Reidys says "no more rosewood" from Fender on *most* models

What's Hot
WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5378
edited April 2017 in Guitar
https://www.reidys.com/blog/rosewood-no-more-fender-cites-1901/

Going to ASS-U-ME that does not include the Custom Shop, but USA and imports...
0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23966
    Pau ferro is nice though.

I got an Urge 2 (Stu Hamm sig) with that.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14036
    edited April 2017 tFB Trader
    I heard a rumour of this a few days ago and this included the option of ebony - watch this space on that

I've had 2 r/wood Custom Shop Strats delivered today - shed loads on order inc a few Custom Orders for customers - all due to arrive over the next few months in dribs and drabs

Just a thought, but if they can still get rosewood timber into the USA, or indeed use up their remaining storage/stock of rosewood, then they can keep it all for USA sales only and not worry about any messing about with additional cites for overseas

I've just had 2 x C/Shop models arrive today - USA export cites was granted in Dec 2016 - it took a further 3 months for EU import cites to be authorised - I here there are 5 large containers of stock (sat in Holland) that the authorities are going through bit by bit - this sitting around is costing Fender money - they can't invoice the dealer until goods are actually ready for stock - so a serious reduction in cash flow, even if it is just a short term impact
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5378
    More info: Peach Guitars has just said that it's not quite as bad as Reidys is saying - that the new Pro series and AVRIs will still use it (where applicable) but that Elite and all Mexican models will no longer use it. 
  • ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    So where does that leave the concept of managed plantations and long term investment in sustainable resources.  There appears to me to be an unhealthy potential for backfiring on the whole environmental protection agenda, in the way this has been introduced.  India, amongst others must be spitting feathers   ~:>

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    I was saddened, but not surprised, that the Reid's post is pretty much a scare mongering sales ploy.

'Buy NOW from us as you won't be seeing any more' kind of thing. Low standards.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Whitecat said:
    More info: Peach Guitars has just said that it's not quite as bad as Reidys is saying - that the new Pro series and AVRIs will still use it (where applicable) but that Elite and all Mexican models will no longer use it. 
    logical - and I dare say more info to follow - Yet part of the advantage of Fender having different production lines and different price points is a 'hand me down' policy for reject wood - ie rosewood that is not good enough on a Strat Elite can be used on a Strat Pro etc - Not saying this applies to all woods that Fender use, but it does mean no 'wastage'

I suspect that Fender will still run rosewood for lower cost models from the USA/Mexico, but offer them for sale only in the USA as this gets rid of any cites issues required for sales to the EU or elsewhere in the world
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Wouldn't it be just as hard/annoying to get finished guitars containing rosewood from Mexico to the US as it would be to get them from the US to anywhere else? 

Can envision rosewood on USA-only models (like PRS does with the majority of their Brazilian rosewood) but anytime you introduce another border it seems to me it would make it that much more difficult. 
    tFB Trader
    Whitecat said:
    Wouldn't it be just as hard/annoying to get finished guitars containing rosewood from Mexico to the US as it would be to get them from the US to anywhere else? 

Can envision rosewood on USA-only models (like PRS does with the majority of their Brazilian rosewood) but anytime you introduce another border it seems to me it would make it that much more difficult. 
    I hear what you are saying and in truth I don't know how it works concerning USA to Mexico or vice versa - factories are close yet different countries - Further more the threat of the Trump policy has still to come into play if it goes ahead - Interesting times for appropriate management teams

and they still have to get the raw wood from India to the USA and/or Mexico 
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8534
    I think the end (or vastly reduced use) of a rosewood option is pretty sad news.

@guitars4you - what's your retail experience of people's preference at the higher end of maple vs rosewood boards on Fenders out of interest? My completely unfounded belief is that rosewood boards outsell maple currently, I may be very wrong.
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7145
    I personally much prefer rosewood boards to maple... so I'm glad I've just picked up my AV65 which is likely to be my last guitar in a good while. 
  • riscadoriscado Frets: 180
    edited July 2017
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    Wondered if this is related to the sudden flurry of interest in my Custom Shop rosewood Strat, which I've decided to keep for now.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    dindude said:
    I think the end (or vastly reduced use) of a rosewood option is pretty sad news.

@guitars4you - what's your retail experience of people's preference at the higher end of maple vs rosewood boards on Fenders out of interest? My completely unfounded belief is that rosewood boards outsell maple currently, I may be very wrong.
    On my Custom Shop sales I bet it is 2/3 to 1/3 - that is r/wood to maple  - that is on Strats   - maybe even 3/4 to 1/4

Yet on Tele's I bet it is reverse

But Strats outsell Teles by again 2/3 to 1/3 maybe 3/4 to 1/4
  • McTootMcToot Frets: 2041
    I'm still amazed they get so many guitar fretboards out of that spiky bastard of a bush in my front garden...

;) 

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

My trading feedback  - I'm a good egg  ;) 

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2331
    edited April 2017
    A few random thoughts;

- Crafty old Mayer, no wonder he got PRS to make him a Strat.

- Best sales ploy this year. There'll be a queue outside the dealers tomorrow as we panic buy like the great bread and sugar shortages of the 70's.

- Maple, Hendrix, Gilmour, Clapton, Knopfler, Holly, Stevie Ray all sounded just as great when they played maple neck Strats.

- Pau Ferro, Ebony, are all great alternatives, only the cork sniffers are going to snort at them.

- Fender are financially a long way up shit creek, no wonder they are scrambling for alternatives as rosewood as CITES slow down their cash flow.

- Wonder how much the prices will rise between now and the END! 

- Would Coda be unhappy if I bought all 35 of their rosewood Custom Shops tomorrow? It might be a better investment and return than the bloody Natwest give me on my money.

- I bloody hate rosewood boards anyway.

- We're on the verge of WWIII, all this won't matter as that nuke approaches the 51st state.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    African Blackwood is a actually a true rosewood...
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    I'm not that bothered there's more than enough rosewood board fenders which will turn up on the secondhand market for everyone several times over.   
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1756
    Cynical bit of marketing if you ask me, I am sure Fender are hurting but once the system is in place it will work just fine. 

Totally stopping buying wood from  consider managed sustainable sources will only put more strain on the rosewood as that loss of income will need to be recovered. perhaps via blackmarket sales. None of this stuff is very enforceable on the ground in emerging economies. 

If there are better sustainable woods that work such as Pau Ferro then they certainly should be used instead of on low priced instruments but this whole thing has become a sledge hammer to crack a walnut. Which ultimately the prestige Asian furniture market. 
  • RoxRox Frets: 2147
    I await the "RARE pre-CITES Fender ROSEWOOD board GUITAR" EBay listings...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7076
    How will this effect us middle of the food chain bedroom noodlers?
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!