Aeropress

What's Hot

Comments

• duotoneduotone Frets: 983
    duotone said:
    Bit of a necrobump, but I've just bought one of these and I'm very impressed.

I've been WFH which means I've been absolutely rattling through the Nespresso pods and I don't always want to drink espresso. I've been using Lavazza pre ground espresso powder so far and I must say it makes a very good cup of coffee.

Pretty comparable to the bean to cup machine we had at my old work which I think was about £800.

Not bad for £25!
    Was it a Jura machine? 

Nope was a primadonna which having checked is actually £1200.

Ah ok I’ll have to have a google for that brand.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Bit of a necrobump, but I've just bought one of these and I'm very impressed.

I've been WFH which means I've been absolutely rattling through the Nespresso pods and I don't always want to drink espresso. I've been using Lavazza pre ground espresso powder so far and I must say it makes a very good cup of coffee.

Pretty comparable to the bean to cup machine we had at my old work which I think was about £800.

Not bad for £25!

Wait till you get craft roast beans and grind them yourself.

actually, making a great cup of joe is what is best about the aero press - impossible to burn and very hard to over extract. Just ignore th3 instructions and it’s amazing!

Not bad for £25!

actually, making a great cup of joe is what is best about the aero press - impossible to burn and very hard to over extract. Just ignore th3 instructions and it’s amazing!
    How fine do you grind the beans? I've got a manual grinder but it takes ages so I've set it to a more coarse grind.

And what method do you use of you ignore the instructions? I do the upside down one, mostly for convenience.

Not bad for £25!

How fine do you grind the beans? I've got a manual grinder but it takes ages so I've set it to a more coarse grind.

And what method do you use of you ignore the instructions? I do the upside down one, mostly for convenience.

Just medium - coarse, like a French press (because that's really what it is - a cleaner French press). 

Upside down for ease, about 12g coffee fill to the brim with off the boil water, steep while you have a shower. Because the water cools fast, it won't over extract and you'll get a decent cup of coffee :) 

Does well with light roasts too. 
  • Craft beans , craft beer , gin being fashionable  I feel like I’m living in another world. I’ve always enjoyed a weak cup of gold blend by Nescafé with plenty of milk  or a special treat , some of that camp coffee made of chicory out a bottle . Simple pleasures . Well gold blend is a bit expensive now so it’s usually supermarket gold blend or another fave , mellow birds 
  • Craft beans , craft beer , gin being fashionable  I feel like I’m living in another world. I’ve always enjoyed a weak cup of gold blend by Nescafé with plenty of milk  or a special treat , some of that camp coffee made of chicory out a bottle . Simple pleasures . Well gold blend is a bit expensive now so it’s usually supermarket gold blend or another fave , mellow birds 

None of them are new things - actually, they're generally the earlier way of doing things when quality was more important than efficiency or consistency.
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11875
    Nothing wrong liking good quality stuff.  Our society/economy with mass factory production has streamlined many many items in the name of convenience but in exchange it loses the quality.  People just like to go back to the beginning and do things the old fashion way.  Some say that’s hip and some say it’s craft, what it really is just the real thing.  It’s no different than liking a home cooked meal than a microwaved meal really.
  • Not a fan of AeroPress at all. Leaks, crap cafetière style brew, messy, pissing about with inverted brews and paper filters, nah pure 1980s kitchen gadgetry BS.

Still happy with my moka pots :-) 
    Link to my trading feedback: http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58787/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Not a fan of AeroPress at all. Leaks, crap cafetière style brew, messy, pissing about with inverted brews and paper filters, nah pure 1980s kitchen gadgetry BS.

I rather do V60 than aeropress.  Gave mine away.
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5157
    I love my Aeropress... I love basic coffee, nothing fancy just filter coffee...I use it every morning  :)
  • Not a fan of AeroPress at all. Leaks, crap cafetière style brew, messy, pissing about with inverted brews and paper filters, nah pure 1980s kitchen gadgetry BS.

