What's Hot

Comments

• Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3422
    Adrian Belew, anyone? David Torn?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3422
    Then there's Henry Kaiser ;)
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Although he's more building on a wide sphere of world music/blues/jazz influences, I think Blake Mills is really starting to influence the way people who know his playings approach. He definitely has changed the way I think about guitar and many of my friends.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I think quite a few names mentioned have made a small impact on guitar playing, yes they are great technically proficient etc but their impact was minor in the scale of EVH bursting on the scene. 
    Like I say I am not a rock fan, but EVH just blew everyone away, even to the layman in the street who didn't play guitar, this was something way out there, same with Jimi Hendrix etc.
  • In fact I would say Chuck Berry, Hank Marvin, Eric Clapton, Jimi Hendrix and EVH are the only guitarists that really changed the game for everyone and influenced just about everyone with a guitar. 
    Yes Page, Beck and countless others were probably better but none had the impact. 
  • lysanderlysander Frets: 574
    Danny1969 said:

Personally I don't think anyone has done anything technique wise that has had the impact Van Halen had .... I mean guys can pick faster and tap faster but those techniques were his first. He was also the first guy I ever heard tap out harmonics like the intro of Mean Streets and the first guy I heard do crazy wide picked intervals like Ice-cream man. When I think of all the techniqies rock guitairst use now it's all VH originally 

The big difference is Van Halen can also write killer riffs and play with such a groove that the music cross's over to non musicians ... something people like Vai, Gilbert etc never seem to manage although Gilbert came close with Mr big on one album

Country rock is where the killer techniques are now for me, incredible players in that field

Would you mind giving a few good country rock references ? I do like Brad Paisley if he qualifies, though I'm a bit tired of it now, harmonically there's not much going on.
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    Yes. So many.

Also as much as some may not want to admit it, Ed Sheeran. He's inspired a generation of acoustic guitarists with looper pedals already.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2932
    Then again, there is always Fred Frith. Although technically he was around in the '70's, but still innovating.
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6385
    Deijavoo said:

Also as much as some may not want to admit it, Ed Sheeran. He's inspired a generation of acoustic guitarists with looper pedals already.
    Think KT Tunstall easily beat him to that one, but nevertheless the inspiration bit is definitely true
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6385
    re: OP guitar playing has, rock guitar perhaps not so much - listen to some modern jazz guitar players, astounding !
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15482
    I think quite a few names mentioned have made a small impact on guitar playing, yes they are great technically proficient etc but their impact was minor in the scale of EVH bursting on the scene. 
    Like I say I am not a rock fan, but EVH just blew everyone away, even to the layman in the street who didn't play guitar, this was something way out there, same with Jimi Hendrix etc.

ah, so no we're moving the goal posts. OK. Has guitar playing advanced since an arbitarily chosen date? yes, undoubtably. Have the mindless plebs that queue up to watch X factor heard of any of them? No.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BarneyBarney Frets: 615
    Jalapeno said:
    re: OP guitar playing has, rock guitar perhaps not so much - listen to some modern jazz guitar players, astounding !
    Julian lage springs to mind...
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11564
    tFB Trader
    Sometimes guitar playing and technique have advanced but are unlistenable to anyone but guitar devotees.
    In the 70s and much of the 80s there was a lot of great guitar in rock & pop songs and it was often melodic and fitted the music it was contained within. It was memorable and hummable by anyone who listened.

That seems to have been by and large a lost thing in some circles in my opinion.

One area where it is sadly missing is R&B and disco (showing my age now) music. 
    Late 70s disco bands had awesome bands playing the music . 
    Now it's all samples or artificial EDM (and no cost of having musicians to pay).

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • BarneyBarney Frets: 615
    Sometimes guitar playing and technique have advanced but are unlistenable to anyone but guitar devotees.
    In the 70s and much of the 80s there was a lot of great guitar in rock & pop songs and it was often melodic and fitted the music it was contained within. It was memorable and hummable by anyone who listened.

That seems to have been by and large a lost thing in some circles in my opinion.

One area where it is sadly missing is R&B and disco (showing my age now) music. 
    Late 70s disco bands had awesome bands playing the music . 
    Now it's all samples or artificial EDM (and no cost of having musicians to pay).
    I think you just summed up my feelings as well...
  • DanjiDanji Frets: 225
    Pat Metheny - even 8th note approach to jazz
    Alan Holdsworth - expanded the harmony (reaching for the uncommon chord)
    Ted Greene - Baroque like improvisations

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9655
    Re the original question, my guitar playing has, sadly, hardly progressed at all since the late 70s.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BigLicks67BigLicks67 Frets: 766
    For acoustic Michael Hedges developed a style in the 80's that is widely used now.
    For Rock Tom Morello did some weird and wonderful stuff for RATM
    For Jazz If you listen to say Wes Montgomery and then Pat Metheny you can hear transition and modernity of Metheny's approach.
    For classical the world now seems to teem with talented guitarists, rather than just Bream, Williams and the ghost of Segovia in the old days.

Also, I vehemently reject the idea that EVH changed the face of guitar playing, but let's not open that can of worms again.
  • VimFuego said:
    I think quite a few names mentioned have made a small impact on guitar playing, yes they are great technically proficient etc but their impact was minor in the scale of EVH bursting on the scene. 

ah, so no we're moving the goal posts. OK. Has guitar playing advanced since an arbitarily chosen date? yes, undoubtably. Have the mindless plebs that queue up to watch X factor heard of any of them? No.
    No, my point still stands, who has really changed guitar in a huge way, all these other guitarists are all great, some even far superior to EVH but did they change guitar playing in a genre or across all borders and seriously giving a wow factor to everyone involved. 
    Take for example, Albert Lee as part of the hot band, yes he was pretty amazing to most who heard him, but when you know the genre you know of other players around at same time to see where Alberts style came from and was influenced by. Speedy West, Don Rich, James Burton etc. 
    I can understand how some guitarists who have studied the guitar so much that they can play pretty much anything they think of, and also their style is probably influencing other players, but I personally fail to see any that have had same impact than EVH.
    Maybe it's because we have seen so much, that we fail to be so amazed anymore? 
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7762
    ^ amongst guitarists SRV was huge in influence. You will still see many players copping his style whereas EVH-isms have largely disappeared. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ^ amongst guitarists SRV was huge in influence. You will still see many players copping his style whereas EVH-isms have largely disappeared. 
    Actually that's a good point, although I personally didn't think he did anything particularly new, just did it all better. He did really influence a lot of musicians.