10 Questions We Ask Everyone

What's Hot

Comments

• ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133

1: What was your first guitar and when did you get it?

1969 - First "guitar" was an electric I made myself in school, age 12.

1970 - First guitar I could actually play was a really nasty cheap acoustic with barbed wire for strings, and an action higher than the Forth Rail Bridge.  It just had to go, so a month later -

First proper guitar was a Yamaha FG180 acoustic, thanks dad.

First electric was a 1963 Gibson Les Paul / SG Junior, brilliant guitar, thanks again dad.

Worked all summer as a runner in London for him to pay that off.  Then it was back to school in the day, and evenings gigging in a covers band at military bases etc, till I paid it off. Cost all of £120 back then, wow !!!

2: The building’s burning down – what one guitar do you save? 

I've got two hands, that's two guitars surely?

OK then just one, probably my sky blue, "impossibly pretty" Tom Anderson hollow drop top, it is truly an amazing guitar.

(sssh, in the other hand is my Tokai LP, which is better than any Gibson LP I ever had*)

3: What’s the oldest guitar that you own? 

1979 Greco black LP custom, 3 pickup model.  (again*)

4: And the next piece of gear you’d like to acquire? 

I really fancy an acoustic again.        (GAS is a bad mistress)

or, to get my old Junior back,            (if only I could, the wisdom of hindsight)

5: What strings do you use? 

Always used to be Ernie Ball 10-52, quite like Elixir now I've tried them.

Learning all over again what feels right, so the jury's still out on that one.

6: If you could change one thing about a recording of yours, what would it be? 

Get a bigger budget, get a better studio, get a better engineer, get a better producer, don't let the label interfere.

7: What are you doing five minutes before you go onstage? 

Chilling       (if I can remember back that far)

8: ...And five minutes after? 

Flying

9: What’s the worst thing that’s ever happened to you onstage? 

God, that was too long ago to remember, ... or admit to  ;)

10: What advice would you give your younger self about playing the guitar? 

You love playing, don't ever stop.

(& no matter what the music biz throws at you, don't get disillusioned, there is always another day, but only one lifetime.)

I have recently started playing again after far far too many years away from music, so that is honest advice, and from the heart.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • rockmonsterrockmonster Frets: 823
    edited December 2020

Spanish guitar 39 years ago Xmas present from my folks!

My Tom Murphy 57 goldtop(lol! Sold it!)

Shagged out old bitsa strat

Another pre 2000 PRS singlecut 

Elixir coated  .009'' to whatever!

Play the solo better

Winding up the drummer

Winding up the drummer!

Amp blew up (luckily it was just before the encore!)

Practice more and learn to bloody read music you lazy tosser!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6084
     A crappy no-name classical guitar strung with metal strings and covered in hippy decoupage in 1976. Could just about manage to fret the open chords.

My 1979 LP Pro Deluxe (see my avatar)

1978 Sunburst Fender Precision fretless bass - Modified with extended finger-board and added J pickup.

A descent 4 string fretted bass which doesn't cost a fortune.

For electric: Ernie Ball 10-46. For acoustic: Elixir Nanoweb bronze.

Not having by E string bust at the end of one my one of my best recorded solo's..which I didn't have time to redo.

(Not gigged for a while)  Sleeping.

Packing up as fast as I can.

Playing in a soul/funk band to an audience of American rednecks on one of the US airforce basses. "Shit boys, we want rock and roll, ain't you ever heard of Ozzeee Osbourne... yee haa". Think of the country-club gig in the Blue-Brothers and you're getting close!

Practice more and learn to read music. Listen to solo's on other instruments so that the guitar doesn't play you. Listen to all styles of music for inspiration and don't hide your technique under wads of fuzz or distortion.

(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2890

1988 squire Strat, bought in 1988.  There was a local government strike and we could not get into our building so wandered around town and saw this red Strat in the window.  Looked like the one Chris Rea had on the cover of Dancing with Strangers.   Had to get the staff in the shop to demo it to me as I knew nothing.  Luckily it’s a great guitar.

Wife asked me this the other day.  Fender 70s reissue Strat, but I think part of the appeal is that it is just set up so sublimely.

I refer you to the answer I gave earlier  (q1)

I would love a thinline tele.  Not sure I can get guitar no 12 past the missus though.

9’s.   I think there Ernie Ball.

Other than a few short loops I haven’t recorded anything.  I do wish I had captured a live gig of the covers band I was in during 1992.  We were bloody good.

Probably having another crap. 

long cool drink of something, probably cola or water.

Nothing drastic.  We played a 40
    th
    birthday party once and there were balloons all over the area immediately in front of the stage.  For reasons I can’t recall I thought it was a good idea to wander off stage (I had a long lead) and kick balloons at the singer during a particularly emotional bit.  He was tad pissed off afterwards.

