Insuring your gear and public liability cover...

What's Hot
Panama_Jack666Panama_Jack666 Frets: 2989
Now then,

As it stands I don't have any insurance for my gear. It's not been too much of a problem up until now, however, I'm playing a few more gigs now. I hadn't thought about it until we were playing recently in a bit of a dodgy venue, I then felt a little bit uncomfortable leaving my prize tele unattended while we waited for our slot to play! I've always taken care of my gear and I'm not the sort of person to leave it in a car overnight or anything.

I don't have house/contents insurance so there is literally no cover on my gear. Do any of you have specific insurance for your gear? Any recommendations on brokers? Any pitfalls to look out for? Have you had to use it before?

Also, some insurers offer public liability insurance which I don't personally have. Is it worth getting? I'm fairly sure the band I'm in has it anyway...

Discuss!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3430
    I use Allianz and have mid level PLC. You never know when it might come in handy and it was about £30 to add.

No experience claiming though, and we all know what insurance cos can be like...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    edited May 2014

Music Guard or Allianz are the two most widely mentioned on here.

I use Music Guard and get £1million Public Liabilty Cover....although there was a discusion on here that that sum wouldn't be sufficent if for example a PA speaker knocks out and stops a 30 year old from working for the rest of his life.

Joining the MU is another option, IIRC they provide cover for members.

With my MG policy I have everything listed, but only 50% covered at a time, which covers what I take to a gig as I never take everything! That helps to keep the premium down.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 3145
    The MU is worth joining for the insurance benefits. Thing about instrument insurance is all the get out clauses in it which seem to preclude instruments being nicked on gigs. The other option is to get a quote from a reputable company and put that money in a jar every year. If you don't have a claim then its gas money if you do then you should have enough to cover the loss after the first couple of years.
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • ElectroDanElectroDan Frets: 554
    We live in a claim culture. Public liability insurance is a very good idea. Some agents and venues insist on it now along with PAT test certificates. Someone at a gig once sued a musician friend of mine for a five figure sum, as he had bumped into them injuring their back. Fortunately, PLI covered it and settled out of court.
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3336
    edited May 2014
    one for the mods - @Monquixote, @TTony -how much clout does the Forum carry? Given the pool of musos we have and the potential business on offer here to someone like Music Guard or Allianz, do you think there's any chance a "Fretboard discount" could be negotiated? I suppose some proof would be required that you were a member and perhaps we could have a special code number.

Just a thought

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • IanSavageIanSavage Frets: 1319
    Musicians' Union. Need to renew my membership now I'm gigging properly again.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24630
    Allianz for me.

Allianz are part of the biggest insurance group in the world - AND I use their policies for insuring litigation and I know they will pay out when I need them to.

Anyone who gigs without public liability cover is an idiot.
  • Without PLC Allianz is come in at £17 a month.
    With is £20 a month. 
    £240 a year!?
  • Without PLC Allianz is come in at £17 a month.
    With is £20 a month. 
    £240 a year!?
    Like I said in t'other thread: phone Newmoon Insurance...then come back and thank me ;-)
  • I just pay monthly to Allianz now... can you tell me how much yours is and for what amount of gear? 
    Does it cover theft from a gig etc?
  • Wow, NewMoon came to only £55 for the year.... what's the catch?
  • Wow, NewMoon came to only £55 for the year.... what's the catch?
    I found them after searching for recommendations (other than Allianz and Music Guard).
    Just read my policy docs...looks sound to me...no catch.
    Is there a massive excess to pay on this NewMoon policy? 

That's usually one way inn-sewer-ants make you think you're getting a great deal.
  • Excess is tiered and optional per item...I haven't got one.
    Hmmm interesting...I'll remember them when my current policy expires,
  • I'm paying Allianz monthly just now but assume I can just quit and switch to New Moon. I've not got the time to cross-check but will do. Seems to be WAY cheaper... 
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
    Looking likely that we have secured a wedding gig through an agency and they insist on Public Liability and PAT testing. So I'll definitely check out Newmoon insurance :)
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • If you have the time to check the differences between them and Allianz, that'd be very much appreciated. Allianz are five times the price of NewMoon for me and I don't know why - there must be a significant difference for some reason.
  • Still need to check out the differences but given New Moon are FIVE TIMES cheaper and Allianz have never replied to any of my e-mails.......
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
    Still need to check out the differences but given New Moon are FIVE TIMES cheaper and Allianz have never replied to any of my e-mails.......
    Well there's your answer. Probably won't respond either when someone is making a claim against you etc :( Have you tried their contact telephone number. It's the old fashioned way but gets better results IMO :)
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/