Cover Challenge #4 - chat thread

What's Hot

Comments

• Sadly I might have to miss this one. We're having major work done on the house and having to pack up and squeeze into a small flat for a few weeks. An interesting new feature just appeared in our living room (pic below) which I take as a message that it's time to get out. I still haven't managed to convince my wife to have a go at pole dancing.

Bloody hell. That's not good. And you've not exactly been living there a long time
    It's all under control and not a problem. We're having a loft conversion as well as an extension. They're just there while they install the steels and support structure for the loft rooms.

It's not a competition.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1806
    Glad it's the right type of work @stratman3142

@Bezzer it's definitely a tricky chord progression to work with in terms of different genres. I'm sure some inspiration will come. Still loads of time left
  • IMC1980IMC1980 Frets: 141
    I have also struggled with this one, settled on a transpose and some vaguely blues sounding guitars. Going to record the vocals tomorrow which will may or may not resemble the original melody. 
  • flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1806
    Right. I've settled on mine and sent it to @poopot ;;so we can get a playlist started to inspire you all....
  • It's interesting this one, never heard it before and I must admit I don't like UB40 at all (and that's sacrilege from even an almost-Brummy I believe) but think there's enough I like about this specific track to work with and abstract. I just need my man flu to piss off now, it stopped me doing the last one and I've had it over a month now which prevents me singing. Probably a good thing on my previous efforts
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9098
    Right. I've settled on mine and sent it to @poopot ;;so we can get a playlist started to inspire you all....
    not got it dude!!!!!!
  • markvmarkv Frets: 459
    I'm not a UB40 fan particularly but their first album is pretty good and I really like the singles from around then, like "Food For Thought" and this one.

I'm only just get round to making a start. I have a structure and I have a track that's serving as my stylistic inspiration (although it probably won't end up sounding much like it). I like the chord progression (which is why I chose it) but I think I'm going to chop it into bits for different parts of the track.

We are a go... three entries in the playlist...

https://soundcloud.com/thefretboard/sets/cover-challenge-no4-the-earth
    That flute is inspired @poopot!
    IMC1980 said:
    That flute is inspired @poopot!
    Thanks... was watching “anchorman” :) also a friend sent me a link to “shittyflute” on YouTube...
    How’s everyone getting on?
    I have a little bit of a guitar overlay to add to mine, some guitar and vocal editing and then mixing. Hoping to have it done by the end of this weekend.
    edited February 2019
    I have most of the bits - apart from vocals - but, as Eric Morecambe would say, not necessarily in the right order.

I started out aiming for one style, which once I'd started it was sounding more like Red House Painters, but now it's morphing again. Not quite sure what it's going to end up like.

Currently I'm trying to imagine a Hammond-ish part which, as a non-keyboard player, I'm having difficulty with. I've spelled out the chords and worked out the inversions that seem to give a nice progression down the keyboard - I think. Is this what a real keyboard player would do?
  • BezzerBezzer Frets: 581
    I am still absolutely nowhere!  I thought I had something this weekend, but I was sorely mistaken ....
    I've been listening back to what I have so far, which has several acoustic rhythm guitar tracks, and now all I can hear is the squeaks of my fingers on the strings in between certain chord changes. Is it worth trying to edit them out or do I just need to re-record it?
    markv said:
    I've been listening back to what I have so far, which has several acoustic rhythm guitar tracks, and now all I can hear is the squeaks of my fingers on the strings in between certain chord changes. Is it worth trying to edit them out or do I just need to re-record it?
    are they that bad? or are you just being hypercritical? 
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2739
    Bloody good song @markblack
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2739
    Others are quite good too :)
    poopot said:
    markv said:
    are they that bad? or are you just being hypercritical? 
    Yes, I wondered that, but no, I don't think I am. You know how you come back to it after a day or so's break and notice something that you hadn't before? It's glaring and because it's on more than one guitar at the same time, it's amplified.

I think I'll try dipping the volume or eq'ing it just on those bits and see if it makes enough of a difference. I think editing it out is possible but would be too obvious.
    markv said:
    Do you mean that creaking sound you get when you go up or down the neck? If so, I like that sound! It is part of the playing, if not then I am not sure what that sounds like, post a small clip if it is something different.

Finished editing of my cover last night. Hoping to get the mix done tomorrow and send it in.