RIP Allan Holdsworth

What's Hot

Comments

• scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11291
    I remember hearing the IOU album for the first time and thinking "well, that's another thing I'll never be able to play".
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TelejesterTelejester Frets: 743
    Absolutely tragic
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2168
    Genuinely gutted by this :( monstrously talented musician and a gracious self effacing guy. I met him a few times after a few gigs and he was always super humble. 
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • Such sad news. One of my heroes, as I'm sure is true for many on here.  
  • MoominpapaMoominpapa Frets: 1649
    Terrible news. This is very depressing.
  • MegiiMegii Frets: 1670

• BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    bigjon said:
    The greatest musician of my lifetime. Guitar solo at 4:50 but the whole track is beautiful.

That is staggering.

I'm still so sad about this. He was a true master of the instrument. He almost seemed to have transcended it, in fact...
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11590
    tFB Trader
    Very sad to hear of his passing, and acknowledge the high regard he is held in by so many players.

His music wasn't my cup of tea, I tried to get into him in the mid80s when EVH was raving about him but his musical approach just didn't touch me. I think he was very much a musician's musician, and he is held in very high regard.
    My thoughts are with his family, friends and with those that his playing meant so much to.

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• blobbblobb Frets: 2942
    Zappa said several times that Holdsworth was his favourite guitar player. That's some endorsement.
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • westwest Frets: 996

;( X
  • westwest Frets: 996

The sheer beauty in some of his compositions staggered me , a true innovator of the electric guitar , maybe risk  a pint of landlord ln tribute later ,,
  • Always sad when another great leaves. Not my style of music at all, but can't deny his undoubted talent. 
  • stevehsteveh Frets: 228
    Gutted, really gutted.
    Many great musicians have died these last few years but Allan's death is the first to really hit me personally. I have listened to him since the early 80s and saw him live whenever he came to the UK. I listen to his music a lot.

"Genius" is bandied around so often but I doubt there are many who would deny Holdsworth that title, both for his complete technical facility on the instrument and his unique, astonishing improvisational skills. A true innovator whose like we will not see again.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BarneyBarney Frets: 616
    Totally shocked... true inovator
  • SidNewtonSidNewton Frets: 660
    Saddened to hear this. He was a truly spectacular talent especially his solo output.
    This is one of my favourites using the Synthaxe. Wonderful technique and phrasing.

• VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 1036
    he and his family were apparently broke - a family friend set up a fund about 15 hours ago to raise enough for his funeral. Raised over $50k so far - amazing :) https://www.gofundme.com/allanholdsworthmemorial
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    Absolute legend. 
  • BradBrad Frets: 659
    "He is the leader in a field of one" - Bill Bruford. 

That just sums up Holdsworth for me. Utterly uncompromising in his musical vision. It took a while for the penny to drop, but once I got him, there was no way back. 

His work with Jimmy Johnson and Chad Wackerman (particularly live in Tokyo) is my still my favourite trio (got to see that lineup about 10 years ago), very closely followed by his time with the criminally underrated Gary Novak and Dave Carpenter (another gone too soon). 

I'll be raising a pint in his honour. 
  • Bummer.  Met him in an airport bar once.  He was real nice.