Tedeschi trucks 02 indigo 7/11/15

What's Hot
Wow what a gig, first time seeing Tedeschi trucks on Saturday and probably the most musical band I've seen. Derek trucks has to be the best guitarist around the guy has so much feel and expression to his playing I got chills watching/listening to him. Anyone else attend the gig or a fan of them ?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I saw Derek Trucks plus Band (no Tedeschi) a few years ago. Excellent Gig. I know some people complain that he doesn't hardly engage with the audience. I don't mind as his guitar playing is great.
  • Yeah your right about him not engaging the audience but I kind like that he just does his thing.
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9549
    edited November 2015
    Not seen a gig, but have the two studio albums which are both excellent. Any film of them seems to show that she is far better at engaging with the audience than Mr Trucks.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • matonematone Frets: 211
    Great musicians ,all of them,love to see them live,preferably at Red Rocks !
  • RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6431
    edited November 2015
    He's obviously a stupendously talented guitarist, but if I'm honest I think slide guitar is a seasoning that should be used sparingly like salt and pepper, rather than ladled over everything like a sauce.

Would have loved to have seen the Allman Brothers Band with him and Warren Haynes (I've made no secret on here of what a fanboi I am of Haynes) and the clip of I'd Rather Go Blind with Warren and the Tedeschi Trucks Band  is sublime.

Edit: But, yeah, the control, tone and intonation his slide playing has is just off the scale.

• mgawmgaw Frets: 5239
    went to see him in Manchester a few years back...met him in a restaurant before hand...well nice guy and humble....gig was great and his playing as you expect, but they got a bit of heckling from some twats in the crowd......as a player i think he is pretty much peerless at the moment..he is so musical and expressive.....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    edited November 2015
    Yeah, I was there; mind blowingly good gig. Derek's playing was, as you might expect, superb, but man, those voices... I'm not always a fan of the female singing voice but Susan has something very special. I have to admit I shed a tear during 'With a little help from my friends' - stunning stuff. I would have liked to hear Mike Matthews sing a couple more; he's just insanely good.
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    RocknRollDave;852895" said:
    He's obviously a stupendously talented guitarist, but if I'm honest I think slide guitar is a seasoning that should be used sparingly like salt and pepper, rather than ladled over everything like a sauce.
    It's interesting you say that Dave as I was actually surprised how little slide playing there was over the course of the show. I'd say he played slide maybe a third of the time the rest being fingers. And he displayed some damned fine soloing without the slide I have to say. Ultimately though it was all about the song - all very tasteful.
  • I agree his guitar playing is just down him not just the slide and all about the songs. They are such a complete band.
  • simonk said:
    RocknRollDave;852895" said:
    It's interesting you say that Dave as I was actually surprised how little slide playing there was over the course of the show. I'd say he played slide maybe a third of the time the rest being fingers. And he displayed some damned fine soloing without the slide I have to say. Ultimately though it was all about the song - all very tasteful.

Really? Didn't realise that, will definitely have to check out the TTB then, cos, awesome as he is with a slide, he's pretty flipping tasty without one.

• I'd like to see them live. What I've heard of their recorded output has been a bit meandering, whereas Trucks is interesting and I really like Tedeschi who does a nice line in soulful blues on her solo stuff. The combination seemed less than the sum of it's parts although I'm prepared to be persuaded otherwise.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    I was at the 7/11 gig too. Was very good. Dragged my wife along and she enjoyed it too - more than Robben Ford which didn't really engage her. Derek's playing was sublime but it was the singing (Susan and the other bloke) that made a show that non-guitar nerds could enjoy too.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6378
    edited November 2015
    EricTheWeary;857925" said:
    I'd like to see them live. What I've heard of their recorded output has been a bit meandering, whereas Trucks is interesting and I really like Tedeschi who does a nice line in soulful blues on her solo stuff. The combination seemed less than the sum of it's parts although I'm prepared to be persuaded otherwise.
    Please watch/listen without prejudice

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I'd love to see them live, didn't realise they were touring.

I have the last couple of albums, and on record to me they're not quite on fire....but the live clips do look fantastic.
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6084
    Jalapeno said:
    I'd like to see them live. What I've heard of their recorded output has been a bit meandering, whereas Trucks is interesting and I really like Tedeschi who does a nice line in soulful blues on her solo stuff. The combination seemed less than the sum of it's parts although I'm prepared to be persuaded otherwise.

Just about the finest captured live slide solo that I've ever heard... perfect beyond words..
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • Jalapeno said:

I own a copy of the DVD ( one of the Crossroads ones) that's off so it is their track I am most familiar with. I think her singing is excellent on that ( I know she sounds an awful lot like Bonnie Raitt but who cares... ) and I do like his slide playing. The band all hang back so well, very tastefully done. The studio tracks I've heard seemed a bit directionless to me in comparison but I've only really heard a few things; her Back to the River album is a major favourite of mine so perhaps I should persevere. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5594
    I was aware of Tedeschi Trucks Band for ages but never really paid attention to them. Then I subscribed to Qello and saw one of their recorded shows so I bought the two studio albums off iTunes over the weekend. Really nice music, I don't think there's a bad track on either album and Susan Tedeschi has a great voice - I kinda have the hots for her a bit too if I'm honest, hehe.

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

• I don't know. I find there's just something that doesn't quite grip me. I really enjoy Derek Trucks's solo albums though. One of the albums is in the local library, maybe I'll have to get it out again and have another listen. They have another album coming out quite soon. 
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
  • RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6431
    edited June 2017
    Thread resurrection!

Just got hold of the Live From The Fox Oakland DVD - in fact just finishing the last song as we speak.

some cracking stuff on this, Tedeschi in particular singing like her life depended on it, and I'm no fan of female singers usually but....wow

Not a duff musician in the whole band, outstanding. Some of the Indian-style note choice in Trucks' slide playing gets a bit wearying after the first 5 minutes of soloing but there's lots more to his playing here than that. Not sure I could love a studio album in this vein but live it's superb.

• mgawmgaw Frets: 5239
    killer album, killer band