Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Finding stuff to write about

What's Hot

Comments

• thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9654
    edited November 2018
    It is the confidence thing, or at least a mental situation thing init, you're right. A silly topic on my behalf to be honest, once again!

I'm not really in a position to collaborate so I've no idea if that would help, though I suspect my rather passive personality which is causing my frustration would just cause me to completely back down and close up in a two person scenario as that's usually what's happened in the past when I've tried to join in with anything. 

Sorry, I should abandon this topic I think! Sorry all
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14321
    Sorry, I should abandon this topic I think!
    I disagree. When the going gets tough, it is time to increase one's efforts.
    Be seeing you.
  • kinkin Frets: 1015
    There was a very interesting interview with Ryan Adams on , i think, channel four , called "the great songwriters " or something like that.
    It showed him using A thesaurus/dictionary and books of sayings, just randomly opening them up, picking out a phrase here and there and getting inspiration from that. He called the process "stacks" i think.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Just write about wanting to have lots of sex as per almost every pop song ever recorded
  • Just write about wanting to have lots of sex as per almost every pop song ever recorded
    Oh I'm 100% sure my music is not what the sexy pop world needs ;)
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8481
    Sex doesn't have to be poppy.

Or even sexy.  ;)

=) 

• DannyPDannyP Frets: 1667
    Robyn Hitchcock has always been a favourite songwriter of mine. His album 'Robyn Hitchcock' from last year is fantastic.

There's a song called Sayonara Judge - the verses are lists of stuff he's losing:

Losing my face, losing my friends, losing my temper
    Losing my place on the map, losing my home
    Losing my January to December

etc.

He lifts is from being a straight list with the sort of surreal pathos that is his style - but plenty of songs start life as lists.

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14321
    Just write
    Just write whatever comes to mind WITHOUT immediately thinking up reasons to reject your efforts. 

Keep writing until the flow of ideas dries up.

Only edit or make corrections after the flow of ideas has dried up. Maybe, even, leave an interval between writing and revising.

On the music side, it is usually easier to fit chords to accompany a melody than the other way about. 

Be seeing you.
  • DannyP said:
    Robyn Hitchcock has always been a favourite songwriter of mine. His album 'Robyn Hitchcock' from last year is fantastic.

There's a song called Sayonara Judge - the verses are lists of stuff he's losing:

etc.

He lifts is from being a straight list with the sort of surreal pathos that is his style - but plenty of songs start life as lists.

Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol
    C C C C C COCAINE!
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DannyP said:

etc.

C C C C C COCAINE!
    Not do much into feel good music ;)
  • not even in the summer?
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • not even in the summer?
    Particularly not in the summer. Prefer to stay at Homme
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • you got to just go with the flow
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • Just joshing mate.

Anyway, I've been listening to Bright Eyes today (the band, not the Arty Garfunkel song) and it has motivated me to try harder and see what approaches above might get me somewhere near that
  • victorludorumvictorludorum Frets: 996
    edited November 2018
    Films, books and TV, that's where you can get a lot of ideas. For me it can come from the strangest places, but when there's a connection to something that you feel, a song can come almost instantly. We don't have to watch high art either: the idea for my song Ordinary Men came from the film Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, and it's not a song about conmen living on the cote d'Azur. There's a line in there that got me, and hey presto, out comes the lyric. It's not an original idea, but it's an idea, and that's all you need.
  • We have a song called Lt. Skytree's Bacon Soliloquy that is about a kick ass girl with a scythe travelling into space to claim a ceremonial title that was last held by a guy that exists in thousands of dimensions at once and is rumoured to have concentrated himself into existence, that guy went mad and started writing a book on the cured skin of other dudes that exist in multiple dimensions and that book is known facetiously as the Bacon Soliloquy. Anyway this guy went mad and vanished but the protagonist of the song has to claim the title in order to access the realm of the dead where she can bring back an alternate version of Eva who is the only person that can save the world*.

So if we can write a song about that pretentious story line...you should be able to write one about just about anything right?

*more details are available on our wiki...if you can find it.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • I think John Mayal told Peter Green to take the first line of a chorus to a song written by somebody else and use it as the first line of the first verse and see where it takes you.
  • I remember writing verses witth the rhyming scheme AABB and changed them to ABAB. Just to liven things up.
  • ShrewsShrews Frets: 2958
    Peter Kay has built an extremely successful comedy routine based around normal stuff people do.

So, I'm guessing that keeping it simple,  helps people to relate to the content.

What do you do at night when you get home? How do you feel about it? How do you see the world around you? Do you think you're in the minority? Etc, etc

• You can get away with the following approach once:

Buy a newspaper. 

Cut out the names of famous people who feature in it as well as partial sentences within the articles.

Randomly arrange names and phrases to make the verses.

Add a catchy chorus.

Sorted.

That worked a treat for REM and Billy Joel