Redsound Handmade FRFR cabs from Italy - these sound good

What's Hot

Comments

• firepaulmusicfirepaulmusic Frets: 362
    First rehearsal with the Redsound last night. As soon as I plugged in and turned up I realised it was much more like an amp. A really full sound especially in the low mids. Much less tiring on the ears than the directional PA cab I’m used to. I’ve got a Vox AC15 patch that I barely use but the RS brought this to life and it sounded fab, really touch responsive. Volume is immense and I can’t wait to gig with it, just ordering a padded cover from Hot Covers for £45....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3301
    edited May 2019
    Thanks for letting us know Paul and I'm glad it's first outing was a good one (I was going to ask anyway if you didn't post this).

I don't own either a Kemper or Redsound but I'm going to be trying that very rig next week in the studio on both Guitar & Bass. I'll have both my regular bass rigs and guitar rig there, too (a Roland Bass Cube and Fender Rumble & a Divided by 13 and 2x12 cab) plus some powered PA cabs and I'll let you know what my first impressions are for a complete modeller newbie and if the Redsound feels and sounds amp-like

• firepaulmusicfirepaulmusic Frets: 362
    Kebabkid said:
    Thanks for letting us know Paul and I'm glad it's first outing was a good one (I was going to ask anyway if you didn't post this).

I don't own either a Kemper or Redsound but I'm going to be trying that very rig next week in the studio on both Guitar & Bass. I'll have both my regular bass rigs and guitar rig there, too (a Roland Bass Cube and Fender Rumble & a Divided by 13 and 2x12 cab) plus some powered PA cabs and I'll let you know what my first impressions are for a complete modeller newbie and if the Redsound feels and sounds amp-like

I use mine with a Fractal AX8 for the most compact and flexible rig possible...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    For anyone interested, I've just put my own experience of a Redsound cab trial today on 'The Kemper Thread'
    http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/2240334/#Comment_2240334

• exocetexocet Frets: 1948
    edited May 2019
    Just heard that my Redsound is on it's way back from Thomann. Fingers crossed it's now fixed. Got to spend some time working on a few AX8 patches because I plan to gig with it at an outdoor event in June.
  • StinkfootStinkfoot Frets: 74
    Well thanks to @Kebabkid and Peter at Clearsound arranging a demo day on Saturday I’ve also joined the Redsound owners club!

I tried out the LG12 and thought it was the most amp-like I’ve heard my Helix since I’ve had it. 
    I ended up going with an LG12 active rack in a slight wedge shape which I think has a nice combo-like look to it. 

Having tried it out a little more at home I’m so impressed. Using a Fender Deluxe patch with an Ownhammer IR I’ve finally managed to get the warm and dynamic clean tone I’ve been looking for.  The response feels just like regular Fender amps I’ve owned and avoids the slightly harsh highs and boomy lows I’d previously encountered using PA style FRFR speakers.

I have a rehearsal on Thursday and gig on Saturday so will be intrigued to see if I still get the same results at higher volumes. Signs are good so far.....

edited May 2019
    You're very welcome, @Stinkfoot and as mentioned in the other post, for contrast, we had a Kemper and my Divided by 13 there going through a Tone Tubby-equipped 2x12 (6V6s & EL84s on tap) and the latter sounds fabulous. The Helix and Red Sound matched and surpassed the sound of it and it's now left me with a dilemma.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Stinkfoot said:
    Well thanks to @Kebabkid and Peter at Clearsound arranging a demo day on Saturday I’ve also joined the Redsound owners club!

I tried out the LG12 and thought it was the most amp-like I’ve heard my Helix since I’ve had it. 
    I ended up going with an LG12 active rack in a slight wedge shape which I think has a nice combo-like look to it. 

Having tried it out a little more at home I’m so impressed. Using a Fender Deluxe patch with an Ownhammer IR I’ve finally managed to get the warm and dynamic clean tone I’ve been looking for.  The response feels just like regular Fender amps I’ve owned and avoids the slightly harsh highs and boomy lows I’d previously encountered using PA style FRFR speakers.

I have a rehearsal on Thursday and gig on Saturday so will be intrigued to see if I still get the same results at higher volumes. Signs are good so far.....

Which Ownhammer speaker IR are you using with the Deluxe patch?
    @exocet I can't remember which pack it came from, but the file name is: OH-112 DLX P12R 121-01
    So I assume based on a Fender Deluxe with a 112 Jensen speaker?
    Whatever it is it's sounding good to my ears!

Stinkfoot said:
    @exocet I can't remember which pack it came from, but the file name is: OH-112 DLX P12R 121-01
    So I assume based on a Fender Deluxe with a 112 Jensen speaker?
    Whatever it is it's sounding good to my ears!

I thought it might have been - I haven't tried any Ownhammer IRs yet, when I took a look a saw a bewildering array of what could be considered to be "non Fender options". The P12R is a Jensen speaker.
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2377
    Just emailed Pete at Clearsound for some details. I could be tempted.... although I'm a bit loathe to move from a stereo setup!

Found this comparison clip - the RedSound certainly sounds a lot fuller than the Headrush...
  • FarleyUK said:
    Just emailed Pete at Clearsound for some details. I could be tempted.... although I'm a bit loathe to move from a stereo setup!
    @FarleyUK Another option you might want to consider.

I've just agreed to buy a DB Technologies Flexsys FM8. This is to use with my AX8. 

Its a compact 8 inch coaxial speaker which I've had my eye on for a while. If I like it I will probably look to buy another as like you, I really don't want to go mono. I'll let you know how I get on  =)
    OK, I'm going to bite the bullet on these - maybe go for two of them to give them a trial run.

Can anyone suggest if it would be better to go for the normal LG12, or the slanted ('Rack') version? Playing bar and pub gigs mostly.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23941
    You can always tilt a regular cab.

You can't straighten an angled one.
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9446
    I’ve owned the Passive and Active versions of these and they are superb. Best, by far, of the FRFR I’ve tried and worked wonderfully with the Kemper 
    I inadvertently ended up with the active rack (wedge shaped) one. I’d been impressed with the regular one which Peter had brought over to demo and only when I opened the boxed up one I took home did I discover it was the rack version. I had planned to swap it over but after trying it I was reluctant to give it back so kept it!
    Sound dispersion seems great. I actually prefer the shape as it’s more like a traditional small combo and looks great. It doesn’t have the stitched tolex covering (just a hard crackle finish) but I’m fine with that as I know I’d be mortified at the first inevitable dig or scratch in the posher version had I opted for it. 
    Having tried both I think it would just come down to personal preference as they both sounded equally great to me. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Cheers guys - Peter's bringing me a couple of the Rack versions on Friday.... just in time for my Friday night gig!
    edited May 2019
    FarleyUK said:
    Cheers guys - Peter's bringing me a couple of the Rack versions on Friday.... just in time for my Friday night gig!
    Great stuff and I hope you're as impressed as I was and some others, too

• JonHoskerJonHosker Frets: 390
    Repeating myself...but I love mine...top top sonically!!