Learn some theory now before your too bloody old for any of it to sink in.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

• TheOtherDennisTheOtherDennis Frets: 2010
    edited August 2013
    1. What was your first guitar?
    A Yamaha F310 acoustic - all laminate, it only cost £90, because I thought if I take to it I can upgrade and get a proper one later, and if I don't, then I haven't wasted much money

2. The building's burning down, what guitar do you save?
    My Avalon A200 acoustic with one hand, and the Epiphone Es 335 Dot with the other.

3. What's the oldest guitar you own?
    The Epi 335

4. And the next piece of gear you'd like to acquire?
    Not sure I need anything else. Have guitars, amp and Pocket Pod, what else does a bedroom player need?

5. What strings do you use?
    Depends what I can afford when I need to change them. Currently Rotosound 10s on the electrics, and Thomastik Bronze on the acoustics (won't be getting those again, though, waaay too much now).

6. If you could change one thing about a recording of yours, what would it be?
    There's one from the days of the Guitarist Collective that I'd like to completely re-record because it's absolutely terrible, start to finish.

7. What are you doing five minutes before you go on stage?
    I've only ever 'gigged' four times, and I was shaking like a leaf in a hurricane each time.

8. ... and five minutes after?
    Still trying to stop myself shaking.

9. What's the worst thing that's happened to you on stage?
    Other than booting a solo, nothing really bad happened on any of the four times I've taken the 'stage'. The worst thing that's ever happened to me in relation to live playing was this year when I did a Rock Experience course at The Stables at Milton Keynes. Went every week for six weeks, every time I suggested something, someone else suggested a different way and they all went with that instead. Learned 7 songs I wasn't really fussed about, not one of my suggestions made it through. Fair enough, it's not that important, so I just went with it. Then on the last day, we were getting ready to go onstage in a couple of hours in front of a proper audience when the band spotted that a kid from another band who'd been stood up by the rest of his band was wandering about with nothing to do. So they gave him my place and left me out. Haven't touched my guitars since. Don't want to either. Surprised I'm even on here, tbh.

10. What advice would you give your younger self about playing the guitar?
    Find a teacher and get on and learn it now, don't waste time waiting till you're nearly 40.
    If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3301
    edited August 2013
    November 1980 and it was a black Westbury Standard (same as the one Flanging_Fred recently acquired from Crack Converters and mentioned here)

My customised Strat - it's my workhorse.

My PRS CU24 (it's an 1989 but I acquired it in 1997)

A Telecaster (Fender/MJT) but still searching, and hoping to get a late 70s, script logo MXR Envelope Filter by the end of the year.

For electric, D'addario XL Superlights (9.5-44) but may be moving up to Thomastik Powerbright 10s (tension compensated). For acoustic, Elixir Nanoweb Custom Lights (11-52)

Cut back on the effects. Overdone!

Checking my tuning and smiling and geeing up my band mates.

Frowning and hitting my band mates! Joking! Hopefully, still smiling and chatting to/thanking people and nearly always remaining close by the stage as I never take my eyes off my gear in case some oink tries to nab something (it happens).

There's 2 that come to mind.
    No/1 - the deaf, pub dog falling asleep on my pedalboard and not moving in a very dodgy venue where you daren't question anything and the 20+ stone, drunk landlord's mate, equally dodgy, who jumped up on stage during Boston's "More than a feeling" and proceeded to sing/scream into my mic, grab me around the shoulders like I was his best bud and let himself go so not only was I trying to play with a dog at/on my feet, but I was supporting his mass - he stayed there for about 2 numbers and the dog, most of the night. Good paying gig though! Jonathan @FelineGuitars will remember The Victoria pub in Surbiton.
    No/2 - Accidentally hitting the metronome button on my Zoom 9002 instead of the preset button and having what sounded like an industrial banging noise/Einstürzende Neubauten coming out of the mega-loud PA at The Marquee. Luckily, all crowd eyes turned to the drummer!

Wish I started earlier than 17 and learnt to read music.
  • Common theme: answer to #10 = wish I'd learnt <the formal stuff> ...
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618

TheOtherDennis said: 9. What's the worst thing that's happened to you on stage?
    Other than booting a solo, nothing really bad happened on any of the four times I've taken the 'stage'. The worst thing that's ever happened to me in relation to live playing was this year when I did a Rock Experience course at The Stables at Milton Keynes. Went every week for six weeks, every time I suggested something, someone else suggested a different way and they all went with that instead. Learned 7 songs I wasn't really fussed about, not one of my suggestions made it through. Fair enough, it's not that important, so I just went with it. Then on the last day, we were getting ready to go onstage in a couple of hours in front of a proper audience when the band spotted that a kid from another band who'd been stood up by the rest of his band was wandering about with nothing to do. So they gave him my place and left me out. Haven't touched my guitars since. Don't want to either. Surprised I'm even on here, tbh.
    This is diabolical behaviour. Pity the NGAS All-Stars weren't on hand to kick some arse :x

@TheOtherDennis
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2744
    Tokai strat tst50 bought in scarborough new in 1984...   sadly stolen from a rehearsal room in Newcastle in 1990.

