Cover Challenge #1 - Voting

What's Hot
flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1816
edited September 2018 in Making Music
This is the voting thread for the Cover Challenge #1

All the amazing entries can be found in the playlist:

https://m.soundcloud.com/thefretboard/sets/thefb-cover-challenge-1-i-think-were-alone-now

All that is required is to pick your top three and post them in the thread below.

Points are awarded as follows - 5 points for first place, 3 points for second place and 1 point for third place.

Entrants obviously aren't allowed to vote for themselves. Votes close at 11.30pm on Friday 7th September.

In the event of a tie for first place @TTony will be our head judge and have the casting vote. 

The entry with the most points gets to pick the next song to be covered. 

ALL ENTRANTS PLEASE HAVE YOUR IDEAS READY FOR THE NEXT CHALLENGE. YOU WILL HAVE ONLY 48HRS AFTER VOTING CLOSES TO MESSAGE ME WITH YOUR SONG CHOICE. IF YOU FAIL TO DO SO THEN I'LL END UP CHOOSING IT FOR YOU! 

Good luck 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    Tbh... this is prolly the hardest competition to vote on... Not one bad entry... all so very different... honestly want to give every entry 5 points!!!!! Just look at the number of plays each song has got ffs!...

but....

5pts @sticker - ruined all the good work therapy has achieved :)
    3pts @flyingpie - first song my daughter requests in the car.
    1pt @enjo - very different and that swayed my vote.

absolutely stunned at the quality and variety of the entire playlist... even tweeted @tiffanytunes to see if she would vote!... (still no reply :) )

Top work chaps!... 

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27432
    Eleven entries
     :o 

I would vote, but I'm saved the tough choice by being appointed head-judge-tie-splitter!

Actually, that might be an even-tougher choice ...

BIG THANKS to @flying_pie and @poopot for running this challenge. 
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • IMC1980IMC1980 Frets: 145
    This is really hard, there should be more points to give out for this challenge! At this point, after just listening, my votes go to:

5 points - @Modellista - love the breaks into falsetto and the guitar harmonies
    3 points - @Bezzer - A glorious donkey punch of a metal cover
    1 point - @thecolourbox - Like it was tracked on a Commodore 64, the bleeps were a highlight for me.

Great work all round guys, I really enjoyed listening to everyone's efforts, but will also be quite happy if I never hear this song again.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1816
    edited September 2018
    What an amazing response with absolutely brilliant entries all round. So hard to choose but the point is purely to have someone pick the next song to be covered. My 3 are:

5 points @IMC1980 - I'm a sucker for a pop-punk cover. I love the energy and vocals. Good work fella

3 points @poopot - rape funk at its finest 

1 point @sticker - very good indeed. JC would approve 
  • enjoenjo Frets: 278
    edited September 2018
    Thank you again for organising this!
    Such brilliant and different entries from all. 

5 points - @Modellista I just really enjoyed listening to it!

3 points - @poopot hilarious but also brilliantly done, I loved the rhythm guitar. 

1 point - @sticker a great double cover.

(Thanks @poopot, you've made my day!) 
  • stickersticker Frets: 869
    Bloody hell this is hard but ... 

5 points @Teetonetal , loved the feel and the backing Vocals 
    3 points @Modellista  , falsetto and harmony guitars were brilliant! 
    1 point @flying_pie  , loved the Indie type vibe . 

Everyone should be be proud of themselves, there really were no duff entries and everyone had a different slant on the song and production. Top stuff guys , well done ! 
  • 5 points @stickler - really think this is excellent, moody, the vocal delivery fits the mood really well
    3 points @IMC1980 - Is there a big Slash / GnR influence here? Great solos, interesting vocal.
    1 points @Modellista - Just think it works nicely, the vocal works nicely against the music
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2758
    5 points Imc1980

3 points Buzzer

1 point  Poopot 

• VeganicVeganic Frets: 673
    5 points @flying_pie ;
    (Psychodelic Furs?)

3 points @IMC1980 ;
    (Closest to the Tiffany vibe?)

1 point @sticker ;
    (Turns it into a tale of two lovers with learning disabilities defying the infantalisation of society and making a break for it?)
  • Great entries. I need to learn to sing. A very difficult choice.

5 points @IMC1980 : Loads of energy and attitude. Just seems to work well overall.
    3 points @poopot : Highly creative and very disturbing. A sleazy funk feel. In fact sleazy throughout.
    1 point @Bezzer : A heavy take on things.

It's not a competition.
  • Great entries. I need to learn to sing. 

No need. Just make sure you win every challenge and keep picking instrumental numbers
  • BezzerBezzer Frets: 583
    I don't want to vote on this, it's not fair ... there are all great, at least 7 that would go on a regular playlist .. man it's a nightmare.
    I have to base this more on what I've been listening to lately than anything else, simply as that's what I'm tuned into.

5 points @IMC1980 ... vocals are too good, great production and so damned high energy.
    3 points @Modellista ... chorus kicked in and I beamed, and I don't know why ... so that had to go in for that reason alone.
    1 point @poopot ... I still don't know if I "like" this or not, but it made me feel dirty and if you're made to "feel" listening to music that I guess job done.

Very, very, very honourable mentions to @flying_pie , @stratman3142 , @thecolourbox ; and @sticker because all these tracks just lifted my mood.  And that's not easy at the moment!

What a brilliant challenge!

Oh and I need to thank @IMC1980 , "A glorious donkey punch" is the best review I've ever had :) 
  • I have to reiterate what's been said about the quality of these entries.  I've listened to the whole playlist several times, subjected friends to it, and all the comments have been positive.  I *really* wish I could give more points.

5 points @IMC1980 - this is the sound in my head I was going for myself.  The song lends itself well to this kind of treatment.  Brilliant energy, the playing throughout is awesome.

3 points @thecolourbox - could be an outtake from a Gorillaz album, very original!

1 point @poopot - this has got the thumbs up from a few friends, loving the sleazy vibe!

In another life I would have voted for @sticker, @Teetonetal and @Bezzer - enjoyed them a lot.

Thanks for running the challenge, anything that gets us all making music rather than just talking about it is well worth the effort.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited September 2018
    Well this challenge ended up costing more than I thought it would ... 

i had such good fun I decided to upgrade a few bits and pieces. 

https://i.imgur.com/MljW9GV.jpg

currently also considering upgrading to Logic Pro X from GarageBand.
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    sticker said:

Do it!... well worth the money for the producer drums alone!... can do so much more with as well! Seeing as you have nice new headphones download canz3d by midnight walrus...
    stickerAsticker said:

https://i.imgur.com/MljW9GV.jpg

Are they the m50x's? I did this cover challenge mainly with those, just used my monitors for checking stereo image and reverbs etc. 
    IMC1980 said:
    stickerAsticker said:

Are they the m50x's? I did this cover challenge mainly with those, just used my monitors for checking stereo image and reverbs etc. 
    Yes , they’re the M50x’s , my first pair of “decent “ closed back monitoring cans . 
    I’m very impressed on a first listen (re-mastered Queen) , amazing how you hear things that have always been there that you never noticed before so clearly ... 
    sticker said:
    IMC1980 said:
    stickerAsticker said:

Yes , they’re the M50x’s , my first pair of “decent “ closed back monitoring cans . 
    I’m very impressed on a first listen (re-mastered Queen) , amazing how you hear things that have always been there that you never noticed before so clearly ... 
    Great choice mate, had mine for nearly 3 years and I love them. My mixes improved loads after getting these as well. 
  • @DeeplyDazzled - you'll need to give a second and third place too for that to count ( and please do as it very much deserves to count)