When My Train Pulls In - Gary Clark Jr (my new cover)

Hi everyone!!

It's been a long time since I've been able to have time to sit down and record and play music, this weekend the opportunity arose so I got the guitar, bass, tappy-tappy controller and cameras out to craft a cover of When My Train Pulls In by the incredible Gary Clark Jr. 

I'd love to hear your feedback on the track, I'm hoping to get more active here on the forums now too :)

Youtube:
https://youtu.be/pHnJZWFsitw 

Soundcloud:
https://soundcloud.com/stephenbrennan/when-my-train-pulls-in-gary-clark-jr-cover

Cheers,
Ste 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2418
    Excellent stuff. Great vocals and nice playing.

A couple of constructive comments: The recording sounds slightly like the 'band' is in the room next door compared to the vocal. The guitar soloing is excellent but a little too busy for my taste. Others might well disagree.

Looking forward to you posting more :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks Jimbro!

Yeah I think I need to work on my mixing for sure - I might post it over on the Studio forum and see if anyone can give me a hand with that! You're probably right about the guitar solo too but it's not that often I get a chance to get the amp volume up nice and loud (that's when the silly stuff happens)

Cheers for the feedback :)
  • Hi very much enjoyed this it sounds great. 
    As already mentioned the mix and vocal balance need a few tweaks but the basic vocal sound very solid and pleasant.
    If you have only sung the song a few times I would look to do a few more vocal takes and maybe comp the best bits as there is a lot of nuanced emotion in the original that help carries the song. All that said all the basics are there and wish I had a voice that sounded that good. 

I had to go listen to a couple of versions of the original to remember how he handles the solo. yours certainly brings a little more direct energy as opposed to the sort of laconic style of Gary. 

As you already answered this that you can hear you were overplaying a lot of the solo parts something all of us tend to do when we get a bit of time to actually record and find a space in a track. I will say no more. 

But for all of that its a very strong interpretation of a great modern blues song and I loved it. 

• Cant add any more to the above - but wanted to say it's a great effort, I enjoyed it.
  • BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    Is that a push 1 you're using for drumming? How do you like the feel for drumming?
  • @Jez6345789 : That's incredible feedback, thanks so much for that! A lot of points I'll definitely take on board for the next song!

@Branshen ; - it is! It's not being used for Drums though - that's a clavi that is buried deep in the mix. For drums I was using EzDrummer2. As a Finger Drumming machine the Push 1 isn't ideal - I find the pads to be slightly unresponsive and the recorded velocity isn't always as consistent as I'd like. Furethermore the pads are a little too small. It's good for some simple electronic stuff or to get a rhythm down but I always find myself editing the beats afterwards. Don't get me wrong though, it's an awesome piece of kit - it's great to be able to have tactile control on Ableton and with the release of the Push 2 you can get Push 1 quite cheap. Ableton also have a huge amount of tutorials on their site for it.
  • @Moe_Zambeek ; glad you liked it :)
  • skikdi53skikdi53 Frets: 198
    Yes, excellent.
    Nice play and great vocal.
  • I haven't heard the original for ages but the solos seems a bit generic blues rock for a Gary Clark Jr song;  really well  played solos but maybe not 100% in the spirit of it. Yeh, mixing could be more spot on but it's fantastic stuff overall.  
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5827
    That's a big yes from me.