My PRS Custom 24.  Not the most valuble by far and not the prettiest but it has done so many gigs that it feels a part of me.

Mid 80's MIJ Fender esquire,  bought in 91 in a second hand shop in oxford for £120 - he tried the line that an esquire was the next step up from a squier...  I didn't even haggle and grabbed it!

New amp head and a tremonti wah -  hopefully both sorted in the next week.

Electric:  D'addario 9-46  Acoustic Elixir nanoweb lights,  Bass DR Black beauties

Fairly happy with most studio work but I cringe at some live recordings and wish I could go back to that moment in the gig and retune!

Usually getting changed and sorting my make up,   five mins before that I'll probably be having a cig :(

Wondering where did all the cuties who were dancing disappear to lol and having a cig before nagging at the other guys to help packing away the gear.

I've fallen off a few stages and played many a dodgy note but i cringe most at the several trouser splits and zip down without realising moments...

Stop putting your energy into thinking about gear and practise more - and have some lessons instead of trying to find you're own way, it'll save a lot of time!
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    Late 50's Roger Rossmeisl semi-solid when I was a child. My dad picked up all the cheap electric guitars in the shop, looked at the construction,  shook his head,  and said to the assistant:  "Surely you must have something better than this? Second Hand is fine" The guy went into the back and came back with the Roger guitar. Thanks Dad. I miss you so much.

1953 Gibson Les Paul - Scott Lentz Conversion. It would probably be either in my hands or within reach anyway.....

As above.

Can't think of anything. Going down to one guitar is a distinct possibility.

Not too fussed. Usually Ernie Ball or DR Pure Blues

The Flashback loop I made 5 minutes ago was a fraction out of sync.

Making sure my hands and the back of the guitar neck are clean and smooth.

Now - No longer gigging.
    Then - Telling 14 year old girls: "No - that's not a good idea. Actions have Consequences"

An incident with a crowd of Bikers invading the dressing room could have been nasty but was diffused, so.....Nothing.

Stop practicing and start writing songs instead.

• noisepolluternoisepolluter Frets: 789
    edited August 2013
    Hokada Classical - that and the accompanying classical guitar lessons lasted a couple of months before a mexi strat and Normal Guitar Lessons for Normal People. 

Gibson ES-335

Mid 90s mexi Squier Strat

Literally nothing on the radar for the next few years TBH - unless something important breaks. Everything except the really cherished stuff is up for sale.

D'add 10's on electric, D'add phosphor bronze 12's on acoustic 

Probably used less reverb and made the vocal louder. 

Tuning up obsessively. And drinking heavily. 

Post-mortem'ing obsessively. And drinking heavily.

Any one of several occasions when I've started a song drunkenly confident that the 2nd and 3rd choruses 'will come back to me'.

Stop buying all that crap. Decide what you really want, save up for it and in the meantime spend some time actually playing along to stuff.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7670
    edited August 2013

A Telecaster-shaped Kay, it was rubbish

A Rickenbacker 330 that I have on loan from a mate.

A Samick 12 string acoustic (for sale ;) )

I'd like to buy something special to celebrate my 50th (a couple of weeks away) but I don't know what it is yet.

Rotosound 30-90s on my basses - Elixir 10s (Nanoweb 80/20) on my acoustic.

There was a drum track I did years ago where the ending of my part was edited to cover a fluff by the guitarist, I'd like the guitarist to come back from Canada and re-record his bit.

Not much as a rule, unless it's setting up in a hurry - for big gigs I used to be so relaxed that I could almost go to sleep

Packing my gear away so that I know where it all is and then I can relax.

I remember breaking two strings at once back in the 80s, not sure if I've broken even one since.

Nothing, I wouldn't have listened to some old bloke wittering on.
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    Paul_C said:

I'd like to buy something special to celebrate my 50th (a couple of weeks away) but I don't know what it is yet.

Paul - 350 ideas for you.
    http://www.gbase.com/gear/find?gs=y&pageindex=2&fy=1963&ly=1963

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27342
    A Columbus LP copy.  It barely counts as a "guitar" though, my first real guitar was my Kawai KS12XL.  That started something!  

