.
    <space for hire>
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    Thanks for that @digitalscream  I’ve been thinking about one. But I suspect size wise the Boss Ms3 chained up to a Line6 M5 will do all I need. 
  • I was thinking Big Country but that turns out to be the tc Nova. 

Well, I think some pros just like what they are used to and aren’t interested in keeping up to date. Some others will use stuff that might be regarded as old, odd or cheap but they like what they do as part of a bigger picture. For example Stevie Young has a Mooer boost in his AC/DC rig and Pete Thorn uses one of those budget tc fuzzes. Justin Derrico, IIRC, has a Line 6 in his huge rig because it does one thing he likes. These aren’t even pedals that actually get stomped on so reliability isn’t a big issue. Quick google suggests that Skin Tyson only uses a few favourite effects on his G System, he doesn’t need it to be all singing and dancing. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • jeztone2 said:

The other night I was watching a Porcupine Tree DVD and Steven Wilson was using one.
    ...back in 2013. Here's something a bit more recent:

The thing is, the G-system was decent enough at the time, but it's pretty poor by modern standards. There's the switching gap/lag, and the lack of spillover between presets; those things alone rule it out for me before even going near the sound quality. The delays and reverbs don't even have half the capability of the Flashback and the HoF.

TC should really be developing a replacement for it using the Toneprint pedal engines, which are far more capable than their older tech.
    The effects on the g system are miles better than the tone print stuff imo
  • It's almost as if pros don't give a shit about what we think ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • AlvinAlvin Frets: 412
    The G System's sounds are top quality (or were at at the time) , most people won't argue that .
        The problem was setting them up . the manual was useless and the whole layout just wasn't intuitive .  I spent two weeks and wasted many hours trying to fathom it out and sold it on quick .    You shouldn't have to waste so much time trying to learn how to programme something .     There is an aftermarket manual on the net that is supposedly much improved .   Tc haven't made these for years there's just new/old stock out there .

The pro's probably get some nasa boffin to set them up and aren't brave enough to meddle themselves .
  • jeztone2 said:
    The TC G System gets slagged off as an FX unit, but I’m watching the new Robert Plant DVD and Skin Tyson is using one. The other night I was watching a Porcupine Tree DVD and Steven Wilson was using one. So if they are really that bad, how come they’ve hoodwinked so many players into using them? 
    The same way Skin Tyson contributed to the hoodwinking of people into believing that Cast were a good band. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BGGBGG Frets: 688
    Loved mine in the loop of my Cornford MK50, I prefer to get my drive from an amp so it was spot on.
    #thebatesmotelband
  • BarneyBarney Frets: 614
    edited February 2018
    I love mine ...great sounds and it switches my amp ..I don't have to worry about it being stood on either ...not sure how I connected it now cos it's in a flight case but basically 3 leads from the G system ...2 in the amp loop and one in the front ...then my lead into the brain of the G system ...I can add stomp box Fx and switch them in and out using the G system ....might be better things out now but if never felt the need to look ...also I think it's better off you get the usb cable and leave the brain in a rack 
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    Alnico said:
     @Maynehead ?
    Yep, in fact both Kirk and James have used them for a long time. They started off with the G Major, then upgraded to the G Major II, before going down the Axe-Fx route.

I remember their tech talking about the reasons they use them, and not once did they mention anything about their tone and how they compare to pedals etc. The major reasons cited were:

*ease of use - easy to dial in the settings
    *consistency - they can be sure that the same settings sound the same on all their rigs around the world
    *ability to export and import settings - they just need to change the settings once on one unit and then export to all other units.
    *all in one - they can get all the tones they need from one unit

I guess when it gets to the pro tour level, small differences in tone drops pretty low down in the priorities list...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2744
    I loved mine - gigged one for years.    Busy like a tank and sounded fine to me in whatever way I used it.     I hated programming it though. 
    Maynehead said:
    Alnico said:
     @Maynehead ?
    Yep, in fact both Kirk and James have used them for a long time. They started off with the G Major, then upgraded to the G Major II, before going down the Axe-Fx route.

I remember their tech talking about the reasons they use them, and not once did they mention anything about their tone and how they compare to pedals etc. The major reasons cited were:

*ease of use - easy to dial in the settings
    *consistency - they can be sure that the same settings sound the same on all their rigs around the world
    *ability to export and import settings - they just need to change the settings once on one unit and then export to all other units.
    *all in one - they can get all the tones they need from one unit

I guess when it gets to the pro tour level, small differences in tone drops pretty low down in the priorities list...

Thanks man, that's really interesting.
  • AlvinAlvin Frets: 412
    @jeztone2 ; Did you ever try or get one of these , be interesting to know what you thought if you did ?
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3301
    edited June 2018
    jeztone2 said:
    Thanks for that @digitalscream  I’ve been thinking about one. But I suspect size wise the Boss Ms3 chained up to a Line6 M5 will do all I need. 
    @jeztone2 Hiya Jez,

Or the Line6 HX, which means if you like the effects in your M5, chances are, most of them are in there as part of the Legacy FX range, as well as many others and also modelled, famous makes. It's much smaller than the G System smaller and has great routing options. Amp relays and MIDI plus you can plumb in your own favourite pedals and it can act as a command centre.

£430 new.

Take a look here if you're interested and haven't read this
    http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/123008/line-6-helix-type-effects-unit-leaked#latest

• jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    edited June 2018
    Alvin said:
    @jeztone2 ;; Did you ever try or get one of these , be interesting to know what you thought if you did ?
    Hello @Alvin & @Kebabkid ;

i ended up up with the Boss MS3. I did think about th HX fx, but I didn't like the two rows of three layout. But I may get a Helix LT at some point. 
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3301
    edited June 2018
    jeztone2 said:
    Alvin said:
    @jeztone2 ;;; Did you ever try or get one of these , be interesting to know what you thought if you did ?
    Hello @Alvin & @Kebabkid ;;

i ended up up with the Boss MS3. I did think about th HX fx, but I didn't like the two rows of three layout. But I may get a Helix LT at some point. 
    If it's specifically the 2 rows and size, understood, but if it's their spacing and accessibility, you do realise that regardless of how you set your chain up in the HX, you can have the pedals in any order on the board for sheer ease i.e your most used pedal as No/1.

The Boss MS-3 looks good as well.