Martin HD35?

What's Hot
RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13929
edited February 2018 in Acoustics
I have a real itch for a Martin HD35. Any HD35 owners around? How does an HD35 compare to a regular D28?

Also, what dealers would you recommend where I can try out a good selection of new Martins?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• LewyLewy Frets: 4126
    edited February 2018
    Former HD35 owner here. Whether or not it’s for you depends on what you want it for. Over time they tend to become really loose and flabby in the bass because of the very light bracing. Some people want that. It made it fairly unusable for me.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11414
    Prefer the HD28V with the forward shifted bracing.  There was one for sale in the classifieds last time I looked.
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5619
    I've owned an HD-28 and an HD-35. The 35 was cool as hell with the three-piece back and bound fingerboard but the 28 was a better sounding guitar.
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13929
    edited February 2018
    OK thanks, I need to try some out but going scalloped bracing HD over regular straight braced D is something I'm seriously considering, also need to hear the difference with the forward shifted bracing

OK thanks, I need to try some out but going scalloped bracing HD over regular straight braced D is something I'm seriously considering, 
    The thing with the HD 35 is it's not only scalloped but also it's 1/4" instead of normal 5/16ths so it's really very light. If someone had a light touch, or maybe favoured light strings then it could be ideal.
  • I haven't played one but my understand is the HD35 is a bit more "delicate" in the right hands, but can also be more bassy than  D28. 

FWIW I have an HD28 and it's a fantastic do-all acoustic.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    OK thanks, I need to try some out but going scalloped bracing HD over regular straight braced D is something I'm seriously considering, also need to hear the difference with the forward shifted bracing

For me the forward shifted bracing makes a bigger difference than the scalloping.  In my experience, the difference between an HD28V and an HD28 is much bigger than the difference between an HD28 and a D28.
  • crunchman said:

For me the forward shifted bracing makes a bigger difference than the scalloping.  In my experience, the difference between an HD28V and an HD28 is much bigger than the difference between an HD28 and a D28.
    Just to add to the confusion... recent HD28 guitars also have forward shifted bracing. (not just the HD28V)
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    Strat_a_tat_tat said:
    Just to add to the confusion... recent HD28 guitars also have forward shifted bracing. (not just the HD28V)
    And so do D28s as of late last year.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6378
    Swapped my HD35 for an OM35 - 'twas as Lewy described
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • mart said:
    Strat_a_tat_tat said:
    I see there is a new "reimagined standard" series for 2018, The reimagined HD28 has forward shifted scalloped bracing, so apart from the neck profile and bridge saddle I'm not really sure what the difference between the reimagined HD28 and HD28V?

mart said:
    Strat_a_tat_tat said:
    I see there is a new "reimagined standard" series for 2018, The reimagined HD28 has forward shifted scalloped bracing, so apart from the neck profile and bridge saddle I'm not really sure what the difference between the reimagined HD28 and HD28V?
    Very little.

The HD28V has (had anyway) a 1 11/16" nut width, which I prefer.  The new HD28 has 1 3/4". That seems to be the only significant difference.

Martin seem to be doing 1 3/4" on most guitars these days, which I don't like.  I much prefer 1 11/16".
    crunchman said:

Martin seem to be doing 1 3/4" on most guitars these days, which I don't like.  I much prefer 1 11/16".
    I know...for some reason it’s been fetishised as some sort of “upgrade”. Weird.
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5619
    Lewy said:
    crunchman said:

Yep, I find this weird as well.
  • crunchman said:
    mart said:
    Strat_a_tat_tat said:
    Very little.

The HD28V has (had anyway) a 1 11/16" nut width, which I prefer.  The new HD28 has 1 3/4". That seems to be the only significant difference.

I didn't know the Vintage series dreads have a slimmer nut than the OM/000 models. My OM has a 44.5mm nut and combined with the massive V shaped neck it's a bit of a handful, in retrospect I think I would have preferred 43mm / 1 11/16.
    @biglicks67 there are a couple of HD28Vs in the classifieds at the moment.
  • crunchman said:
    @biglicks67 there are a couple of HD28Vs in the classifieds at the moment.
    Yep, spotted them but no funds at the moment : <
  • Brize said:
    Lewy said:
    crunchman said:

Yep, I find this weird as well.
    I have found it quite difficult to find an acoustic with 1 11/16" nut and a 25.5" scale length that isn't a Dread.