My first self-build from the Bailey course.  It's not my best, but it was the most life-changing.

That first Kawai.  From c1981.

Nothing.  I've been GAS-free for a while and would like to stay that way.

Whatever is in the cupboard.  I got a load of Rotosound 10s because they had a spare top E.  Now I've just got a load of spare top E strings.. 

It's absence.  It's a long held, but rather vague, ambition of mine to actually write and record something worth writing and recording.

Probably just drifting off to sleep and starting the dream (about what it'd be like to go onstage). 

5 minutes??  How long to dreams last??? 

I try not to have bad dreams, so nothing bad has ever happened

No, it doesn't come naturally, you don't have natural talent, and you won't get better just by buying another guitar.  If you're doing it to get some girls, practice a little, and you'll get more choice.  Or just more.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • davewwdaveww Frets: 165
    A 1960s Framus acoustic archtop with flatwound strings.  Probably was a good guitar but not cool at the time.

My Bacchus Vintage series tele.  Not the most expensive but it always seems to get the most use.

Probably the vintage series bacchus tele  - not that old early 1990s.

I'd like a nice Brian Setzer Gretsch

D'adario on my electrics and Newtone on my acoustics.

Never done any serious recording.

My band disbanded a couple of months back :-( but probably frantically practising the scariest bits so I wouldn't forget them

Buzzing

Completed forgetting how Flourescent Adolescent went..  My mind went blank and I had to get the singer to hum it to me..

Put the hours in.  Less widdling and more practising!

• RolandRoland Frets: 8590
    The first I played was a plywood box borrowed from a neighbour.  The first I owned was a Hofner President bought from a school friend.  It really was during the summer of '69 that I got my first six string.

Probably none of them: people, wallet, car keys and phone come first.  If I still had a hand free then the Parker Fly because it's heavily modded, and the hardest to replace.

The President. It dates from about 1958, but doesn't have a truss rod, and is no longer playable.

There's nothing on my list, but with significant birthday coming up I will find something.

D'Addario 10.5 to 52 on the Fly, 10 to 52 on the PRS and Les Paul, 11 to 52 on the Washburn SA2100, and Elixir Nanoweb 11 to 52s on the acoustic. 

Getting it issued.  I've still go the un-mixed stems on a DVD somewhere.

Looking for the singer. 

Packing away 

String breakage, not just one, but a whole batch of 11s that unravelled at the ball end.  

That Hofner is difficult to play, and will hold you back.  Find some money for a better guitar.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5834

A Satellite Guitar for about £30 in Dec 1986, it was kind of S.G shaped and was Black bursting into dark red with a black pickguard. It had pick up selecters that were more like what you find on a Fender Jaguar(the square switches). I wish I had kept it for old times sake as it probably ended up as Firewood.

2:The building’s burning down – what one guitar do you save? My Ruokangas VSOP.

3: What’s the oldest guitar that you own? Kramer Striker circa 1984, it's completely dismantled and will probably remain so because I can't be arsed and really don't have the time to do owt with it.

4: And the next piece of gear you’d like to acquire? I really am happy with what I've got and don't GAS too easily, but if I had to pick it would be a Tele of sorts.

5: What strings do you use? Elixirs 9's (skinny E.T fingers)

6: If you could change one thing about a recording of yours, what would it be?  To actually start doing one

7: What are you doing five minutes before you go onstage?  At the time, long ago, I was probably having a Ciggie.

8: ...And five minutes after?  Lighting another one!

9: What’s the worst thing that’s ever happened to you onstage?  Once, I completely forgot the song we were playing, I didn't have any fear before we started the song, It just went after the first verse. Glad we were all mates and the crowd saw the funny side though.

10: What advice would you give your younger self about playing the guitar? Give up, you're Shit!.........;-)  Nah, only kidding, I'd say, "Learn the guitar properly and start young with theory, because you're going to hate your job and you'll be playing catch-up later in life"

Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • TheOtherDennisTheOtherDennis Frets: 2010
    edited August 2013
    Lixarto said:
    This is diabolical behaviour. Pity the NGAS All-Stars weren't on hand to kick some arse :x

@TheOtherDennis
    :) Thanks, Zap, I was bloody angry for a bit, now I just feel like a complete idiot for letting it happen, and I'm partly to blame for it. :-S
    If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.
  • LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    Well, I know we've not managed it yet, but I promise you: next time, "Tumblin' Dice" :)
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    Lixarto said:

@TheOtherDennis
    :) Thanks, Zap, I was bloody angry for a bit, now I just feel like a complete idiot for letting it happen, and I'm partly to blame for it. :-S
    They sound like a right bunch of arseholes. 
    As Fletcher once said "Don't let the bastards grind you down"