Dylan

What's Hot
SRichSRich Frets: 763
Off to see His Bobness tonight in Cardiff......I'll pass on your regards.

"There's things I want, there's things I think I want 
There's things I've had, there's things I wanna have" 
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RavenousRavenous Frets: 1484
    SRich said:
    Off to see His Bobness tonight in Cardiff......I'll pass on your regards.

Miserable bugger.  He'll probably just send Patti Smith as a replacement.

(But if he does turn up, enjoy!)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601

Cool man ... enjoy.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28341
    A couple of big fans at work. They say he really can't sing any more but they still keep going. I could never see the interest personally but I have always been a 'music' person and not that bothered with lyrics.
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    I prefer Dylans songs when other people cover them. 
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6398
    axisus said:
    A couple of big fans at work. They say he really can't sing any more ... <snip>.
    Did he ever really sing ?
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Enjoy. Band mate of mine saw him in London last week and said he was great. 

I last saw him live on the Love & Theft tour in the early 00s and to be honest he was a bit dodgy. Took a while to recognise each song, and there was no interaction with the audience. Great backing band though.

I always been a big fan of his records but after that never felt the need to see him live again.
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6115
    edited May 2017
    Jalapeno said:
    axisus said:
    A couple of big fans at work. They say he really can't sing any more ... <snip>.
    Did he ever really sing ?
    There's an argument that he can't sing but he opened the door wide for a lot of artists who didn't fulfill the ideal of what a 'singer' should be - for that alone he's owed a lot. Seems that it is swinging back the other way now (thank you S Cowell) and the radio is filled with vacuous clowns with little between the ears who are blessed with perfect pitch and are determined to prove it, every bar of every song.

And he wrote a few good tunes too...

And kick started the sixties...

And turned the Beatles on.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7344
    make sure he says thank you...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

You quite often hear the notion that it's a sign of a good song that if you play it with just guitar and vocal it still works. Whereas with Bob his solo acoustic stuff just seems to be a tuneless ramble which works better for me if someone else ( Hendrix and Winter off the top of my head or just Bob working with a band)interprets it. Still, he's a legend and I'm sure he employs great musicians so I'm sure I'd still enjoy him live, but probably not one I'd go out of my way for.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24849
    edited May 2017
    My sister (who's 20 years my senior) once said she'd give 'anything' to see Dylan live.

A few months later he announced a tour with Mark Knopfler. Having checked tickets were available, I rang her to see if she wanted to go?

"How much are the tickets?"

"£136"

"I'm not paying that much!"
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

You quite often hear the notion that it's a sign of a good song that if you play it with just guitar and vocal it still works. Whereas with Bob his solo acoustic stuff just seems to be a tuneless ramble which works better for me if someone else ( Hendrix and Winter off the top of my head or just Bob working with a band)interprets it. Still, he's a legend and I'm sure he employs great musicians so I'm sure I'd still enjoy him live, but probably not one I'd go out of my way for.
    His initial success was based around his mastery of acoustic guitar, voice and song. Blowin in the Wind, Girl from the North Country, It's Alright Ma, Tuneless ramble? Have a Wow!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4654
    A great songwrite but as said before, better when other people cover his songs.
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12423
    Not many singers that have zero regard for what the audience wants yet still fill massive places.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72619
    My sister (who's 20 years my senior) once said she'd give 'anything' to see Dylan live.

A few months later he announced a tour with Mark Knopfler. Having checked tickets were available, I rang her to see if she wanted to go?

"How much are the tickets?"

"£136"

"I'm not paying that much!"
    Maybe that's what Meat Loaf meant when he sang that he'd do anything for love… but not that?

:)

I actually think Dylan can sing by the way - in terms of notes and pitching, and certainly in expression. It's just that he has a very nasal tonality that makes it sound like he can't.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16301
    JezWynd said:

His initial success was based around his mastery of acoustic guitar, voice and song. Blowin in the Wind, Girl from the North Country, It's Alright Ma, Tuneless ramble? Have a Wow!
    Well, it's stuff I've avoided for a long time, maybe I'd appreciate it more now although as I tend to be not very interested in lyrics I'm not sure. Blowing in the Wind was one of two songs my brother ever played on guitar so it's a hurdle to get past that memory as well - he might have lead me to believe it was tuneless. 

Lots of stuff that's clearly very clever by all sorts of people that I don't necessarily appreciate;  I understand that just because I don't like it doesn't mean it's not any good. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9874
    Enjoy, I know I'd like to see him even if he is past his best vocally, a massive icon who as stated above has consistently done the music he wants to do, regardless of whether that's what's expected of him. What a man
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22252
    I saw him a few years ago and it was awful. Vic Reeves doing his pub singer routine over a well trained backing band. I've generally been albums above live performance though. It's why I've never gone to see Brian Wilson despite being a huge Wilson fanboy. 

• jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12423
    Thing is he doesn't have to reallly do anything, he's Bob Dylan. The legend does all the work. People would pay to watch an icon read a shopping list, almost as though just being in the same room is touching the hand of god or something. He came about at the time when icons were being created at the start of a cultural revolution. Nowadays his younger self wouldn't  make tuppence  busking on the underground. Right place right time. He did have a way with words  60 yrs ago or whatever.

"OUR TOSSPOT"
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3094
    Get in there early. 7.30 start when we saw him and back outside again by 9.30. Enjoyable but he wants to be in bed by 10pm it seems.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

JezWynd said:

Well, it's stuff I've avoided for a long time, maybe I'd appreciate it more now although as I tend to be not very interested in lyrics I'm not sure. Blowing in the Wind was one of two songs my brother ever played on guitar so it's a hurdle to get past that memory as well - he might have lead me to believe it was tuneless. 

Lots of stuff that's clearly very clever by all sorts of people that I don't necessarily appreciate;  I understand that just because I don't like it doesn't mean it's not any good. 
    Those kind of things can cause permanent damage.  :s

I've been a big Dylan fan since I heard the Greatest Hits its soon after its release back in the 60's, but I've never been tempted to go and see him live. It's a bit of a lottery which Bob turns up to the gig. That said, his touring bands in recent years have been top notch so even if Bob declines to perform you can be sure to have a great time. Enjoy.  :)