Cover Challenge #3 - Voting Thread

flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1806
edited January 2019 in Making Music
This is the voting thread for the Cover Challenge #3

All the entries can be found in the playlist:

https://soundcloud.com/thefretboard/sets/cover-challenge-no3-sweet

All that is required is to pick your top three and post them in the thread below. 

Points are awarded as follows - 5 points for first place, 3 points for second place and 1 point for third place.

Entrants obviously aren't allowed to vote for themselves. Voting closes at 11.30pm on  Tuesday 7th January
In the event of a tie for first place one of the modmins will be our head judge and have the casting vote. 

The entry with the most points gets to pick the next song to be covered. 

ALL ENTRANTS PLEASE HAVE YOUR IDEAS READY FOR THE NEXT CHALLENGE. YOU WILL HAVE ONLY 48HRS AFTER VOTING CLOSES TO MESSAGE ME WITH YOUR SONG CHOICE. IF YOU FAIL TO DO SO THEN I'LL END UP CHOOSING IT FOR YOU! 

Good luck 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• 5 points @markv : You've captured something special there. I can't even work out why I like I so much. Set a great mood that held me throughout.

3 points @IMC1980 : Another rocker from you with great vocals.

Very hard to decide between the next two and I kept oscillating. Finally decided on 

1 point : @flying_pie : A good clever arrangement.

It's not a competition.
  • IMC1980IMC1980 Frets: 141
    5 points - @markv - love your guitars and the bassline on this track, it has a dreamy almost hallucinogenic quality. Great job!

3 points - @flying_pie - always enjoy your mashups, especially like the ending.

1 point - @stratman3142 - I have to say, it was very close between you and @Bezzer, but your orchestral arrangement edged it in the end, dense and satisfying to listen to.

Great efforts all round as usual guys! 
  • BezzerBezzer Frets: 581
    Another great selection of tracks chaps.  I really like hearing everyone's different takes on the songs each couple of months.

I'm going for …
    5 points - @markv - like the others have said, it just sort of speaks to me.  Feels very 80s in the right way, Flock of Seagulls, The Cure, something about those guitar sounds I love.

3 points - @IMC1980 - RAWWK, just great

1 point - @flying_pie - took me back to the early 90s at uni so nostalgia got me hard.

@stratman3142 - really nice arrangement just didn't speak to me as much as the other 3.  

Man I love these challenges, I just hate the voting part!!

• markvmarkv Frets: 459
    The depth of talent around here continues to amaze me - not just the guitar playing, but the singing, arrangement and recording. I enjoyed all of the tracks.

5 points @Bezzer - love the Pearl Jam take on it. So completely different from the original and yet it fits. 
    3 points @IMC1980 - seriously solid rock, brilliantly done. I wish I could sing like that.
    1 point @stratman3142 - wouldn't have expected an orchestral version at all, I liked the arrangement. Reminds me of something that I can't quite put my finger on. Moby perhaps?

Sorry @flying_pie, good stuff and a very imaginative arrangement, but the style didn't work as well for me, subjective I know (well, isn't it all)
  • flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1806
    This was difficult. Every entry would justify the top spot. I'll go with

5 points @markv ;- after the comments here I had high expectations and it didn't disappoint

3 points @Bezzer ;- excellent job at recreating a Pearl Jam vibe

1 point @IMC1980 ;- awesome as always. The same style as your other covers which could lead to the law of diminishing returns applying but why change when you do it so well...

Sorry @stratman3142 as you did a great job too but I generally tend to prefer vocals to instrumental.. Perhaps if you'd added some Il Divo vocals ...  On second thoughts it's better that you didn't as that would have been a step too far!
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9098
    Gutted uncle missed this one... hopefully back for the next ;)

top work again ladies... seriously good...

5 points @markv - great from start to finish.
    3 points @Bezzer - Eddie Cheddar all the way
    1 point @flying_pie - really like this.

@IMC1980 and @stratman3142 both deserve points tbh... excellent entries all round again... and not one banjo ;)

• flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1806
    Voting closed (was supposed to be last night but forgot and also put the wrong day in the thread...

But it doesn't really matter because the winner is clear and any other result would require an investigation due to the necessary flurry of late and suspicious voting