I rather do V60 than aeropress.  Gave mine away.
    Haven’t tried v60, might give that a try in the office where a moka pot doesn’t work.
    tone1 said:
    I love my Aeropress... I love basic coffee, nothing fancy just filter coffee...I use it every morning  :)
    If it works for you great! I just thought it was a massive faff to make coffee that wasn’t any better than a much easier to use and clean cafetière.

I wouldn’t say that I was a coffee guru by any stretch but I just really preferred the stuff that came out of my moka pot than the aeropress 

Lots of other people seem to swear by them but I was like wtf? Maybe I’m doing it wrong!
    Link to my trading feedback: http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58787/
  • GrangousierGrangousier Frets: 2631
    Not being able to use a Moka (induction hob - though maybe they've developed and induction-friendly one by now) I moved to Aeropress a few years ago - on my second now, in fact. If you follow their instructions, the cup it makes is quite different from a cafetière - definitely stronger, reminds me of the kind of thing you get in Japanese boutique coffee shops (isn't being a bit pretentious a part of this kind of conversation?). I grind the beans on almost espresso setting, use a bit more water than recommended and do end up with a strong - and nice - cup of coffee. 

Am tempted to try one of these, though:

It’s nice trying different kinds of brewing methods but for me....

espresso machine if I want a concentrated shot or varies kind of drink.

if I want to go filtered style then V60.

i also have a Chemex I seldom use as it’s simply a large V60.  

I use a cafeteria at work because it is the easiest thing, reusable filter and I can make 2 - 3 cups at a time for me and a colleague.

Don’t use moka pot because of the espresso machine. Don’t have any other pressure kind of coffee extraction machines because of the espresso machine.

i find that you only need an espresso machine and a V60, everything else seems redundant.
  • ewalewal Frets: 2583
    I agree Aeropress is over-rated. I get much the same results with a cafetiere
    The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17604
    tFB Trader
    ewal said:
    I agree Aeropress is over-rated. I get much the same results with a cafetiere

I totally disagree on that.

I really hate cafitiere coffee I'd actually rather drink instant and I hate cleaning them.

Aeropress tastes very different to me and once you eject the compressed plug of coffee it's pretty much clean.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • I don't understand how any of you think a cafetiere is easier to use than an Aeropress. 
    I use an Aeropress each morning, my wife uses a cafetiere.  Cleaning the cafetiere is a complete pain in the balls. If I have to do it once more it will be grounds for divorce.
    I bought one after listening to the R4 (Radio 4) podcast called 'The Godshot'.
    I know we don't listen to experts any more, but all of the experts agreed that the best way to make coffee at home without buying a commercial espresso machine is the Aeropress.
    I like the coffee to steep for a short time so once I insert the plunger I withdraw it to create a slight vacuum effect which holds the coffee in the aeropress.

• ewalewal Frets: 2583
    Typing this while my Aeropress brews which I use at home, and I use a cafetiere at work. I agree that it's easier to clean, but that's about it.

Stating the obvious here, but by far the biggest factor is the quality of the coffee.
    The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13941
    edited August 2019
    What a load of pretentious faff, all you need is a large mug, boiling water, Tetley teabag, water, milk and sweetener/sugar. Done.

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17604
    tFB Trader
    What a load of pretentious faff, all you need is a large mug, boiling water, Tetley teabag, water, milk and sweetener/sugar. Done.

Feel free to keep further unhelpful contributions to yourself.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ewal said:
    Typing this while my Aeropress brews which I use at home, and I use a cafetiere at work. I agree that it's easier to clean, but that's about it.

Stating the obvious here, but by far the biggest factor is the quality of the coffee.
    Agreed that the beans are important.
    There is a coffee shop local to me that exclusively uses aeropresses to allow customers to try different roasts.
    I think it is a nice idea but many do not like it as top ups are not available.