Aeropress

What's Hot

Comments

• If you wanted to compare flavour profiles, you *could* make a moka with the same amount of coffee (14g of coffee is a 2 or 3 cup moka pot), complete the extraction, measure the amount of beverage you get then make it up to 220g with hot water. In theory, they should be pretty similar, although I'd generally expect a moka to have more fines and thus bitterness. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28093
    I am quite happy leaving shots for when I am out and about - as you say, lots of faff and expense that I don't need at home. At most I might (at some point) go for a decent bean-to-cup machine.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • Sporky said:
    I am quite happy leaving shots for when I am out and about - as you say, lots of faff and expense that I don't need at home. At most I might (at some point) go for a decent bean-to-cup machine.

There are some good ones, for sure. Bellabarista reckon the Melitta ones are a decent compromise between being easy to use and producing a decent shot.

I can't be bothered. :) I tend to prefer brewed drinks anyway, although every now and then I really crave a delicious milky drink. I love Rave fudge blend through moka - it changes recipe every few months, but it's always sweet and fudgey with milk. Not horrendously expensive, either. 

The only problem I have with brewed drinks is the sheer amount of caffeine. In a V60, I use 12g coffee, 200g final output, and if I have more than two in a day I'm pretty buzzy, and Moka seems to extract yet more... Two double shot espressos though (totally about 36g coffee bean) tends not to bother me. On the plus side, a bag of coffee tends to last about a fortnight. 
  • shrinkwrapshrinkwrap Frets: 512
    Sainsbury's Sumatra Mandheling - through a cafetiere - it's the mutt's.
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    edited May 2017
    Sporky said:

Any suggestions on making the output of the Aeropress more vicious and tar-like?
    This still won't get to Mokka levels but try this:
    Use two paper filters at a time, one on top of the other.
    Water just off the boil -- as hot as possible without buggering the coffee.
    Bloom, top up, leave for a few mins.  Stir of course.
    Now...
    Put your sturdy coffee cup on the floor (this is not a technique for bone china)
    Aeropress on the cup
    Both hands on the Aeropress and press down using a squat and your body weight.
    The double paper will provide more resistance so you can generate more pressure.
    Be careful!

Eventually the rubber bung gets worn then at some point you will experience an amusing component failure and hot coffee will go everywhere.  Make sure you don't jeopardise your safety:  be prepared to retain your balance as the plunger rapidly pistons into the scalding liquid.  This is the time to replace the rubber bung. 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MossMoss Frets: 2409
    Just put in an order for some Rwandan from Hasbean

Will report back my findings
    Stop crying, start buying
  • Moss said:

I've always enjoyed hasbean and rave coffees. I'm sure you'll like it, so long as you grind it right and brew it well, they've never sent me a bag of badly roasted coffee.
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1770
    I very nearly bought an aeropress last night! There was an advert on facebook from Pact coffee for an aeropress and 250g of their coffee for about £20 (should have been more like £34 at standard prices). I got halfway through the form before getting distracted and now I can't find the advert or any evidence online that it ever existed  :((
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • chrispy108chrispy108 Frets: 2336
    edited May 2017
    Moss said:

I've always enjoyed hasbean and rave coffees. I'm sure you'll like it, so long as you grind it right and brew it well, they've never sent me a bag of badly roasted coffee.
    Oh I've had plenty from there before - my favourite roastery (maybe joint with Caravan)

The coffee sounds right up my street - heavy lime notes
  • BigMonka said:
    I very nearly bought an aeropress last night! There was an advert on facebook from Pact coffee for an aeropress and 250g of their coffee for about £20 (should have been more like £34 at standard prices). I got halfway through the form before getting distracted and now I can't find the advert or any evidence online that it ever existed  :((

If it's for work or travel, that's a good deal. I really love my aeropress, it's so easy to get a nice drink out of it. Just ignore the instructions! 

Pact coffee isn't all that though - I just went with them for a free V60 and a pack of filters (sadly they sent brown ones so they need a rinse, they do taste strange otherwise). I got the recommended coffee for V60, although to be honest it's a slightly heavier roast than I'd normally have in a pour over and it's not spectacular, although it does hit the tasting notes of plum with a citrus finish, which is better than some coffee suppliers! 

I cancelled the subscription immediately after it arrived and switched back to hasbean in my mug, which works out at £6.50 per bag, freshly roasted, and always damn good. 

They sometimes send out some gems, too - bags you'd ordinarily pay more than a tenner for due to the coffee being quite exclusive or particularly high scoring. All in all, a very good value subscription compared to pact (which I found overpriced at about £8 a bag and the coffees were decent but not exceptional). 
  • Moss said:
    Moss said:

Oh I've had plenty from there before - my favourite roastery (maybe joint with Caravan)

The best coffee I ever had was a Kenyan from hasbean, although I can't remember the region... 

The tasting notes were literally, "blackcurrant. Seriously guys, it's blackcurrant". It was pretty cheap, too, so I thought I'd have a punt and after a few days resting it seriously was like a sweet blackcurrant drink. Never had coffee like it, and I've not seen it come back (although I can't, for the life of me, remember the name). 
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    edited May 2017

The tasting notes were literally, "blackcurrant. Seriously guys, it's blackcurrant". It was pretty cheap, too, so I thought I'd have a punt and after a few days resting it seriously was like a sweet blackcurrant drink. Never had coffee like it, and I've not seen it come back (although I can't, for the life of me, remember the name). 
    Ribena?
  • Grunfeld said:

Ribena?

Nah, that's sugary as hell and doesn't taste much like blackcurrant to boot... 
    Moss said:
    Moss said:

The best coffee I ever had was a Kenyan from hasbean, although I can't remember the region... 

They've arrived, and they're awesome - everything they're described to be on the first try

These, if anyone's interested
  • roundthebendroundthebend Frets: 1137
    Aeropress came to my rescue today. I bought one to try out for my campervan and for the office. New chap started at work also has a campervan which he brings to work (I walk). Our coffee machine broke and I fancied a real coffee with one of the doughnuts I brought in on my last day.....so he nipped over to his van and grabbed the Aeropress.

Lovely cuppa indeed, and so easy to clean up.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17597
    tFB Trader
    Bit of a necrobump, but I've just bought one of these and I'm very impressed.

I've been WFH which means I've been absolutely rattling through the Nespresso pods and I don't always want to drink espresso. I've been using Lavazza pre ground espresso powder so far and I must say it makes a very good cup of coffee.

Pretty comparable to the bean to cup machine we had at my old work which I think was about £800.

Not bad for £25!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 982

I've been WFH which means I've been absolutely rattling through the Nespresso pods and I don't always want to drink espresso. I've been using Lavazza pre ground espresso powder so far and I must say it makes a very good cup of coffee.

Pretty comparable to the bean to cup machine we had at my old work which I think was about £800.

Not bad for £25!
    Was it a Jura machine? 
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17597
    tFB Trader
    duotone said:

Not bad for £25!
    Was it a Jura machine? 

Nope was a primadonna which having checked is actually £1200.

• Matt_McGMatt_McG Frets: 322
    I find I am happy with all kinds of fancy cofffees in a V60, but ordinary red Lavazza is near perfect in the aeropress. Get a bit of crema, strong but not bitter. I do use more coffee and brew for longer than the standard instructions, though.