Production tips

What's Hot
AndyJPAndyJP Frets: 219
edited January 2019 in Making Music
Hi all

After some feedback on a track I've recorded. Any production feedback particularly welcome. I think it has too much bottom end.

Have spent some time following the recording revolution channel on you tube. Trying to improve at this lark :)

Ta
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2393
    I don't think that's too shabby at all, mix-wise. Agree there is probably too much bottom end on the kick drum, and the bass guitar is indistinct and too low in the mix.

For me the bigger problems are (a) that the drums occupy that awkward halfway house where the samples are convincing but the programming isn't, and (b) that the rhythm and lead guitar sounds are too similar, so you've had to make the lead guitar very loud to get it to sit on top of the rhythm guitars.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2073
    Nice mix, ..Agree the Bass is too low in the mix, do you have Wave Lo Air ?....that gretat for adding depth to Bass.

Rhythm guitars a nice...maybe I would take little mid out of those, and yes I would also do something with the lead riff to sit it in just right, personally I would add a bit of grit to it, and warm it up a bit, also add a very subtle delay.

Good Job !

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • AndyJPAndyJP Frets: 219
    Stuckfast said:
    I don't think that's too shabby at all, mix-wise. Agree there is probably too much bottom end on the kick drum, and the bass guitar is indistinct and too low in the mix.

For me the bigger problems are (a) that the drums occupy that awkward halfway house where the samples are convincing but the programming isn't, and (b) that the rhythm and lead guitar sounds are too similar, so you've had to make the lead guitar very loud to get it to sit on top of the rhythm guitars.
    Hey buddy, thx for having a listen. Ok try and equipment the kick and bring the bass up.

Yeah using EZ Drummer 2 for the kit. I find a pattern that's close and tweak it. It's kinda my only option at the mo. Good call on the guitar sounds. Will see what I can do.

Oh on the bass/kick balancing front I found this decent vid. Seems to make sense. Well worth a shot.

spark240 said:
    Nice mix, ..Agree the Bass is too low in the mix, do you have Wave Lo Air ?....that gretat for adding depth to Bass.

Rhythm guitars a nice...maybe I would take little mid out of those, and yes I would also do something with the lead riff to sit it in just right, personally I would add a bit of grit to it, and warm it up a bit, also add a very subtle delay.

Good Job !
    Will have a look at that plugin buddy. Cheers. Maybe it's on sale.

Will give those guitar tips a shot too. Thanks for listening and the tips :)
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2393
    If you're going to go with that kick drum sound, I think you'd want that to occupy the really low bass range on its own (say, 60Hz and below) and make the bass guitar sound stronger in the low mids (say, 100-400Hz) so they don't fight one another. That should also give you more definition on the bass.

The problem with the drums is that the pattern sounds OK for a couple of bars, but it doesn't really change or develop, so you quickly realise that it's a loop. Programming realistic drums is quite hard and takes a lot of work, even if you start from a good sounding pattern in the first place.

If it were me I'd have a bit less room sound on the drums too, but that's probably a matter of taste.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Thx man. That's super helpful. Will do some work on it over the weekend.

Will try and vary the beat too.
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2177
    edited January 2019
    I agree with what @Stuckfast said regarding the mix.

Just thought I'd say that (disregarding the volume/mix aspects), the actual rhythm and lead guitar tones and playing sound great. What are you using?

It's not a competition.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited January 2019
    Hey thanks for the compliment.  Using EZ a Kemper for the guitars. The profiles are Matchless SC30 for the rhythm and two rock custom reverb for the lead guitar.