Cover Challenge #4 - chat thread

What's Hot
Welcome to the fourth Fretboard Cover Challenge. The rules are simple - there are no rules*. 

We all start with the same song suggestion and record our own cover version. It's up to your imagination as to what you do with it. It could be faithful to the original or as out there as you wish. 

The idea is to share creativity and see how we end up with differing results from the exact same start point. Feel free to change key if needed for vocals. Feel free to go instrumental/spoken word/rap if singing isn't your thing. Feel free to share ideas in this thread or keep your hand close to your chest. Just have fun with it. 

The track to be covered has been chosen by the winner of the last challenge @markv ; and is... 

Drum roll...

THE EARTH DIES SCREAMING by UB40

Yes. That's what has been chosen. Now get those creative juices flowing and see what you can come up with. 

RULES:

Entries to be sent in mp3 format to the following Email address:

covers@thefretboard.co.uk

You may wish to submit artwork to go with your entry. It brightens up the playlist and might get you more votes but it's not mandatory. 

Entries close at 11.30pm on Thursday 28th February. Yes. It's that time of the year so it means a few days less than normal but still plenty of time.

Only one entry per participant. 

A playlist of all the entries will be posted in the Voting Thread and you will have approximately one week to vote. Vote for your top 3 with 5 points awarded  for first place, 3 points for second place and 1 point for third place. Entrants obviously aren't allowed to vote for their own entry. 

Unlike other challenges in the Cover Challenge the winner wins a prize - they get to choose the track to be covered for the next challenge. Please have ideas ready in advance as you will only have approximately 48hrs to PM your suggestion or The Management will decide for you. 

Good luck. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BezzerBezzer Frets: 581
    Well, that’s going to be .... interesting 
  • IMC1980IMC1980 Frets: 141
    I can guarantee that my drums will not be similar to the original...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1806
    Bezzer said:
    Yes. I think it will be... Interesting

I won't go with 170bpm skatepunk again as it would only last 20 seconds. Although that might not be a bad thing

It could end up a total car crash but I think I'm going to go full acapella for this one
  • markvmarkv Frets: 459
    Bezzer said:
    I hope so! I tried to choose something unusual. I have no idea what I'm going to do with it yet!

It's all a bit zombie apocalypse if you want to do that (it's supposedly based on the 1964 film of the same name), or you could interpret it another way.
    Keeping it short will almost certainly work in my favour.  Might have to go full Gerard Way on it.  Get my inner screamo on!

Or ... apply the old "What would John Carpenter do?" ...
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9098
    I haz intro at least... Technoskiffle 
  • Bezzer said:
    Or Karen
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    Bezzer said:
    Or Karen
    That's easy. Just don't bother eating for the duration of the contest...

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    mines as done as its gonna be!!!!!!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    poopot said:
    That's some swift covering skills!
  • markvmarkv Frets: 459
    poopot said:
    Blimey! I've got a few sketchy ideas - trying not to repeat myself from last time though.
    IMC1980 said:
    poopot said:
    didnt say it was any good :)
    IMC1980 said:
    poopot said:
    I'm wondering if @poopot has another account under the name @markv and has been secretly preparing for months....
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    IMC1980 said:
    poopot said:
    I'm wondering if @poopot has another account under the name @markv and has been secretly preparing for months....
    Damn...... found out   no :)
    Almost done. Will let my ears recalibrate before deciding if it needs any more vocal tracks than the current 13!
  • Sadly I might have to miss this one. We're having major work done on the house and having to pack up and squeeze into a small flat for a few weeks. An interesting new feature just appeared in our living room (pic below) which I take as a message that it's time to get out. I still haven't managed to convince my wife to have a go at pole dancing.

It's not a competition.
    Almost done. Will let my ears recalibrate before deciding if it needs any more vocal tracks than the current 13!
    Chuck in another 9 to be on the safe side.
    IMC1980 said:
    Chuck in another 9 to be on the safe side.
    No problem... 3 sections in 3 part harmony...

Better double track them so let's round it up to 18 to be on the safe side
    Sadly I might have to miss this one. We're having major work done on the house and having to pack up and squeeze into a small flat for a few weeks. An interesting new feature just appeared in our living room (pic below) which I take as a message that it's time to get out. I still haven't managed to convince my wife to have a go at pole dancing.

Bloody hell. That's not good. And you've not exactly been living there a long time
    @stratman3142 that doesn't look great, hope it's easily sorted!  Mind you, if that was Homes Under the Hammer they'd call it prime opportunity for a third bedroom ... best of luck man.

Back on track, this cover is doing my bloody head in.  It could just be complete lack of inspiration (I've not managed to write anything since the last cover challenge ... its getting stressful, which it probably shouldn't be) but absolutely nothing is coming together.  Hoping it does ... soon ... more (well some) drugs, maybe that's the solution ...