You've Got The Love

What's Hot
Hello friends

Having an arguement  heated debate with a friend at work - we're playing 'Youve Got The Love' by Florence and the Machine, with the chords being G#m, F#, C#. Someone with more musical theory than me please enlighten me as to the key? I feel like it resolves on the C#, my colleague thinks it resolves on the F#. To me, C# sounds like the key I'd use to play over those changes. Interested either way! 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Just playing it to myself, if I was to solo, it would be in G#m. But I'm thick and don't know what I'm talking about. 

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1079
    edited February 2018
    G# minor for me as well. I imagine if I put a capo on the fourth fret and played Em, D and C my key would be Em. Or G major which is the relative major.
  • vizviz Frets: 10644
    edited March 2018
    Well it’s either in G# minor (actually Dorian) or C# Mixolydian. It’s really up to you because it’s another one of those highly ambiguous chord progressions that can close on the last chord of the bar or the first chord of the next one.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • EvoEvo Frets: 307
    I think I agree with Viz on mixolydian but wouldn’t it be C# mixolydian? Fitting in with the G# Dorian idea but resolving to the C#?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10644
    edited March 2018
    Evo said:
    I think I agree with Viz on mixolydian but wouldn’t it be C# mixolydian? Fitting in with the G# Dorian idea but resolving to the C#?
    yes sorry that’s what I meant!
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.